great deal on shovel

SHREK

Reaction score
just a heads up, was at costco today and they have 2-shovels for $21.00. go to any sled shop and its $60.00 and up!

thegeneral

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lol. Get ready to hear it Shrek

Has anyone seen these in Edmonton area?

Sounds like a great second shovel or even for the sled trailer and truck

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Cool....... I need a winter pooper scooper for my pup. I was waiting for these to go on sale again this year :D

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
I'm gonna buy another pallet, made a fortune on kijiji last year

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I took my Costco shovel to my rescue class on Thursday. I asked Lori about it. When i said Costco shovel she got a dirty look on her face, but when i pulled the shovel out she said Lifeline was a good brand......however, these shovels are on the small side. Also all the shovels she recommended were steel, some heat treated and were wide enough you could put a foot on either side of the shaft.
Now be honest, how many people that were complaining about the Costco shovel have Aluminum shovels???? Your shovels aren't the best either.

polaris011

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
im very interested in knowing why they would make a shovel and then heat treat it.. tempering or harding a steel is only useful in a high carbon steel such as h13 s7 or even rebar or coil spring. i just dont see how high carbon would make for a better shovel... just my thoughts lol.. im a farrier/blacksmith and im intriged by anything to do with metal!!

Toyboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought some and they are as good as any I have seen for an aluminium shovel. That being said I'm keep my steel voile for my pack and strapping it to my tunnel bag to use for stucks. Nice and light though. Don't talk ch!t till you tried one.

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
im very interested in knowing why they would make a shovel and then heat treat it.. tempering or harding a steel is only useful in a high carbon steel such as h13 s7 or even rebar or coil spring. i just dont see how high carbon would make for a better shovel... just my thoughts lol.. im a farrier/blacksmith and im intriged by anything to do with metal!!

I'm not sure. But she did have some aluminum shovels there that were cracked from flexing. Would the tempering make them stronger and flexible with less chance of cracking?

QuintinG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I took my Costco shovel to my rescue class on Thursday. I asked Lori about it. When i said Costco shovel she got a dirty look on her face, but when i pulled the shovel out she said Lifeline was a good brand......however, these shovels are on the small side. Also all the shovels she recommended were steel, some heat treated and were wide enough you could put a foot on either side of the shaft.
Now be honest, how many people that were complaining about the Costco shovel have Aluminum shovels???? Your shovels aren't the best either.

My ortovox beast is an aluminum shovel also and I did dig through some pretty good hard stuff last year. I don't think its the fact that the lifeline ones are aluminum is the problem. I've heard a good test to put a shovel through to compare to digging avy debris is digging through the snow drift after the plows clear the road. I can't say how the lifelines will hold up but when someones life is on the line I think it'd be more comforting to know you aren't trying to dig them out with a discount shovel. I'm gonna try out my lifelines and see how they work.

kimrick

RIP Fellow Sledder
Reaction score
My ortovox beast is an aluminum shovel also and I did dig through some pretty good hard stuff last year. I don't think its the fact that the lifeline ones are aluminum is the problem. I've heard a good test to put a shovel through to compare to digging avy debris is digging through the snow drift after the plows clear the road. I can't say how the lifelines will hold up but when someones life is on the line I think it'd be more comforting to know you aren't trying to dig them out with a discount shovel. I'm gonna try out my lifelines and see how they work.

The snow plow test seems like a realistic test.
Avys are going to be the same hard packed snow. If the shovel will stand up yo that I am sure the product will work.
I carry a strong metal SOS shovel/saw combo but also have a plastic voila on my sled for when I am stuck.
Beleive me, I have used the plastic one lots. HA HA HA!
Being stuck seems to be my middle name.
I would ride with anyone who has any type of shovel rather than riding with the folks who are uneducated and seem to think they are beyond carrying a shovel, probe and most of all a beacon.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
There seems to be a new thread every year since, Costco has started to carry these shovels. Being a new thread every year isn't a bad thing either ;)
2 years ago a friend bought 2, and gave one to me. I went after a hard snow drift like if someone was buried, it did alright. But I could feel the stressing of the shovel, then I went to the grader bank, which was made the day before. It was still cold that the sun or heat didn't have a chance to compress it.
Within 5-6 stabs at the bank, the good deal shovel was done!!!
So as far as talking chit about the shovels, and have tried using one. I will get one this year again, but it will be used to clean up dog crap in my yard. JMHO

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
There seems to be a new thread every year since, Costco has started to carry these shovels. Being a new thread every year isn't a bad thing either ;)
2 years ago a friend bought 2, and gave one to me. I went after a hard snow drift like if someone was buried, it did alright. But I could feel the stressing of the shovel, then I went to the grader bank, which was made the day before. It was still cold that the sun or heat didn't have a chance to compress it.
Within 5-6 stabs at the bank, the good deal shovel was done!!!
So as far as talking chit about the shovels, and have tried using one. I will get one this year again, but it will be used to clean up dog crap in my yard. JMHO

and that my S&M buddies, who feel cheap shovels are the way to go, should be the end of this useless discussion!!

One note on the grader berm: the snow in an avalanche has a lot more heat from the friction of coming down the mountain that that of the small roll on a grader blade. It sets up really hard in a remarkably fast time.

Save the cheap shovel for the dogie poo...........

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
u can afford 15 G's for a sled but only 10 bucks for a shovel lol some ppl are just dumb 0.o

I wouldn't say "dumb"..... just not educated with the proper education, and guideness that some of us have to offer. I'm still learning on a daily basis....

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't say "dumb"..... just not educated with the proper education, and guideness that some of us have to offer. I'm still learning on a daily basis....
As long as you're not giving "guideness" on proper English... LOL. See what happens when you correspond with willy?

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
As long as you're not giving "guideness" on proper English... LOL. See what happens when you correspond with willy?

LOL....... I have never claimed to be the best speler :D

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
any shovel is better than no shovel, avalanche debris sets up hard, plastic shovels will be useless, cheap aluminum will fold, get the good stuff, as ya usually get what ya pay for.

thegeneral

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya usually get what ya pay for.[/QUOTE]

My buddy just bought a shovel from Absolute Power in St Albert for $60. Another guy in our group got two of them from costco from his wife for Xmas
They were both Clearly the same shovel

Thegeneral

Top Bottom