Got boost

whittaker727

Reaction score
No injector issues that I'm aware of???? I can't wait. I also am in Alaska so I don't have any pics yet. I get my Timbersled rear skid here in another week and a half

whittaker727

Reaction score
Some old pictures. Some things have changed since these were taken:d

DSC04445.jpg

DSC04447.jpg

DSC04448.jpg

DSC04449.jpg

DSC04451.jpg

summit889

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
at what point do guys run intercoolers? what are the pros and cons to them other than weight being a con?

snotterite

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
at what point do guys run intercoolers? what are the pros and cons to them other than weight being a con?
The M 1000 generates alot of heat on long hard pulls[movie star type pulls] the intercooler adds a positive result. In some situations of extreme boondocking heat soaking is also a issue and therefore a fan and intercooler are used. Heat soaking causes tunning issues. The install of a intercooler in most cases needs the moving of certain engine components and obviuosly the work of fabbing it in.Intercoolers without fans need a specific mounting location to be of maximum effectiveness, the passing over of air is not as effective as the passing thru of ambient air.
The M8's donot cause the heat issues in most cases from our experience. Tunning is much simpler.
Our intercooled M1000 still needed a top end refresh after 1500 miles.
By using pre and post temp gauges we have found a 110*[+ or -] decrease in charge temperatures with the intercooler....this in turn helps with detonation problems.
The issue of intercoolers is a widely debated issue and I believe that is because of the various riders and riding styles.
GREAT QUESTION, and a GREAT DEBATE SHOULD FOLLOW

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The M 1000 generates alot of heat on long hard pulls[movie star type pulls] the intercooler adds a positive result. In some situations of extreme boondocking heat soaking is also a issue and therefore a fan and intercooler are used. Heat soaking causes tunning issues. The install of a intercooler in most cases needs the moving of certain engine components and obviuosly the work of fabbing it in.Intercoolers without fans need a specific mounting location to be of maximum effectiveness, the passing over of air is not as effective as the passing thru of ambient air.
The M8's donot cause the heat issues in most cases from our experience. Tunning is much simpler.
Our intercooled M1000 still needed a top end refresh after 1500 miles.
By using pre and post temp gauges we have found a 110*[+ or -] decrease in charge temperatures with the intercooler....this in turn helps with detonation problems.
The issue of intercoolers is a widely debated issue and I believe that is because of the various riders and riding styles.
GREAT QUESTION, and a GREAT DEBATE SHOULD FOLLOW

I was always taught that if you had room to run one, definitely put it in. The colder the air, the better.

What where the results from the detonation problems (i.e. was there a correlation to the drop in charge temps and a decrease in octane #'s - ex. for each 50 degree drop, you could drop octane) - if you were able to test it? Or were you only measuring detonation? Have you guys done any work with how many CFM's you need to pull/push through the intercooler to drop the charge temps by 100 degrees or whatever you could drop it? What kind of surface area do you have on the M1000's intercooler? What about surface area to charge temps? Have you guys seen the intercooler for the 4 stroker Z1 Jag? Any experience with that or other curved intercoolers? I think it would be a great way to gain more surface area and not have to remove lots of parts, and it fits right at the front of the sled (not sure if it still needs a fan).

Sorry, I have lots of questions. It's a great topic to learn about.

snotterite

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was always taught that if you had room to run one, definitely put it in. The colder the air, the better.

What where the results from the detonation problems (i.e. was there a correlation to the drop in charge temps and a decrease in octane #'s - ex. for each 50 degree drop, you could drop octane) - if you were able to test it? Or were you only measuring detonation? Have you guys done any work with how many CFM's you need to pull/push through the intercooler to drop the charge temps by 100 degrees or whatever you could drop it? What kind of surface area do you have on the M1000's intercooler? What about surface area to charge temps? Have you guys seen the intercooler for the 4 stroker Z1 Jag? Any experience with that or other curved intercoolers? I think it would be a great way to gain more surface area and not have to remove lots of parts, and it fits right at the front of the sled (not sure if it still needs a fan).

