It's time to honor the heros! (my open letter to the media)

Oregongirl

Reaction score
I just want to thank everyone for their support and for sending my commentary to others. I had no idea that when I decided to do this that the responses would be so overwhelming.

As I've written previously (although I cannot remember WHERE I wrote it!) I simply sat down with my heart - which was breaking and with great anger and wrote down what I was feeling. I wrote without stopping really, I'd been reading forums and news stories for two days, I knew what I wanted/needed to say. What I published was primarily unedited from it's original content. (Funny how no one that "proofed" the draft caught that I spelled heroes incorrectly!)

Then I took a deep breath and began posting it online. I think after that, I shut down my laptop and went to bed. I was emotionally spent!

I began getting positive feedback from snowmobilers from both countries, coast to coast, almost immediately. There were a dozen or so requests for the pdf version in my email the next morning. :eek: I've since lost count of how many pdf versions I've emailed. Requests to add people as FB friends were coming in every couple of hours or so. I got to the point that if we had a few mutual friends that were from my sledding "community", I would just accept them.

Because each of you have been key to ensuring that this message is distributed, I want to share some of the comments I've received.

"I take my hat of to you. Tears were flowing."

"Great work. Brought tears to my eyes."

"we are all thankful for your message"

"Thank you for putting into words what so many of us are thinking."

"Your words echo the thoughts and feelings of all of us."

"you have put down on paper exactly how if feel and what I believe"

"I just wanted to say you rock"

"you nailed it with this article."

"Amen! Well said."

My biggest concern was how the people who were there that day...the survivors...would respond to my words. And when they started to respond - well they were the most meaningful thanks I could have ever received!

"Thank-you for your understanding, please know how much your words mean to us."

"you've touched my heart in a troubled time."

"I’d like to thank you for writing that very good article."

"thank you for posting those words,because it is very truthful and real."

And of course, there has been some negativity, but out of the 100s of responses they have been limited to TWO. Yes, I said.....I've only received TWO negative responses. WOW!! I am not going to give them any further acknowledgment than that. :nono:

The window to have the major media pick up this story I think has probably passed. BUT - I know that it's going to be published by clubs, associations and some magazines in the coming weeks.

I have noticed that some of the mainstream media in CN have begun to soften there stories a bit. I sit with held breath to see what legislative and/or liability rulings this will have for the future of sledding in BC.

It is my hope that, in both countries, we are forever able to exercise free will when it comes to our personal recreation, safety and risk choices. The backcountry needs to remain free from liability suits. IMO.

Anyway - thanks again for stepping up to the plate!! Turns out that I was the voice (who knew!), but you all were the inspiration and the "choir" (so to speak). :beer::beer::beer:

Oh - and this level of individual advocacy for snowmobiling needs to continue. Assuming that someone else is protecting your right to ride is a fallacy. It's going to take everyones INVOLVEMENT!! A few individuals cannot do it alone. (that's me wearing my SAWS hat) :p

lexy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have it posted on the desk at the hotel I work at for everyone to see...sledders and non-sledders. :d:d:d

sledslut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have it posted on the desk at the hotel I work at for everyone to see...sledders and non-sledders. :d:d:d

we have that on the counter at work as well and everyone takes the time to read it. and we are also hounding everyone that comes in the doors with the candles to remember. we only just got an order forum. and i think we will have lots more sold asap!!

psnider

Reaction score

I have dropped a copy off at the sled dealers here in calgary and hand delivered to the the calgary sun and calgary herald.

ohenry

Reaction score
Please feel free to distribute this message on forums, to the media, etc. If you want a pdf copy to distribute send me an email at susie.rainsberry@comcast.net

It’s time to honor the heros.
Written by Susie Rainsberry
March 15, 2010

It’s been several days now since the tragic avalanche at Turbo Hill. The latest reports are that two are deceased and three are still hospitalized. The media is also reporting that there were 200 snowmobilers at Turbo at the time of the slide. The avalanche is reported to have been up to 150 meters wide and 10 meters deep. That, my friends, is a BIG avalanche!

