Good and Bad 2006 Dodge Diesel?

Red Mtn Riders

Reaction score
Agreed...I am driving my 9th Dodge diesel right now, and my 06 was the only one that I have had trouble with. All trouble was with injectors...no internet legend here...bills to prove LOL

No offense Red Mtn, but livin on TDR doesnt make anyone an authority on diesels LOL

06's had injector problems, if you owned one you would have likely had to deal with it, I dont know of many that didnt have issues. Other than that loved the truck.

6.7 I have had no problems with, EGR and DPF removed within first month, and no issues since.

OK, whatever you say. Pretty sure I owned enough of them to know for myself, including two '06s. The TDR reference was to conform that I hadn't read about problems with the 06s there either. Since they are nearly identical form 04.5-06, tell me what causes the 06 to have so many more problems?

koda9192

Reaction score
OK, whatever you say. Pretty sure I owned enough of them to know for myself, including two '06s. The TDR reference was to conform that I hadn't read about problems with the 06s there either. Since they are nearly identical form 04.5-06, tell me what causes the 06 to have so many more problems?

Parts sales where down in North America!!! 06 was a good year.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I work for A Dodge dealer and since the 6.7 came out we have only replaced 2 engines and that was when they first came out and Cummins shipped us replacements right from Indiana. Since those 2 we have not torn down or replaced any 6.7's and we see alot of trucks. We do see alot of pluged DPF's and do alot of turbo cleans but we have replaced more turbo's on the 5.9 just in the last month then all the 6.7 turbo's we have done. I'm not saying one is better than the other but just what i've seen from experience. I have a 2008 and have had no emmision problems. (I know i'm a lucky one though)

Yes, but how many 5.9's are out there compared to 6.7's? And turbo problems on the 5.9 are so rare. Plus, you have the SAME chance of turbo problems on the 6.7 as the 5.9 PLUS the chance of the DPF taking it out. PLUS if you loose your turbo, you got a chance of loosing your engine from it. Yes both trucks have problems but stock, your chances of 6.7 problems are i'd say 3 or 4 times as likely. And if you go DPF delete, your risk is the same as the 5.9, but yes they still have problems, but you'll be paying out of your own pocket on the 6.7. Not to mention, the soot going back into the engine and turbo is gaureented to reduce turbo and engine life. The 6.7 left in stock form won't be a million km diesel anymore. Not even close. There is no benefit to the 6.7, it has a bit more power, but throw a few mods on either and they are almost identical, just the 5.9 sees better mileage.

The 6.7 is bad enough I will never buy one, or any newer diesel unless they pull their head out of their a$$ and deal with the emissions the right way and not continue to kill the diesels.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes, but how many 5.9's are out there compared to 6.7's? And turbo problems on the 5.9 are so rare. Plus, you have the SAME chance of turbo problems on the 6.7 as the 5.9 PLUS the chance of the DPF taking it out. PLUS if you loose your turbo, you got a chance of loosing your engine from it. Yes both trucks have problems but stock, your chances of 6.7 problems are i'd say 3 or 4 times as likely. And if you go DPF delete, your risk is the same as the 5.9, but yes they still have problems, but you'll be paying out of your own pocket on the 6.7. Not to mention, the soot going back into the engine and turbo is gaureented to reduce turbo and engine life. The 6.7 left in stock form won't be a million km diesel anymore. Not even close. There is no benefit to the 6.7, it has a bit more power, but throw a few mods on either and they are almost identical, just the 5.9 sees better mileage.

The 6.7 is bad enough I will never buy one, or any newer diesel unless they pull their head out of their a$$ and deal with the emissions the right way and not continue to kill the diesels.

I would think you better get the polish out for your 04 cause "emissions" ant going away. With emissions comes lake of power and or mileage. Look at the stock can on your sled you think they put that heavy POS on there cause its cheaper then a MBRP can? If the 6.7 is getting 17-19mpg I'd say thats not bad my dirtymax was not getting that!

koda9192

Reaction score

I'm not arguing with you, i'm just telling you what i've seen thats all. I have no opinion on which is better or worse.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would think you better get the polish out for your 04 cause "emissions" ant going away. With emissions comes lake of power and or mileage. Look at the stock can on your sled you think they put that heavy POS on there cause its cheaper then a MBRP can? If the 6.7 is getting 17-19mpg I'd say thats not bad my dirtymax was not getting that!

