good starter sled??? or too mutch power?

synergycycle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hello I just picked up a 1991 arctic cat wild cat 700 with a 136" track. my dad says its way too mutch power and im going to die. im 14 and weigh 105 lbs I ride dirt bikes all the time (cr 125,rmz 250) and I have ridden some sleds but dont have much experiance. The biggest sled I have ridden is a arctic cat m8. I liked the m8 but I think it had too mutch power for me. would the 700 be the same? my dad whants me to get a little girl sled like a 340 witch is just dumb. would somthing like a summit 550 or some 440 race sled be better for me?

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hello I just picked up a 1991 arctic cat wild cat 700 with a 136" track. my dad says its way too mutch power and im going to die. im 14 and weigh 105 lbs I ride dirt bikes all the time (cr 125,rmz 250) and I have ridden some sleds but dont have much experiance. The biggest sled I have ridden is a arctic cat m8. I liked the m8 but I think it had too mutch power for me. would the 700 be the same? my dad whants me to get a little girl sled like a 340 witch is just dumb. would somthing like a summit 550 or some 440 race sled be better for me?

The 700 Wildcat was about as powerful as most 600's are today. In its day it was a good sled, but those motors tend to vibrate a lot (just like some of the old ZR's). It will have some good power, you just need to learn to ride it and not get too throttle happy or you might find yourself in trouble really quick.

A 500 would probably be just about perfect right now, but you'll likely be stepping up from it within a year or two since you will out grow it.

Taminator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you're not a responsible and careful rider, you can kill yourself on anything! Part of learning to be a good rider is when and when not to use the power!
Maybe your dad knows something we don't...and that's why he wants you on a smaller sled! At 14 we still think we're invincible.. a smaller one might be better to go with first! You can always upgrade later. Your dad would know what you're riding skills are and if you will abuse the power or respect it! Sometimes father knows best! Sucks, but it's true. :d

wildwest

Reaction score
Taminator is bang on with that answer.I have to boys that ride, i know their riding ability better than anyone.lots of machinces out there ,trade up later.you'll also learn more about different sleds as you grow. also remember it's not always the sled that gets guys to the top.learn to do things on a small sled, when you go to a bigger one you'll rock!

KVF 700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my dad was EXACTLY the same way. at 13 i was only allowed a 380 and was very angry. however the skills you learn on a smaller sled really make you appreciate something better. im 17 now and just this year im ugrading, because my dad is buying a new sled. we never did go to the mountains, but i went EVERYWHERE around here with my 380, sometimes there was 3 feet of powder. then i would have to follow in someones track to barely keep moving. however it was really sucky because i couldnt really jump anything or do anything cool lol. i think starting with a 500 would have been a lot better but since "my dad drove a little 340 till he was 21 years old" i wasnt allowed anything bigger. as for the 700 your thinking of, it would be alright as long as your responsible :)

synergycycle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The 700 Wildcat was about as powerful as most 600's are today. In its day it was a good sled, but those motors tend to vibrate a lot (just like some of the old ZR's). It will have some good power, you just need to learn to ride it and not get too throttle happy or you might find yourself in trouble really quick.

A 500 would probably be just about perfect right now, but you'll likely be stepping up from it within a year or two since you will out grow it.

I was thinking not a 340 but maybey a summit 583? Ive ridden the 550f sleds and they are ok but I think I would grow out of it soon. would you know of any sleds that have desent power that are light too? weight is my problem.

synergycycle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my dad was EXACTLY the same way. at 13 i was only allowed a 380 and was very angry. however the skills you learn on a smaller sled really make you appreciate something better. im 17 now and just this year im ugrading, because my dad is buying a new sled. we never did go to the mountains, but i went EVERYWHERE around here with my 380, sometimes there was 3 feet of powder. then i would have to follow in someones track to barely keep moving. however it was really sucky because i couldnt really jump anything or do anything cool lol. i think starting with a 500 would have been a lot better but since "my dad drove a little 340 till he was 21 years old" i wasnt allowed anything bigger. as for the 700 your thinking of, it would be alright as long as your responsible :)

I already have the 700 and I got it for stupid cheap!!! it has 2056 km's and runs GREAT.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was thinking not a 340 but maybey a summit 583? Ive ridden the 550f sleds and they are ok but I think I would grow out of it soon. would you know of any sleds that have desent power that are light too? weight is my problem.