I’d like to put some perspective on this – a snowmobiler’s perspective. Apparently no one in the media is a snowmobiler or is concerned about taking the time to gather the facts – not just the bad, but the good as well. And there is good to be heard in this story. If you ask a snowmobiler – they’d be able to tell you what that is. But either the media isn’t asking, or has heard it and doesn’t feel that the facts are newsworthy.

However, I feel these facts are the MOST newsworthy topic of this entire tragedy.

Saturday afternoon, following the close of the events for the annual Big Iron Shootout, a large group of snowmobilers headed to Turbo Bowl to make a run at the hill. As the riders lined up at the bottom of the hill, the mass of spectators parked their sleds and prepared to enjoy the show. As one of the sleds turned out towards the top, the hillside gave way. Thundering down the mountain it came – taking sleds and riders with it. This powerful act of nature happens in a split second. There is no time to react.

The time to react is as soon as it stops. And react – with speed and knowledge – in the midst of chaos – is what those sledders did. There were no typical first responders to this catastrophe in the immediate moments following the avalanche. Only snowmobilers. Those same snowmobilers that the media is painting with a broad stroke as crazy, ignorant, thrill-seekers.

As a back country snowmobiler myself, I can tell you that ignorant is not a word that I would use to describe those survivors. I would call them heroes! And justly so. In the midst of what may have been the most terrifying minutes of their lives, they turned their avalanche beacons to search, they got out their probes and their shovels and they started rescue protocols IMMEDIATELY – likely while in a state of shock. They dug out those that were buried, they triaged the injured, they administered first aid, they built fires to keep them warm until the helicopters arrived. These people were heroic!! Without their quick and educated responses, many more people would have died.

I am angered that the media is so eager to report this story that they are being so disgraceful to the victims and survivors. These people need support and compassion. They do not need to be stereotyped and degraded in the media or by anyone else. Shame on you!! Didn’t your mother teach you better manners than that?

I’m not done though – there is way more information about snowmobilers in respect to the Big Iron Shootout and Revelstoke that the media hasn’t covered yet. While they gleefully report that this is an unsanctioned (I’ll get to that in a moment) event drew 200 sledders (despite the grave warnings from the avalanche center), what they aren’t telling you is that there are likely double that number of snowmobilers who DIDN’T attend this year’s event – because of the conditions. Snowmobilers who DID heed the warnings.

As I was reading the snowmobiling forums and Facebook on Saturday evening, the same story continued to repeat itself – people concerned about friends who generally attend the BIS, those friends checking in and saying they didn’t go this year, or they were in the area but avoided Turbo Bowl because of the warnings and the conditions they were already aware of. You see, back country snowmobilers are often in the back country two or more days a week and already have first hand insight to the conditions.

Regarding the word being used in almost every story – unsanctioned. It is true that there is no sanctioning organization for this event. Not the town of Revelstoke nor the Revelstoke Snowmobile Club. However, just because it’s not sanctioned does not mean that it is illegal.

Snowmobilers often gather in large groups to ride with friends who are generally dispersed all over Canada and the United States. I personally rode with a group of 30 riders at an “unsanctioned” event in Wyoming. Oops! I also rode at another “unsanctioned” event, ummm, better make that two, here in Oregon. Rest assured, I am not a criminal nor are any of the snowmobilers that I know.

The internet keeps the snowmobiling community connected. There are 1,000s of unsanctioned events that simply start by someone saying, “hey – who wants to ride this weekend?” Next thing ya know, word spreads about how much fun everyone had and it snowballs from there (pun intended). They grow into these annual events…”same date next year?”

So, here’s what happens next – the date is set. Motel rooms are reserved. Trucks and sleds are fueled. Vacation time is requested. Then individuals, families and social groups all head into a remote mountain town. They buy. They buy. They buy a lot!! They spend money – because they can.

It is with great sadness that I have to dispel the myth that mountain snowmobilers are a bunch of rednecks. All you really need to do is add up the costs to outfit an individual – much less an entire family – with a sled and the proper safety gear. Since this article is really targeted at those individuals who are not mountain sledders, I will point out that everything – got that?…EVERYTHING, on your person and on your sled is part and parcel of your survival gear. From your gloves, to your coat, to the sunglasses in your backpack. Trying to save a dime in buying a coat is really not advised, when that coat may be the only thing protecting you from the elements if you have to stay overnight. With all that said, here’s a run down of estimated costs of the primary accessories needed to sled in the back country.

