evans coolant

Rhodesie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
guy brought me his 14 pro 163 because it was running hotter than normal. couldn't make it 3k up the trail. turns out at the end of the last season he switched to evans coolant.
i ran it in the shop with a garden hose on the tunnel and i have never seen the temp climb as fast as this one. made sure stat was good, even changed it and bled properly. temps just climb. crazy. evacted the evans out and filled with polaris coolant and sled works perfect. running with the hose on the tunnel the highest i saw was 126f. recommend not to try this stuff in your sled.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've generally heard good things about it, besides the price, but never tried it as have never needed to. They say you need to have ALL the water out of the system before putting Evans in. I wonder if that was part of the problem with your customer's machine.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Evan's waterless coolant is about 90% ethylene glycol, it's the same stuff as in engine coolant. Evan's specific heat capacity is about 2/3rds of standard 50/50 water/antifreeze. Evan's is also 3-4 times more viscous than 50/50, meaning its harder to pump and slower to circulate in the cooling system, and because of the increased viscosity it's less turbulent in the cooling system which limits it heat transfer ability.

Glycol is mostly there for freeze/boilover protection and to help with corrosion. In terms of performance almost nothing beats straight water, but of course the freezing issue in our climate requires glycol.

I read a test a few years back with an LS race motor, the aluminum heads ran over 100F hotter with Evans compared to 100% water with some kind of corrosion inhibitor. Because of the digital knock detection the engine lost a pile of performance because the engine was retarding timing so far back, they needed something like 7 octane numbers more in the fuel to restore the performance and keep knock at bay.

IMO it's snake oil, the cheapest 50/50 premix you can buy at walmart or crappy tire is better than this stuff at $100/gallon.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Thats interesting... I have used this with great success in a 660 grizzly that nothing else would keep cool. Currently has 15k on original engine with lots of time with an arena drag.

Top Bottom