Greystokes

Kiwionsnow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I will be in Winfield for Chritmas and was going to take the sleds down from PG for this trip. My son 14yrs rides a Indy 500 liquid 144 1 1/2 track, and I ride a 800 rev. I am looking for a good safe trail to meadows type area where I can turn him loose in some meadows or rollers a little. I believe the parking area is up hwy33. How far up the Hwy from Kelowna. What should I be looking for? is it signed? Are there club day cabins up there? how far of a ride is it from the parking lot into the riding area, any info you could share would be great. Thanx. It will be his first trip into that type of area so not looking for anything crazy. Cheers

jackinthebox

Reaction score
The road you want to turn onto is the three forks road which you will see signage on hwy 33 when you get close,letting you know that there are snowmobile trails ahead,the turn will be a left as your heading up hwy33 towards big white.
The staging area is approx 5-7k up ths road.You will be charged the day rate, and you know i'm not sure if you'll get a map or not.I usuall ride the **less travelled/monitored way/ways*** up into the area .
Does get very busy .
There are a few day cabins up there, nice ones that the club looks after and does a nice job.
From the staging area to the first main day chalet is approx 10-12k...there's lots of rollers,meadows....BUT make sure you take a gps and track urself or get map....you could end up in the christian valley in no time with no gas to get back.Have fun.

barefooter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kiwi:

if you are going to be in Winfield - few other places you may want to try. Greystokes is great - but may be a zoo over Xmas

#1. For trails and meadows - Hunters Range by Enderby is great and is likely even faster than going through Kelowna to Greystokes. I have been taking my daughter there since she was 8. The trail up to the main cabin is groomed - and lots and lots of meadows around the main cabin. There are also some learner hills by the DOD tower by the main cabin. You can even take a groomed trail back to the Gordon Sydney. For me - Hunters is the best place to take a kid to introduce them to mtn riding - without having to worry about intimidation factor.

Salmon Arm Snow Blazers. (Spa and Fly hills) Lots of great groomer trails. Meadows and clear-cuts galore. Will be a little farther from Winfield than Hunters.

Vernon Snowmobile Club. UP by Silver Star in Vernon. Lots of trails. Good grooming now that the tour operator has taken over. Cabins have been rebuilt. I have a soft spot for here - as we have a place at Silver Star and this is the "2nd home" for the kids. Only downside is not meadows to the extent of Hunters or Fly Hills. Great though if it is blowing because you are in the trees all the time - and you can scoot between cabins to keep the kids warm. Lots os clearcut and meadows once you get past the North Cabin - but best to have someone who knows the area or a GPS. Can get a little confusing chasing the clearcutrs there.

My recommendations. Good clear day - Hunters. Starts to blow in Verson or Greystokes

Have a great Xmas there. Wish I could say that I would show you around - but heading elsewhere for Xmas this year.

Hillclimber

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I may sound like a hater but greystokes sucks. always tracked out and have to ride a bumpy trail that they dont groom enough like barefoot said. Hunters is a great place for your boy to play. plus still some more areas for you to play.

jbb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I may sound like a hater but greystokes sucks. always tracked out and have to ride a bumpy trail that they dont groom enough like barefoot said. Hunters is a great place for your boy to play. plus still some more areas for you to play.

true if you dont know where to ride. i use to say the same till i got away from the general areas. greystokes has some of the best tree riding around. if you know where to go!

Hillclimber

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
true if you dont know where to ride. i use to say the same till i got away from the general areas. greystokes has some of the best tree riding around. if you know where to go!

yes I guess I am just bitter. last time i was there I hit a huge rock and had to spend my sunday fixing instead of riding. but when you find your way in the trees its a epic time.

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dave, Dave, Dave......hit one rock and "Graystokes Sucks". I've seen you ride...I know why you hit stuff! (How you didn't see that hole is beyond me) ;) As JBB mentioned, there is some great meadow and tree riding..if you know where to go. I don't think Graystokes gets that busy.... I've seen 30 to 40 trucks in the parking lot and see 10 to 15 guys at the cabins.
Kiwionsnow...great place to bring your son. We just spent $40,000 on our groomer so it will get run more this year. Send me a Pm when you know the dates you'll be up here and if I'm off work I'd be happy to take you out. Also go to sledkelowna.ca and check it out there.
:beer: Any questions send me a PM.

Last edited:

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Quote:The staging area is approx 5-7k up ths road.You will be charged the day rate, and you know i'm not sure if you'll get a map or not.I usuall ride the **less travelled/monitored way/ways*** up into the area .

Those well maintained cabins are that way because not everyone skips paying for a trail pass by going in the "Less monitored way". This year we"re gonna be at more than just the Graystokes parking lot and everyone gets their picture taken.