• Sled $6,000-$14,000 USD
• Clothes (including base, mid and outer layers – top & bottom) $800-$1,200 USD
• Boots/gloves/helmet $245-$800 USD
• Backpack (non-avy) $60-$120 USD
• Backpack (avy) $1,000-$1,200 USD
• Body armor (tek vest, knee pads, etc) $60-$300 USD
• Beacon, probe, shovel $250-$400 USD

This doesn’t include a lot of items, such as matches, radios, compass, fire starter, flashlight, and the list goes on, and the costs add up. It would be GREATLY appreciated if the media would STOP perpetuating the myths that sledders are ignorant, beer-swilling, couch-potatoes. Because it’s simply not true.

The fact is that mountain sledders do not fit a stereotypical mold. They come from all areas of the business world…from CEOs to millworkers. They have families and they are single. They are old and they are young. They are world-class athletes and they are physically handicapped. They survive corporate down-sizing, cancer, divorces, etc….just like everyone else.

The thing that binds us together is our great love for the back country in the winter. We are modern day adventurers. We want to get out there – in the mountains. We want to explore and play and wonder at the beauty. We love the snow! When it covers the trees, when it flies up in our faces, when it gives us a playground of vast proportions. That is when we are in heaven. That is when our souls glow.

We are not anything that the media will have tried to make us out to be in the last couple of days. We are so much more. It’s truly a pity that the media isn’t interested in shining any light on the truth.

The truth is - the Turbo Bowl avy survivors are HEROS. We in the snowmobiling communities – far and wide – are praying for the full recovery of those injured, in body and in spirit. And finally, with great compassion and sympathy we extend our heartfelt condolences to the families of those who perished.

I wrote this and I am Susie Rainsberry, Oregon resident, back-country snowmobiler. I provide free and complete liberty for others to share and disperse this message. The time has come to stop the slandering of good individuals just because they ride snowmobiles.
ohenry03/16/10

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fraser's response from X92.9 in Calgary. While sledding we bumped into him and his buddies at the Grizzly a year or two ago.

I figured I'd send them a e-mail with the attached letter. They haven't been slandering sledders like many other news outlets, but I hoped they'd keep it positive because I know some of them enjoy the outdoors as well. If anybody wants to see my e-mail to the X92.9 morning show, lemme know.

-------------------
Hey Quinn good to hear from you man, that was a hell of a night in Golden, pretty sure our tab at the grizzly was like ***. Some great info here, totally agree with you. I think sledders are getting a really bad rap. Not sure why boring people want to resent adventurous ones. I would way sooner die in an avalanche than avoid the things I enjoy. Keep doing what you're doing, screw everybody who complains about it. Take care man, keep in touch

F
------------------------------

Fraser is involved with the morning show and their conversations, but Candice does the news. I was late for work this morning but I heard her mention the government has issued symbols to include with weather forcast reports to better show avy conditions to more people. Will it help? Probably not. Anybody who knows mountain sledding knows it's required to check the Canadian Avalanche Association bullitens and read the descriptions to get an idea of current and past weather.

Ridin High

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have sent Susie's letter to K-97 in Edmonton as well as several emails to try have her letter read. I was also given about 5 minutes on air this morning to voice my opinion on the Terry,Bill and Steve show. Our positions are quit different and they clearly will not read the letter.
They were understanding and receptive but they have their opinion and the letter will not be read.
If some one wants I can post their written response but it very much in line with other media responses that do not have any kind words towards the choices made on March 13 at Turbo. Kind words for the rescue but not for the choices made.

Ok I can sit here and read and read, but this one caught my eye. For one reason only! Steve Zimmerman on the K-97 morning show! Yeah we all probably have heard of him. Call and ask where his wife works! Ask if she works at a snowmobile shop. Do you see the point im trying to make? If they don't want to read the letter that this wonderful individual has written and probably made more than one of us speechless, then tell old Steve-o to have his wifey find another job like a granola cruncher store or something. Just my opinion. It makes me mad how all these radio monkeys, can sit and bash, but yet they probably have not much of a life, and get there trucks, cars, and crap like that given to them from local sponsors with the radio. If only someone gave one of them a sled, to try and see exaclty where we are coming from, riding that fresh powder on a clear blue sky day!

