Let's talk mountain bikes

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Exactly as the thread title states. Looking to continue working to get my fat a$$ into better physical condition and looking for a decent mountain bike. Mostly for touring around the country side and for riding with the boy, but might be interested in trying some downhill craziness as well.

Whats a good non expensive mountain bike to start with?

Keep in mind I am 5'11 and 280 pounds currently so need something fat guy friendly too.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kijji... try it ride it set yourself to whatever budget you need to get started see if its your thing. Upgrade from there.

• Admin

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Kijji... try it ride it set yourself to whatever budget you need to get started see if its your thing. Upgrade from there.
I just don't know what to look for. As a kid we got bikes from where ever. No idea what they were or where they came from.

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Central Sled and Cycle brought these in for the second year in a row. Does 40 km/h. 80-100 km range. Can adjust how much assistance you want with a push of the button. Reasonable price for Ebike at $2300

Attachments

• 4F5715DF-6138-442F-92D8-A969B26C0F94.jpg
    4F5715DF-6138-442F-92D8-A969B26C0F94.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 217

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I suggest going to a couple bike shops close to you and chat. Not alot of bikes available but bigger shops have some inventory.
Fit is crucial and a good shop will make sure.
A good entry level bike is going to cost $1000-2000. A brand name all mountain hard tail with plus sized tires(2.8-3.0) would be a place to start looking. Hydraulic brakes, dropper seat post and suspension fork are must.
All mountain is a burlier build than cross country. Better for bigger people and will take more abuse.
Enduro is more downhill but still pedals good.
Dual suspension is more money amd tougher to set up for heavier riders.
You will get better parts spec on a hard tail than same priced dual suspension.
If you want to get into more money ebikes are the fastest growing segment.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Central Sled and Cycle brought these in for the second year in a row. Does 40 km/h. 80-100 km range. Can adjust how much assistance you want with a push of the button. Reasonable price for Ebike at $2300
That looks like a basic Chinese Ebike. Knock of components etc.
Bikes are like tools, buy a good one so it lasts more than a year.
Stick with Norco, Trek, Specialized, Rocky Mountain etc. Lots of good brands out there.
https://www.trekbikes.com/ca/en_CA/...oscoe/roscoe-7/p/28499/?colorCode=orange_grey

Last edited:

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes by all means try them out, at 5,11 you likely need a large frame or even a xl. You won’t need big suspension or a dh bike. Go for something that is a x country or a enduro. A good quality bike will stand up for your needs plus you will have something to sell when you move up or give up. Buying no name or junk will only make your riding experience suck.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I beg to differ.. if he's willing to try a $150 used entry level bike will get him started. Yes there is better and more suited to the individual. He needs to get started. If you want to try Tyler I have a Carbon fiber FSR Specialized 29er she's yours for the weekend.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
I beg to differ.. if he's willing to try a $150 used entry level bike will get him started. Yes there is better and more suited to the individual. He needs to get started. If you want to try Tyler I have a Carbon fiber FSR Specialized 29er she's yours for the weekend.
The $150-200 budget range is where I want to be. Like I said I'd like it for doing evening rides here at home and a STRONG maybe on any downhill type riding.

I'm doing my best to get more active but walking every night isn't motivating me.

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Noted, after trying your specialized he will never want to ride a budget ride again though. Don’t turn that offer down as you will love riding a top of the line bike, super sweet ride right there.

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have a couple voltbikes, a Yukon and an outback, have beat them up and they have hung in there for $1900. I’m sure the posers would say cheap Chinese but I’m happy with them.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
If your looking at bikes to get into better shape then why are people even recommending e-bikes. Those don't help at all to get into shape. Buy a regular cheap bike to start off. As some say you can buy used on Kijiji or even go somewhere like Canadian Tire, where you can get a cheaper bike. If you want to to all in go to somewhere like revolution cycle on stony plain road. Spend a few hundred, if you find your going out a lot, upgrade from there.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/spor...tion=LIT_Category_Product_MountainBikesCat_en

Last edited:

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
If your looking at bikes to get into better shape then why are people even recommending e-bikes. Those don't help at all to get into shape. Buy a regular cheap bike to start off. As some say you can buy used on Kijiji or even go somewhere like Canadian Tire, where you can get a cheaper bike. If you want to to all in go to somewhere like revolution cycle on stony plain road. Spend a few hundred, if you find your going out a lot, upgrade from there.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/spor...tion=LIT_Category_Product_MountainBikesCat_en
Stock levels in stores are the ****s. I was more looking for best styles for entry level to the downhill stuff if I chose to go that route. Would maybe try the Valemount bike park if we go out that way this summer.

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lol if you think your not getting in shape on an ebike you’ve never rode one for real. The ebikes I have run assist from level 0 (no assist) to 9... 35kmh on flat ground but they still need decent pedal power on hills, if you want to shape up ebikes are all about how hard you want to work, great thing is you can ride in areas where with no e assist you’d never do it unless in shape already.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Stock levels in stores are the ****s. I was more looking for best styles for entry level to the downhill stuff if I chose to go that route. Would maybe try the Valemount bike park if we go out that way this summer.
Honestly if you have any ideas of downhill riding do not buy a cheap bike, You will end up in the hospital.
If you want to try downhill riding without spending the money rent a proper bike.
You can get away with a department store bike if you are poking around on the city pathways but please do not ride it downhill.
I have over 20 years experience racing DH/riding bike parks and have seen some awful wrecks on cheap bikes.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lol if you think your not getting in shape on an ebike you’ve never rode one for real. The ebikes I have run assist from level 0 (no assist) to 9... 35kmh on flat ground but they still need decent pedal power on hills, if you want to shape up ebikes are all about how hard you want to work, great thing is you can ride in areas where with no e assist you’d never do it unless in shape already.

Absolutely, ebikes are the best way to get into shape.
My buddies wife used to ride lots before kids, she had a real hard time getting back riding until she got an Ebike. She's lost over 20lbs this winter riding it.

Top Bottom