Haiti is in Ruins

badss

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Holleee cow....was just watching the news and it looks like Haiti is almost totalled from an earthquake. Tens of thousands dead....a complete disaster! Poor poor people, sounds as thou hospitals, emergency services , everything wiped out....we are so fortunate to live in a Country like Canada....God speed to the Haitians for releif aid and support....they need all the help they can get!

rob350

Reaction score
Thanks to the Canadian government for sending the DART immediately.

Unlike the liberals that took a week (how many died waiting?) before they could pull their head out of their ass and give it the go ahead to the tsunami victims. We pay to house, guard, and train those that run it, if we are not going to use it when the time comes why do we have it.

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We were going to Haiti at the end of the month for a two week mission with God's Little Angels to help finish their new orphanage and to rock babies in the nursery. Of course, I was flabbergasted to see the devastation, but was overjoyed to see on the website that the Orphanage was untouched. The babies and children slept the night in the driveway as the aftershocks were coming at a rate of about 10/hour... Now, we wait to see if the mission will still go, and if our jobs will still be the same. Pray.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Very cool of you to volunteer for such a mission, I've got my own children to raise right now but I'd like to think that down the road I will be able to contribute to help in some of the places we take for granted as vacation spots. I was in the DR about 7 years ago which shares the island with haiti, beautiful place, unfortunately the non existant economy and political unrest in haiti will add chaos to the rebuilding process. cite sole is renouned as the largest poverty stricken slum in the world (most foreign military forces will not even enter) and I would guess that most residents there faired well compared to the general population, not many buildings to crumble in a tar-paper shack villiage.
Kinda makes one think about everything we have and how quickly we are to take chit for granted, we complain when it's too cold, too warm, too rainy, to busy, ect......

We were going to Haiti at the end of the month for a two week mission with God's Little Angels to help finish their new orphanage and to rock babies in the nursery. Of course, I was flabbergasted to see the devastation, but was overjoyed to see on the website that the Orphanage was untouched. The babies and children slept the night in the driveway as the aftershocks were coming at a rate of about 10/hour... Now, we wait to see if the mission will still go, and if our jobs will still be the same. Pray.

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
I think Val and I will be sending some cash. Everyone needs to dig deep on this one!! :(

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
7.0!! That's massive!

Estimates this morning are pegging the missing and deceased at near half a million. That's insane! Very sad. Our thoughts are with the people of Haiti.

give_it_all_

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow I hadn't even heard about his quake. Looks like it was really bad. I agree with sledderdoc, gotta send some money to help out. Every time something like this happens, our church matches what is giving by the members so that helps even more.

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Very cool of you to volunteer for such a mission, I've got my own children to raise right now but I'd like to think that down the road I will be able to contribute to help in some of the places we take for granted as vacation spots. I was in the DR about 7 years ago which shares the island with haiti, beautiful place, unfortunately the non existant economy and political unrest in haiti will add chaos to the rebuilding process. cite sole is renouned as the largest poverty stricken slum in the world (most foreign military forces will not even enter) and I would guess that most residents there faired well compared to the general population, not many buildings to crumble in a tar-paper shack villiage.
Kinda makes one think about everything we have and how quickly we are to take chit for granted, we complain when it's too cold, too warm, too rainy, to busy, ect......

For those looking to donate, most mobile phone companies have a program set-up where you can text a pre-determined number and they will donate $5 and add it to your cell phone bill. For Telus customers, the number is 4567-8 and you must text the word "HAITI". I think this is so great... Five dollars isn't a whole lot, but its do-able for most and if we all gave $5 it wouldn't take long to add up. There is also an information area on how to donate and give assistance on the CTV News website... A little goes a long way!!

This is not my first mission, but it is what I consider to be one of the riskiest. As a Mom with 3 girls, I can't really go anywhere too dangerous and I can't leave for months at a time. Last year I went to Romania to do operations in the women's and children's hospitals of Botosani. For political reasons, we were not allowed to return this year. I have to say that "volunteering" is such a rewarding experience, that I benefit as much as those our teams help. It almost seems selfish!! And yes, it sure helps me and my family to appreciate what we have a thousand times over.

rmktime

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes , very sad to hear, also the people that are suffering are getting the short end of the stick when it comes to people thinking they are helping , alot of scams comming up all over asking for donations , was also on the news , people claiming to be helping them, but only helping them selves , alot sick people out there

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Devastation of Biblical Proportions! They said on the news tonight that yesterday's estimate of 500,000 casualties is way too high. Likely closer to 50,000 they're estimating today. Still, unbelievable! The reported said the dead are laying interspersed amongst the live in the make shift hospitals. Piles of bodies up to 12 ft. high outside the hospitals. Everyone is wearing masks to repel the stench. An elementary school with aprox. 700 students pancaked. No survivors recovered. Is this on the same planet we exist on?????? God take care of all the Haitians that remain.:cray:

badss

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Devastation of Biblical Proportions! They said on the news tonight that yesterday's estimate of 500,000 casualties is way too high. Likely closer to 50,000 they're estimating today. Still, unbelievable! The reported said the dead are laying interspersed amongst the live in the make shift hospitals. Piles of bodies up to 12 ft. high outside the hospitals. Everyone is wearing masks to repel the stench. An elementary school with aprox. 700 students pancaked. No survivors recovered. Is this on the same planet we exist on?????? God take care of all the Haitians that remain.:cray:

amen BC Sno-Ghost...amen....you said it well.....just think what all the money that was wasted on the gun registry would do in a situation as this...its gut wretching to watch the news....couldn't even imagine what those poor people are going through....

Top Bottom