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not going to give up on getting your letter read on K-97 in Edmonton Oregon girl. So far I've gotten five minutes of air time but I'm not done yet! They will get emails from me until they either read it or put on block on me.

shiznitt100

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This statement is for what the government is trying to do by putting avi warnings up on local news,, As far as i am concerned everytime we venture out in the back country, we should always consider the worst for conditions, stay alert regaurdless of conditions how minor or major they are.
I did not get a response yet from the castlegar news team on the letter either. i will keep bugging them also

Smiley

Reaction score
Please read comments on the bottom of this post. This friend of the family just sent this to me and he is West Africa working right now.
Suzsie be proud that your letter is travelling long distances.

It’s time to honor the heroes.
Written by Susie Rainsberry
March 15, 2010

After taking the time to read this, it appears that this lady has had her eye on the ball all along, and has the courage of her convictions to put it so well, said to paper (Ok E-Mail).
I would add, people lose their lives in so many other ways taken for granted every day, Cars, Aircraft, Boats, yet none of those are outlawed, or over governed so use is impossible.

It goes without saying from the perspective of a Monday Morning Quarterback, many things could have been different for those many who went out to enjoy the sport and lifestyle they so much enjoy, Saturday Afternoon, March 13th, 2010, on Turbo Bowl/Turbo Hill, in Revelstoke, BC, and there is no sane argument against that. However, as a “Back-Country Sledder”, I have taken the time, and most of those with whom I would ride, are all trained in “Avalanche Awareness”, and at the drop of a hat, go to the aid of a fellow sledder, a stranger to us, and do all we can humanly do to help that person. Those who do not know the camaraderie of “Back-Country Sledders” haven’t really experienced life as we like to. Most of us make informed decisions about where to ride, practice all reasonable best practices for observed conditions, but every once in a while, we are tempted by the beauty that God’s Country has, and we risk…

The tragedy here would really be if nothing was learned by those who did not die, and that includes all those do-gooders, who don’t, or have no intention of, or just don’t care, but think they should tell us how to behave in the Back-Country we choose to explore and enjoy. Canada and the USA are FREE countries, if legislation should be called up to make Positive Change, allow, and perhaps entice more Back-Country use, I would suggest it surround the best of all practice, which is EDUCATION! Be a part of the solution by becoming informed, learning from mistakes of others, instead of remaining part of the problem, by being gleefully full of unknowing opinion & ignorance.

Let’s be sure that the 2 gentlemen, Shay Snortland, 33, of Lacombe, Alta. and Kurtis Reynolds, 33, of Strathmore, Alta, family men, who lost their lives, do not have this happen without positive return for their souls…Learn how to be Avalanche Savvy, because I know you’re still going to ride up there…You’re still going to make that last pass…It’s why we sled! To get the most out of our lives we can! If you are trained…Practice rescues, if you ride with untrained, plead with them to train. If you know a politician, or a newspaper editor, tell this side of the story….Just DO SOMETHING POSITIVE!

Live, Laugh, Love…Enjoy it all, it was God’s intention!

You might be on this e-mail list, just because you are…held in high regard!

PS, if you know how to respond to Susie Rainsberry, send her a note, and let her know her words of inspiration move on!

Cheers,

Louis

snoqueen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:d This site is enabled for comments. Should be interesting to see what develops. If you respond to any slanderous comments, remember to be NICE!! We are trying to IMPROVE our image.

Terrace Daily: Articles

WOW....I left a comment on the Terrace Daily thanking them for printing this article in their paper. I submitted it to my city's paper but only found a slanderous cartoon the next day to pour more salt into our wounds.....I think Terrace should be commended for printing this article.....

Oregongirl

Reaction score
I'm trying to keep track of where this is popping up. Tonight, I came across this reference. It contains a link to SW, but I cannot find that my commentary has been published (which is FINE!).....I think Mr. Briggs did a GREAT job with his own rebuttal. :)

In anticipation (and hopes) that the letter written by Carry White currently in the Golden Star is met with many more educated and relevant opinions, I thought that this link, Revelstoke Avalanche: >> It's time to honor the heros! - SnoWest Forum, could assist with understanding an insider's perspective to the sport of sledding, the back country in general, and the accident which occurred.