It is rumoured Cummins is intergrating the emissions into the engine...no more DPF or any of that BS. If that happens it might be ok. But as of right now I plan to keep my 04 forever, to much money into it to ever sell it, and looks better then new anyways :d I would go back to a gasser before I would put up with a DPF.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone of you TDD guys know if the 2007 with a 5.9 would come with the new 6 sp tranny?

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nope, it didn't come out until 07.5, then it's all 6.7.

ram4tow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone of you TDD guys know if the 2007 with a 5.9 would come with the new 6 sp tranny?

I dont believe they have a 68re mated with a 5.9. that trans seems alot better stock vs stock than the 48re.

I dunno how much this is true but, when i went into the dealer when i got all 6 of my injectors replaced on my 2006 the mechanic and some of the service guys told me that MAJORITY of the 2006's were the ones that came with injector issues. I asked the same question regarding why is it just the 2006's they really couldn't come up with a answer that satisfied me but they stated that "it just seems that its the 2006's that are coming in for injectors ( cracked bodies, worn tips etc).

Each truck is different along with how each owner maintains his truck. i used to change my fuel filter every time i changed oil and ran a conditioner in the winter, although now i have a different fuel pump.

One guy will get 300+k out of his cummins with no issues.. the next will only get 50k and have to replace injectors or some other part, there's definitely lemons out there these days.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just saw a ad for a 2007 5.9 3500 6sp auto, I guess I should phone and ask must be a misprint.

Jazzygurl

Reaction score
I just saw a ad for a 2007 5.9 3500 6sp auto, I guess I should phone and ask must be a misprint.

Yup!! Most Definetly a mis print!!!

I agree with Ram4tow all trucks are different.

I have an 06 2500 and I love it, only had to replace the rear U-joint on warranty at 70 km mind you... but if its on warranty.. I say giver! LOL

Good luck & happy hunting!!

I looked around forever for my truck.. because there is hardly any 5.9's on the lots or was when i was looking last summer. So the dealership picked one up for me at a dealer auction, so the truck was alot cheaper than driving a used one off the lot. I test drove SLT's with 30 000 more k than my truck was when i bought and they wanted $39 for it.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
found a 2008 3500 mega with 63000 kms full load for $36000.00 just about to buy it over the phone.......US truck, no warranty

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
I have the 06 3500 mega cab and it has been great with a few minor repairs,

rear shocks twice now, side windows and rear windows all cracked and were repaired by warranty (apparently 2006 mega cabs had bad glass dealer tells me)
seals and ball joints but all regular wear and tear maintainence. I had a 06 ford f-350 and while I think the ford would have pulled the pants off this truck, the mileage more than makes up for it!! I have 95000km on it and have no plans of getting rid of this one!

My brother has identical truck with 250000 km and has replaced transmission twice, but he pulls his fifth wheel with it quite a bit

great trucks!!

I've got the same truck.Just replaced both front axle u-joints and pinion seal(threw some brake pads in while it was apart)120,000k.Also have a cracked window but they wouldn't relace it under warranty so I'll just leave it till it falls out:d
Other than that it's been a great truck!

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes it would come with the G56 6 speed. It came out 2005.5 and was the only option for the 2006 and up Diesel manual tranny.

My bad, Sorry I meant the auto 6sd. My clutch pushing days are over......I think!

RMK Junky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Thinking of buying a 2006 Dodge Diesel 3500 136000km anyone have good or bad to say about these trucks?
Thanks

Mine's an '06 factory ordered QC LB 3500 dually. There is only 65,000km and 2100hrs on the truck. My only complaint is how it breathes. The air box/filter are a joke. Way to much restriction. I use a K&N drop in filter in the summer and clean it regularly. The other little issuse is the blow by tube off the crank case. This sometimes freezes off and creates a vacum then thaws out dumping oil on the gound ( about half a cup ). It has done this twice since new. Other than that it's been a really good and dependable truck :d

Top Bottom