Good info for those thinking of travelling to go sledding

Joholio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For those contemplating to go sledding or not. I realize that everyone thinks that nothing will happen ever to them, I read post saying I've been sledding for 20yrs and bla bla bla and yes I get the point of being self distance while riding. But what a simplistic view of the whole situation.
I have a good friend that got up one Friday morning 2 years ago and by that afternoon was in the hospital in intensive care from an incident. I don't think he got up that morning knowing what was going to happen.
Fact is, no one knows what the day will bring. The arrogance on some of these post reveals the self entitlement certain individuals have and the lack of humanity in there fellow man.

What if something did happen, now your occupying a hospital bed. What if you found out at the same time one of your family member now has a serious case of covid19 but cannot be administered into hospital because there are no beds available.
Is this far-fetched, my friend never thought anything was going to happen that morning either. Food for thought, do your part, we are all in this together.

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]http://www.sitesandtrailsbc.ca/closures.aspx

Link above of BC closed to recreation, please fallow so SAR's and resources don't get unnecessary pressures put to them.
[/FONT]

I agree with this statement 100% Mike. While I have stood a reasonable distance away from a few friends for a chin wag to break the monotony, I am trying to doo my part to protect my family and save money in case this drags on. I still think some things can be done safely, some things are simply higher risk though too, so for me, I can live to ride another day. Some of my friends could swallow their pride and tone it down some before there is an issue that affects their loved ones too. Cheers

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I suspect the majority are at home and getting a little cabin fever. Dougtful the snow is any good anyway but I think needing rescue is highly unlikely for people with self control.

On a positive note Dr. Bonny Henery says what we are doing is working and if we continue for a few more weeks we may have it beat.

I bet all the guys that went and rode Mustang today had a blast.
Bet they didn't, it would have been blind, was snowing like a MO fo up top

We decided to hit owls and tree ride where we could see

HotShotHarry

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The point I have tried to make in some of the other threads, and this one, is that some people, intentionally or unintentionally are trying to make it sound like the governments of Alberta and BC have closed the back-country to snowmobiling and I have stated, at this time, that is not true.

I'm not trying to promote people going sledding right now, they are free to choose...yay or nay. All I know is, I'm going sledding tomorrow and most likely Sunday if conditions are good. If you or your family have immunity issues, stay as isolated as you feel necessary. I have a 88 year old mother in a retirement home in Victoria and they are on lock-down, as they probably should be. My going sledding this weekend is not going to put any of the old folks in Fernie at any risk and in 20 years (600 days) of mountain sledding I have not required SAR or paramedic assistance...doubt I'm going to need it this weekend.

Everybody take care...be reasonable...be cautious.

Edit: I might point out that some people on this forum might consider me an old folk...LOL. Born in 61
Sheit. I was already riding by then! 😝

Grinder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Elk Island barricaded both gates. Cooking lake park closed gates.

Last edited:

Grinder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Again, the word "encouraging" does not in anyway imply that it is not allowed. If it is closed then say so as the way it is written you can still go on foot as long as you don't use the services. The Government of Canada encourages people not to drink and smoke too but how many decide they will make their own choices.
Guess you didnt read further than you wanted "suspended all visitor services and all visitor motor vehicle access".

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree with this statement 100% Mike. While I have stood a reasonable distance away from a few friends for a chin wag to break the monotony, I am trying to doo my part to protect my family and save money in case this drags on. I still think some things can be done safely, some things are simply higher risk though too, so for me, I can live to ride another day. Some of my friends could swallow their pride and tone it down some before there is an issue that affects their loved ones too. Cheers

Well I was suppose to head out to Mustang and K3, got a few text and calls these last couple day's about riding and with a forecast calling for 40cm of fresh pow it honestly wasn't easy to hang it up, especially for these area's. Sled is ready to roll and I can social distance at the helm but to this point I have had a stellar season and I am not going to risk it by being selfish, poop happens.
Yes I can live to ride another day too and yes, who know how long this will last so its not a time to be spending to play.
Thanks Joel

BTW, we didn't this year but we need to get a ride in next season.

Last edited:

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For those contemplating to go sledding or not. I realize that everyone thinks that nothing will happen ever to them, I read post saying I've been sledding for 20yrs and bla bla bla and yes I get the point of being self distance while riding. But what a simplistic view of the whole situation.
I have a good friend that got up one Friday morning 2 years ago and by that afternoon was in the hospital in intensive care from an incident. I don't think he got up that morning knowing what was going to happen.
Fact is, no one knows what the day will bring. The arrogance on some of these post reveals the self entitlement certain individuals have and the lack of humanity in there fellow man.

What if something did happen, now your occupying a hospital bed. What if you found out at the same time one of your family member now has a serious case of covid19 but cannot be administered into hospital because there are no beds available.
Is this far-fetched, my friend never thought anything was going to happen that morning either. Food for thought, do your part, we are all in this together.

http://www.sitesandtrailsbc.ca/closures.aspx

Link above of BC closed to recreation, please fallow so SAR's and resources don't get unnecessary pressures put to them.

Sorry...don't feel I'm being selfish or simplistic...that's your opinion and you're welcome to it...isolate as you see fit.

My wife and I have been isolating...she has cancelled at least two weeks worth of work and I have been limiting my work as much as possible. We have had pretty much zero close physical contact with anyone for the last two weeks other than grocery shopping and myself going sledding a few days. I guess that makes me selfish and simplistic in some peoples minds...oh well. Went out sledding today and low and behold...I'm home in one piece and not taking up room in a hospital.

I guess we can all critique each others lives and criticize them for the unnecessary risks they may have taken lately. Driving, biking, walking, getting in the shower, getting out of bed, shopping, skipping, exercising...don't want to be stressing your heart, might have a heart attack and take up some room in a hospital.

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I was suppose to head out to Mustang and K3, got a few text and calls these last couple day's about riding and with a forecast calling for 40cm of fresh pow it honestly wasn't easy to hang it up, especially for these area's. Sled is ready to roll and I can social distance at the helm but to this point I have had a stellar season and I am not going to risk it by being selfish, poop happens.
Yes I can live to ride another day too and yes, who know how long this will last so its not a time to be spending to play.
Thanks Joel

Good for you...thanks for doing your part.

Bikeswithtrax

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

kanedog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kanedog 2015-2019, thanks for the good times S&M!
Thanks Joel

What a pussywillow.

teamdirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks like an awesome week for shredding coming up. Lots of snow, cold temps and Sun coming out! braap braap

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Joel

You know how many family's with kids were up owls yesterday, I'd say there was more kids than adults , we had a teen in our group too

I'm pretty sure the kids are going stir crazy, just like the dads

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You know how many family's with kids were up owls yesterday, I'd say there was more kids than adults , we had a teen in our group too

I'm pretty sure the kids are going stir crazy, just like the dads
Nice to see people spending time with their kids.

Top Bottom