LOL - its funny that you mention the 583. It was about 105 HP out of the factory and was actually over-rated on the HP at the time, so they classed it higher and it ran with the 700's, the 583 didn't have much less HP than the sled you have now, so stepping down to it won't be going back too much.

Your sled is heavy, that will slow its performance. And honestly, its nothing like riding some of the newer iron out there. That sled only has a 136" right? It was not designed to be a mountain sled, its a flatlander sled with a longer track, like they all were back then. The official mountain sleds did not start until 1994, and then the market exploded.

Does your Dad ride??

I can appreciate what Taminator has to say - however some parents are also biased to think that all 14 yr olds are going to jump on the thing and go wide open all the way to the first corner and then end up in the weeds.
I started out sledding life on a 1978 440 Everest TnT, and often times I was so scared, that my dad would have to tell me to give it more throttle just so I wouldn't get stuck all the time. That being said - Taminator might be right as well (sorry, but I don't know you at all - maybe you're throttle happy :D)

Talk to your Dad about it and what his fears/concerns are. He's the one that needs to be comfortable with what you ride and how you ride it. He just wants to protect you and see you live a long and healthy life, and there's nothing wrong with him caring. A caring parent - That's a good thing. :)

If he's still uncomfortable, you might want to look for a different sled, at least for your "starter year" and then keep the Cat (if you can) and then try it next year. Or maybe you can get a 500 size sled and your dad can ride the Cat. nothing like sledding with your old man - I love riding with my Dad.

dezmitchell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ran a 700 wildcat a few years ago there a good sled (mine was efi).... Good starting sled for flatlanding is SUPER heavy tho. You will be fine just ride smart and DONT jump that sled i learnt that the hard way:d:d.

synergycycle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
LOL - its funny that you mention the 583. It was about 105 HP out of the factory and was actually over-rated on the HP at the time, so they classed it higher and it ran with the 700's, the 583 didn't have much less HP than the sled you have now, so stepping down to it won't be going back too much.

Your sled is heavy, that will slow its performance. And honestly, its nothing like riding some of the newer iron out there. That sled only has a 136" right? It was not designed to be a mountain sled, its a flatlander sled with a longer track, like they all were back then. The official mountain sleds did not start until 1994, and then the market exploded.

Does your Dad ride??

I can appreciate what Taminator has to say - however some parents are also biased to think that all 14 yr olds are going to jump on the thing and go wide open all the way to the first corner and then end up in the weeds.
I started out sledding life on a 1978 440 Everest TnT, and often times I was so scared, that my dad would have to tell me to give it more throttle just so I wouldn't get stuck all the time. That being said - Taminator might be right as well (sorry, but I don't know you at all - maybe you're throttle happy :D)

Talk to your Dad about it and what his fears/concerns are. He's the one that needs to be comfortable with what you ride and how you ride it. He just wants to protect you and see you live a long and healthy life, and there's nothing wrong with him caring. A caring parent - That's a good thing. :)

If he's still uncomfortable, you might want to look for a different sled, at least for your "starter year" and then keep the Cat (if you can) and then try it next year. Or maybe you can get a 500 size sled and your dad can ride the Cat. nothing like sledding with your old man - I love riding with my Dad.

my dad dosnt ride. I wish he did but he says he is to old, yet he likes to roost me at the sand dunes when we go dirtbiking. from the machiens I have ridden the wildcat feels HEAVY. maybey I should go for somthing a little lighter. does anyone know of a sled with desent power thats lighter than a wildcat that is under $3000?

