Good info for those thinking of travelling to go sledding

Bikeswithtrax

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
3 months?? People aren't working man. Some people are going to lose everything. What happens when the suicide rate exceeds the COVID19 death rate. Would it be ok to start up the country then?
I get it we all need to pitch in for the short term, bankrupt a few businesses and maybe destroy a few lives, but after that short time period, if you still need to be protected, isolate yourself, not the rest of the country.

Agree 100% with this ^^^^^

To further expand on this, if everyone stayed home for 3 months or 18 months, most people would be dead in their home anyway.
No food, no water, no sewer, no anything. Water and sewer plants require staff to operate.
If a single tree fell on a power line, or a crow fried in a sub station, the entire area would be without electricity for months.
Who has the refrigeration capacity to store that much food even if you could buy it. But truckers stayed home to so nothing in stores, and stores are all closed anyway. Plus if the person who wants a lock down stays home, they couldn't shop anyways.
I don't have 18 weeks of supplies at home, much less 18 months.
Right now I shop regularly, and I am am also doing the shopping for five homes near me, that are seniors so they don't have to go to the city. The government deemed us an essential service, so my employees are working, and working 70 plus hours a week.

Now a few facts to share.

Costco in PG has had multiple shoppers every single day from McBride, from the time this started right through to today.

Hospitals are emptier than usual, as no elective surgeries are happening.
My son in law said instead of operating at about 98% full, the hospital he is at is running 46%, and emerg is the slowest he has ever seen.
If McBride chose to stop all people coming in, it only has one hwy, so just build cement block barricades 10 kms east and west of the village, problem solved.
Lets see how long it takes for 75% of the population to starve to death.
A few hunters and green house equipped families will survive is all.

My semi trucks haul through there almost daily, if not daily. They don't report any barricades up.
If people are in really bad shape, they can stay home, lock their doors and let no one in. That is their choice to do so. But asking 34 million Canadians to stay home and never leave their house is the dumbest thing ever posted on S and M, and I've seen some really stupid **** on here.
Good luck to the guy who wants to lock himself into his house for 18 months. Get good life insurance so when you starve to death your family has money to live on!

Last edited:

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Let's turn that same question around. Why should the rest of the population suffer for 18 months to accommodate the lowest denominator of health?

By that statement, are you suggesting we shouldn't protect our sick, elderly and those in need?

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The point I have tried to make in some of the other threads, and this one, is that some people, intentionally or unintentionally are trying to make it sound like the governments of Alberta and BC have closed the back-country to snowmobiling and I have stated, at this time, that is not true.

I'm not trying to promote people going sledding right now, they are free to choose...yay or nay. All I know is, I'm going sledding tomorrow and most likely Sunday if conditions are good. If you or your family have immunity issues, stay as isolated as you feel necessary. I have a 88 year old mother in a retirement home in Victoria and they are on lock-down, as they probably should be. My going sledding this weekend is not going to put any of the old folks in Fernie at any risk and in 20 years (600 days) of mountain sledding I have not required SAR or paramedic assistance...doubt I'm going to need it this weekend.

Everybody take care...be reasonable...be cautious.

Edit: I might point out that some people on this forum might consider me an old folk...LOL. Born in 61

Last edited:

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Same for me...

There is no law stating that I can't sigth my rifle in on crown land for bear season...

The small pluz inside the zone might be restricted,,, not the whole zone...

Take the time to read the hunting and fishing regulations and enjoy the great outdoors...

If others want to stay home,,, then have at it,,, for those of us that have things that need doing,,, then so be it...

Stay at home,,, leave the rest of us alone in the wilds and backwoods at our choosing... Ha...

And there is no forestry folks running around since there isn't enough of them in our province to cover all the areas...

1 or 2 of them can't drive around looking at 2 to 7 million hectors trying to find someone in the west country,,, it just isn't going to happen...

They don't have the man power,,, the resources,,, the time or funds,,, and they are ordered to stay at home...

Yuppers,,, me and the boyz will be out west sigthing in the irons of good times...

Our crown land is a go of good times,,, then set up some more bear baits... Yee Haa

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Crap your younger than me
The point I have tried to make in some of the other threads, and this one, is that some people, intentionally or unintentionally are trying to make it sound like the governments of Alberta and BC have closed the back-country to snowmobiling and I have stated, at this time, that is not true.