Last edited:

SHREK1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How is Lumby? Like Hunters?

ridin Lumby , good riding just a little smaller without getting back in a little deeper , Greystokes is great just poke around and will have a good couple days , hunters gets you into more opportunity for hills from mild to advanced , easy decission ride day one in greystokes , day 2 in hunters and decide from there if your riding more, I ride with my kids as well

jackinthebox

Reaction score
Quote:The staging area is approx 5-7k up ths road.You will be charged the day rate, and you know i'm not sure if you'll get a map or not.I usuall ride the **less travelled/monitored way/ways*** up into the area .

Those well maintained cabins are that way because not everyone skips paying for a trail pass by going in the "Less monitored way". This year we"re gonna be at more than just the Graystokes parking lot and everyone gets their picture taken.

gee how many people actually use the less travelled way, I can leave from my house with a garage opener in my pocket and ride into the stokes,hell man i'm a member @ hunters for the last few years because i dont mind paying the rate for what i get up there if you made it like $80 bux for the year and maybe i would think about it,but $125-140 for that tracked up shyte ,beileve me the only time i use your stinking cabin is if i have to spend the night. taking pictures...pffff how friggin childish.

Kiwionsnow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanx to all. I think shrek1 hit it on the head, hope to perhaps do both. Do Greystokes and a day at Hunters.

Kiwionsnow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Now my question is, where is the Hunters Staging area. I will do some googling as well. Barefooter, ya I have Skied up at Silver Star, We rented a house in Burfield and seen Sleds there. Might be an option as well.Thanx

skeeter800x

Reaction score
Hunters is easy to get to; driving from Vernon turn right on Mable Lake rd; about 10 min ride turn left on watershed rd. 2 areas to unload from and you are riding.

jackinthebox

Reaction score
Watershed rd is the main day chalet way in(you will get a SWEET map) $20 for the day.This is the easy wayin and the way u should go if your taking a kid in.You'll have a blast.Once in the staging area you can take brash OR Ashton road up in to the backcountry.
The other way is called Laforge,it's a longer drive down the valley up the 3 valley FSR ,BUT this gets in the sweet stuff pretty quick.

barefooter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you are taking your son - don't go Laforge for the first time. No cabin.

From Winfield - just head straight north on Highway 97 (through Vernon) to Enderby. It is signed in Enderby - but you want the Mabel Lake Road. Go east there - it is about 6 or 7 miles to Watershed Road. There is a sign on the right side of the road for Hunter's Range. You will take a left (north). It will take you right to the trailhead. Best gas and eats (I find) is at the Payless? on the north side of Enderby on Highway 97. It is on the east side of the road. Good sandwiches and haystack brownies to die for. There is also a Subway right along 97 in downtown Enderby as well.

Once in the parking lot - you can take either the Brash or Ashton Trail. They both meet up together, and take you to the main chalet. YOu will see a number of meadows and play areas past the trail intersection, and once you are at the main cabin - it is wide open meadows there east of the main chalet. Usually going back down to the truck - I take my daughter through the trees on the east side of the trail. There are lots of little play areas, and if you get a little lost - just cut west at the next meadow you find. It usually heads you back to the trail!

Here is the link to the Hunter's Range website

There is a downloadable trail map on website. The one you will get at the trail head is way better (my oldest has one on her wall in her bedroom)

Vernon snowmobile association is here:

Have a great trip!

Greg

Last edited:

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
gee how many people actually use the less travelled way, I can leave from my house with a garage opener in my pocket and ride into the stokes,hell man i'm a member @ hunters for the last few years because i dont mind paying the rate for what i get up there if you made it like $80 bux for the year and maybe i would think about it,but $125-140 for that tracked up shyte ,beileve me the only time i use your stinking cabin is if i have to spend the night. taking pictures...pffff how friggin childish.
So for $45 dollars difference for the season, you'd ride the Graystokes "Shyte" instead of driving to Hunters? And when a Trail Pass fee collector gets assaulted and she's too shaken up to describe who the Jackass was, I think a picture of his truck would be very helpful. You got a problem with that...then please go to Hunters.

Timber_Tramp

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How is Lumby? Like Hunters?

Lumby is great! (park and Nelson mountains)
there is lots of awsome tree riding like what Hunters offers and some good climbs but less people.
The only downside to riding Lumby is the drive out from Winfield. It takes about 20 min longer than driving to Hunters staging area.
My boy who is now 14 has ridden Hunters , Lumby and the Greystokes ... he likes the open meadows with easy open small hills to climb.
All 3 areas offer that terrain , so I guess it comes down to how far you want to drive.

Last edited:

kentz

Reaction score
Thanks for the Lumby update. I am in Oyama, maybe I'll give it a shot next week and see what its like. I am surprised it is 20 minutes farther than driving to Hunters. On the map it looks like it should be closer to my house? Where is the staging areas for Park and Nelson?

Thanks.

Top Bottom