Sorry, I have lots of questions. It's a great topic to learn about.
All of your findings were on 110 fuel.....the reduction of heat soaking in the intercooler resulted in a lower charge temp and there fore provided a lesser chance of deto and also created higher air density. The modifing of intercooler shapes, has been explored by a few peeps but the result always seems to be add a fan for more consistancy. the fan does pose a problem due to the lack of power to run it on the M sleds. In actuallity our intercooler surface area is inefficent 10.5x12.75 due to the fact air turbulates and deams much of it stagnate in the first 1/3 of surface area...Simple smoke tests prove that. I believe to have the utmost in cooling linear cooling is more effective than wide band cooling. The longer the intercooler the less heat soaking in my opinion.
We have modified coolers to see if units of air result in substantial drops....but for us placement has worked better....and trying to get the best efficency from a standard cooler is the way we have gone.There comes a point when 1 has to consider all factors...engine cooling, wieght etc. etc.
We are just dumb tinkerers.............Real sled techs on here can answer better.

snotterite

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you're dumb tinkerers, the rest of us are all Tards.:d:d
Guys like gg and other Sled Shop Owners will correct my mistakes:d
Mitch you sick? There had to be at least 100 spelling mistakes in my posts.
Tryed to send you some more Gay Dots but it said I've got to Spread it around first..........Fugg I hate being a Gay Dot Whore

Deano670

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Guys like gg and other Sled Shop Owners will correct my mistakes:d
Mitch you sick? There had to be at least 100 spelling mistakes in my posts.
Tryed to send you some more Gay Dots but it said I've got to Spread it around first..........Fugg I hate being a Gay Dot Whore

I'll just correct your spelling honey. Continue on:beer:

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Intercoolers work if you can have cold air getting to them all the time.. If you aren't able to get cool air hitting it to cool it off it ends up turning into a HEATER rarther than an intercooler.. For the cats we have a company that is making hoos screens for us.. They will work really well for turbo aplications as they are designed to be pretty much right above the intercooler that comes ina boondocker turbo kit.. There are other ways of cooling youer inatke charge though as well, like methanol injection.. The meth inj is a deal that i think is alot better as well as lighter.. With the meth you dont have to worry about airflow over an intercooler.. And it's cheap as you can use -40 windsheild washer fluid..

snotterite

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Intercoolers work if you can have cold air getting to them all the time.. If you aren't able to get cool air hitting it to cool it off it ends up turning into a HEATER rarther than an intercooler.. For the cats we have a company that is making hoos screens for us.. They will work really well for turbo aplications as they are designed to be pretty much right above the intercooler that comes ina boondocker turbo kit.. There are other ways of cooling youer inatke charge though as well, like methanol injection.. The meth inj is a deal that i think is alot better as well as lighter.. With the meth you dont have to worry about airflow over an intercooler.. And it's cheap as you can use -40 windsheild washer fluid..
How much does it drop the top load run temps Glen...?

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Good points. More questions now - What boost are you turning the injection on at and what kinds of temp drops are you seeing (if you were able to measure them)? Have you guys experimented with meth injector placement and what results have you found if so? or do you just try and keep it as close to the turbo outlet as possible? What kind of injector pressures are you running? Are you just running straight windshield washer fluid? or blending it with more methanol, or water at all? Are you using Bosch pumps and injectors of FFV type's? If not, what others have you found that don't corrode?

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we are still in the development stage of the meth imj system.. There are kits that are available to fit into the sled but they are not designed for a sled.. You want it mounted as close to the turbo as possible as it will then give it as much time as possible to cool the charge.. Using just straight -40 w/w fluid as it is way cheaper and easier to tune for.. I'll keep you posted on progress though.. Just waiting for snow....

whittaker727

Reaction score
I know this isn't the classified section, but now that I've got boost, I think I'll sell my 1M UBR 1150.....Vern, you still interested?
03.jpg

1150motor.jpg

Mysleds001.jpg

BDF#900

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Next question, do I need to up grade my D Drive on my '09, or will it take 300 plus hp?

whittaker727

Reaction score
Shain says the new DD is way stronger than the old one and not to change it...ot at least he's not changing his if that says anything. I'm putting my Timbersled rear skid under mine next week and then I'll post some pics for ya Vern.

whittaker727

Reaction score
Well, except for still waiting for a front end from Fabcraft, here it is Twisted turbo M1000 Fabcraft 174 tunnel, 174X15X2.5 Camo extreme, Timbersled rear, Boss seat, R&M mesh hood, Slydogg ski's comes to 577 lbs full of fluids.
turbo.jpg

P1010269.jpg

P1010267.jpg

Top Bottom