I'm not trying to promote people going sledding right now, they are free to choose...yay or nay. All I know is, I'm going sledding tomorrow and most likely Sunday if conditions are good. If you or your family have immunity issues, stay as isolated as you feel necessary. I have a 88 year old mother in a retirement home in Victoria and they are on lock-down, as they probably should be. My going sledding this weekend is not going to put any of the old folks in Fernie at any risk and in 20 years (600 days) of mountain sledding I have not required SAR or paramedic assistance...doubt I'm going to need it this weekend.

Everybody take care...be reasonable...be cautious.

Edit: I might point out that some people on this forum might consider me an old folk...LOL. Born in 61

rodney1960

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
oh yeah-uneducated 3 eyed sledders and there sisters r allowed to drive into prov. parks and sled...lol.
?
to funny that your own comment is directed at you.

this ^ The government is going to put a stop to these simpletons. Trudeau says "stay home/

Grinder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As part of the Government of Canada’s efforts to limit the spread of COVID-19, Parks Canada is encouraging Canadians to stay home and has suspended all visitor services and all visitor motor vehicle access to national parks, national historic sites, and national marine conservation areas, until further notice.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For those contemplating to go sledding or not. I realize that everyone thinks that nothing will happen ever to them, I read post saying I've been sledding for 20yrs and bla bla bla and yes I get the point of being self distance while riding. But what a simplistic view of the whole situation.
I have a good friend that got up one Friday morning 2 years ago and by that afternoon was in the hospital in intensive care from an incident. I don't think he got up that morning knowing what was going to happen.
Fact is, no one knows what the day will bring. The arrogance on some of these post reveals the self entitlement certain individuals have and the lack of humanity in there fellow man.

What if something did happen, now your occupying a hospital bed. What if you found out at the same time one of your family member now has a serious case of covid19 but cannot be administered into hospital because there are no beds available.
Is this far-fetched, my friend never thought anything was going to happen that morning either. Food for thought, do your part, we are all in this together.

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]http://www.sitesandtrailsbc.ca/closures.aspx

Link above of BC closed to recreation, please fallow so SAR's and resources don't get unnecessary pressures put to them.
[/FONT]

Last edited:

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As part of the Government of Canada’s efforts to limit the spread of COVID-19, Parks Canada is encouraging Canadians to stay home and has suspended all visitor services and all visitor motor vehicle access to national parks, national historic sites, and national marine conservation areas, until further notice.

Again, the word "encouraging" does not in anyway imply that it is not allowed. If it is closed then say so as the way it is written you can still go on foot as long as you don't use the services. The Government of Canada encourages people not to drink and smoke too but how many decide they will make their own choices.

acesup800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For those contemplating to go sledding or not. I realize that everyone thinks that nothing will happen ever to them, I read post saying I've been sledding for 20yrs and bla bla bla and yes I get the point of being self distance while riding. But what a simplistic view of the whole situation.
I have a good friend that got up one Friday morning 2 years ago and by that afternoon was in the hospital in intensive care from an incident. I don't think he got up that morning knowing what was going to happen.
Fact is, no one knows what the day will bring. The arrogance on some of these post reveals the self entitlement certain individuals have and the lack of humanity in there fellow man.

What if something did happen, now your occupying a hospital bed. What if you found out at the same time one of your family member now has a serious case of covid19 but cannot be administered into hospital because there are no beds available.
Is this far-fetched, my friend never thought anything was going to happen that morning either. Food for thought, do your part, we are all in this together.

http://www.sitesandtrailsbc.ca/closures.aspx

Link above of BC closed to recreation, please fallow so SAR's and resources don't get unnecessary pressures put to them.
There are lots of beds available. Hospitals are empty since they canceled everything and people are staying home. Respirators are the only thing in demand. At least look at the facts before lecturing us.

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

http://www.sitesandtrailsbc.ca/closures.aspx

I suspect the majority are at home and getting a little cabin fever. Dougtful the snow is any good anyway but I think needing rescue is highly unlikely for people with self control.

On a positive note Dr. Bonny Henery says what we are doing is working and if we continue for a few more weeks we may have it beat.

I bet all the guys that went and rode Mustang today had a blast.

Last edited:

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are lots of beds available. Hospitals are empty since they canceled everything and people are staying home. Respirators are the only thing in demand. At least look at the facts before lecturing us.

Exactly. As of yesterday there were only 66 cases of Corona virus in all of BC that were actually in hospital. The rest are isolating at home.

Top Bottom