GST verses HST

kendoo

Reaction score
Pls. do's any one know if I purchase a sled or quad in alberta & bring to bc do I pay GST in alberta & then have to pay HST in bc = paying gst twice?

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure,.. but I found this

Your gov'ment is messed, you are suppose to pay tax on USED pieces even when through a PRIVATE seller,..

Anyways, good luck.

fat tire

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nope, you can get the GST back that you paid on the point of sale, if the full HST is applied, or there is a form that breaks down the tax into two entities, not sure but I think you end up paying a little more that way as the taxes are no longer harmonized, but don't quote me on that........I went through same thing with this back east a few years ago.......things may have changed a bit from then. if your going throught this hassle why not just shop cross boarder and import what you want......you will pay the tax at the border plus a 118 RIV fee.........seems to be a better solotion......remmber Montana has no sales tax. and with the dollar, prices are good too.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Pls. do's any one know if I purchase a sled or quad in alberta & bring to bc do I pay GST in alberta & then have to pay HST in bc = paying gst twice?

If you buy a new sled or quad in Alberta, you pay the GST. The HST is still a little foggy! All we used to pay was the 7% PST when we registered the machine.

Last week, I bought a part and had it shipped to my BC address and there was 12% HST included (that shocked me as we never had to pay the PST when we have had things delivered). Because this is a harmonized tax with the Fed's, I'm pretty sure that the 12% is automatic. So that may be the case when you buy a quad or sled. You wouldn't pay the tax twice in any event.

If you buy a quad or sled in Alberta privately, there is no tax unless you register it. Saying that, if it is not registered then you can't buy insurance.

Quads, you need insurance and registration for the forestry roads. Sleds require registration (not really enforced) but not insurance.

krash

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I heard that they will aply the HST right off the bat if you bring it to BC

tranquillicer

Reaction score
Sooooo....I'm buying a sled at Main Jet in Nelson and obviously not from BC. What happens in that case? I would expect to pay gst and then pst back here when I plate the sled....Thats what I would expect but..who knows.

Top Bottom