The unfortunate repercussions of this accident (aside from the two deaths, multiple injuries, and monetary cost of the rescue efforts) is that the two most relevant opinions on the matter, that of the back country users that were in the accident and that of the search and rescue members who attended the scene, will take much longer to be heard by the masses because these people will actually put some thought and sensitivity into the matter. The media, on the other hand, is very quick to paint an assumption based, one sided, dark, and blame ridden picture of the event and the accident and is conveniently in the position to reach the masses with their from the hip style of reporting. Unfortunately for the future of the sport of sledding and our back country access in general this is the image and portrayal of the accident first heard and accepted by the general population. Reports and opinions laden with no real facts and fanciful claims, example: "largest avalanche officials have ever seen". Where did you get this information? Did you attempt to verify this before printing it?

In general the reporting of this accident has been opposite the attached letter from Susie Rainsberry, a very well written insider's perspective with no real means of broadcasting to the general population. Hosting the letter on online sledding forums targets like minded persons, not the masses. Please print this letter, it is such a valuable view for the majority of people, like yourself, who are not back country users, sledders, or maybe in general even risk takers.

When you mention that "the event is known to have a party atmosphere" is it just me or does this read as if you are trying to present that in a bad light? Have you ever been to a sporting event? Did you partake in any Olympic celebration? Why do you feel a sledding event should differ, or is this again just a glimpse into your unknowingness about the topic of which you are writing?

There are many very professional and intelligent people from Golden that were involved with the accident; perhaps they too will offer some insightful words or letters. In doing so, you may learn that the accident which occurred was not part of the Big Iron Shoot out event, that it happened outside of the area and schedule pertaining to the itinerary of the event. Further, that to ride on Boulder Mountain costs $20 regardless of the day of the week, event or not, that it was not the event organizers charging the admission fee but the Revelstoke Snowmobile Club who were collecting their standard $20 dollar trail maintenance fee plus an additional $5 site clean up fee for this event weekend.

It snowed the week before this event, I would not be the least bit shocked to learn that there were 200 riders at any of our local riding areas, much like Kicking Horse was probably lined up to the convenience store Saturday morning. Like skiers and snowboarders, sledders are snow seekers, and like Susie alludes to with much more elegance than I have the time to attempt, they seek this fresh snow and this thrill accepting the associated risks. As many locals would agree, they too accept the possibility of accident or even death when their husbands, wife's, children, parents, friends, loved ones etc. go sledding, skiing, snowboarding, mountain biking, hang gliding, rock climbing, kayaking etc. This list goes on and on. And why do these people accept this potential for the unthinkable? Because they can see that this significant person in their life is not complete without that activity. That for them to live a life without that activity and those risks is to not live at all. The average and mundane is not for everyone, especially in communities like Golden or Revelstoke. Activities like those mentioned above are why many of us live here, and why many of us can respectively associate with each other and console each other when a tragedy occurs.

The victims of the recent accident do not need you or other media outlets to point out that their families will suffer, all these families need, expect, and deserve is your condolences and support during this difficult time. Portraying the Big Iron Shootout or the sport of sledding in a negative light is not helping these families to grieve, in fact is probably making this process harder for them as they, like you, question why they died at all, or maybe even start to believe they died unnecessarily. It was an accident, and there is no changing that. Whether or not these people died unnecessarily is on us; an accident is only truly an accident if nothing is learned from it. This is not to say something similar will never happen again though, see above about a life worth living and accepting risks.

I wholeheartedly agree with you in one regard, I hope that from this accident comes further accident prevention through education, awareness, and training. Not restriction or regulation. Let's embrace and support the back country activities that make our country, province, and town worth living in. Let's hope that our government does not respond with a knee jerk reaction negatively impacting our way of life or our town's economy. Let's hope that Bill 30 and any new similar laws stay shelved away in the filing cabinets of the Parliament Buildings where they belong, and not here in our back yards.

Heartfelt condolences and respect to the families of the deceased and injured.

Sincerely,

Nathan Briggs

Top Bottom