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
look around for a 583 like you were thinking. go forever and quite a few out there right now for 2 to 3k.

dezmitchell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thats what the GF rides ......nice little sled she loves it (last year was the 1st time she ever sat on a sled) its a good trail and flatlanding machine for someone to get there skills up to par. Shes goin to be riding her 550 again this year and depending how she does i will upgrade her to a 141" m6 next year.

cat girl

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The EXT 550's are tanks too, Can't believe I am saying that..but it is true :) Most of the older sleds are though. As for the 136 track I rode one as did most people in the mountains for years, used to be the "long" track. Just sayin... :) My nephew rides a 583 (summit) it goes and goes and goes. Whatever you have will be fun if it runs!!

DUSTINSPELLMAN

Reaction score
well ive been through many sleds in my 15 years of riding
-6-8 i had a 1982 250 yamaha bravo with a 92"track and custom snowbird paint job
-8-12 1998 polaris trail 500 rmk - bone stock - was about 11 when i did my first mountain trip, ended up about going 4 more time when i was 11 to the mountans
12-14 1997 600 rmk XLT piped,
15-18 2000 700 modded rmk, streched, piped, airbox
18-19 - did have a sled that year
20- present 09 D8

i wasnt as small as you when i was your age, but i grew up riding sleds and seen alot and done almost everything to do on a sled except back flip...but i personally think that you should be riding anything between 600-700 cc, ive liked a bit more power than i needed for my age but i was always ballsy when i was young..

3grand should get you on your way for sure but i would personally go for sumthing different than the 91 700 cat, go for a 583 mxz, 600xlt, 600 powder special, 670 summit sumthin on those lines, you can pound the ch!t out of the sleds and still have room to grow on and learn how sleds are ridin..my2cents

synergycycle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well ive been through many sleds in my 15 years of riding
-6-8 i had a 1982 250 yamaha bravo with a 92"track and custom snowbird paint job
-8-12 1998 polaris trail 500 rmk - bone stock - was about 11 when i did my first mountain trip, ended up about going 4 more time when i was 11 to the mountans
12-14 1997 600 rmk XLT piped,
15-18 2000 700 modded rmk, streched, piped, airbox
18-19 - did have a sled that year
20- present 09 D8

i wasnt as small as you when i was your age, but i grew up riding sleds and seen alot and done almost everything to do on a sled except back flip...but i personally think that you should be riding anything between 600-700 cc, ive liked a bit more power than i needed for my age but i was always ballsy when i was young..

3grand should get you on your way for sure but i would personally go for sumthing different than the 91 700 cat, go for a 583 mxz, 600xlt, 600 powder special, 670 summit sumthin on those lines, you can pound the ch!t out of the sleds and still have room to grow on and learn how sleds are ridin..my2cents

well a guy whants to buy my arctic cat 700 for $2000. so I was thinking a 96 580 ext, summit 583, or a xlt 600.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The 580 EXT's were a good sled. Good strong running twin motor, and lots of them around.

Only way you are going to learn is to get a sled and ride it dude!!!! We can internet debate all day about which one is going to suit you better but honestly, any one of those you mention should be fine as a starter sled. I was running a ported "500" Ski Doo mod (503cc cylinders on a ported 440cc case, tunneled and paddled) when I was 14 and by the time I was 16 I had my first 670.

synergycycle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The 580 EXT's were a good sled. Good strong running twin motor, and lots of them around.

Only way you are going to learn is to get a sled and ride it dude!!!! We can internet debate all day about which one is going to suit you better but honestly, any one of those you mention should be fine as a starter sled. I was running a ported "500" Ski Doo mod (503cc cylinders on a ported 440cc case, tunneled and paddled) when I was 14 and by the time I was 16 I had my first 670.

wish I could learn but theres somthing missing SNOW!!!

Top Bottom