Good and Bad 2006 Dodge Diesel?

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thinking of buying a 2006 Dodge Diesel 3500 136000km anyone have good or bad to say about these trucks?
Thanks

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
thinking of buying a 2006 dodge diesel 3500 136000km anyone have good or bad to say about these trucks?
Thanks

no trouble with my '06 3500 megacab 5.9l diesel........ 85000kms

did the front pinion seal and rear pinion seal(warranty)

did all 4 front ball joints(warranty) and upgraded tie-rod steering system(warranty), and 4 shock absorbers(warranty)..... The dealer was looking for a steering wobble, witch ended up being a seperated tire and alignment problem..... All good now

ram4tow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have a 2006 i have been happy with it even though Ive replaced a few things in it, I had no issues with it until around 100k the transmission went out on it so i had one built with billet internals, i had to do the front end (ball joints, tie rod ends and 4 new shocks) at 140k. i replaced the junky rugged trail t/a tires almost as soon as i got it . i replaced the rear pinion seal around 100k as well as it was leaking. then at 145k i had all 6 injectors replaced under warranty at sherwood park dodge. ( 2006 seemed to have injector issues " cracking bodies and tips)

the power in the truck is great, pulls whatever i need it too with minimal effort and seems to be a lot better on fuel than a few of my friends duramax's. it rides rough but what do you expect from a 2500 ? :d.. its heavy in the deep snow and pushes a bit in the front due to the weight of the diesel engine. the interior is some what less plain but i replaced the cloth seats in mine with leather seats from a 2005 dodge diesel. wired them up and have no complaints i love the seats!

i must say the best thing ive done for the truck was the transmission. it shifts way faster, holds the power up hills and just overall tows better. i put a triple disk billet converter in as well. really made it feel like completely different truck.

This is definetly a truck i can see myself keeping for a long time.. helps that its paid for too :d:beer:.

Red Mtn Riders

Reaction score
I owned 2 '03s, an '05 and 2 '06s. They are the best trucks out there. I definately prefer the six speed to the auto. On five trucks I lost 2 injectors and two auto tranny's. On tranny wnet when the cooling fan sensor failed, the other when my ex put it in R at 50 with a horse trailer behind.

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
Overkill...

I have an 08 listed in the classifieds if interested. Financing available...

2008 Megacab 3500 Laramie, Black. Lots of upgrades and add-ons. Let me know if interested!

arcticdodge

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought an 06 MegaCab about 5months ago now with the 5.9 diesel. it is a 2500. I absolutely love the truck. All stock and way more power than any vehicle I've had. Everything seems fine with it, but after getting it stuck today the stock tires are on the upgrade ASAP list. Is it through a dealer or private.:d

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They are great trucks, the 06's are bad for injectors, under stock power the 48RE is ok, but add much for power or more strain then stock and you'll need a tranny. I wouldn't even consider a auto personally. I got my 04 at 95km not a single warranty issue beforehand and pretty much nothing done but brakes, i've had to do rear driveshaft u-joint, and axle shaft u-joints and i'm just at 140k. Just put on the upgraded steering, the stock was ok but was putting on a lift so figured I would replace it. The front end on many go quick and can get pricy if you don't do things yourself but other then that they are great. But IMO I would rather worry about a front end then a engine :p

I felt the u-joints went out pretty early considering they went out around 115k, but it could be worse.

The Snowman

Reaction score
I have the 06 3500 mega cab and it has been great with a few minor repairs,

rear shocks twice now, side windows and rear windows all cracked and were repaired by warranty (apparently 2006 mega cabs had bad glass dealer tells me)
seals and ball joints but all regular wear and tear maintainence. I had a 06 ford f-350 and while I think the ford would have pulled the pants off this truck, the mileage more than makes up for it!! I have 95000km on it and have no plans of getting rid of this one!

My brother has identical truck with 250000 km and has replaced transmission twice, but he pulls his fifth wheel with it quite a bit

great trucks!!

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The truck I looked at today with 137000km was beat to death with gravel rash. the tail gate and both sides were chipped to he!!. If I was painter it would be a not bad buy! Full load 06 3500 mega cab. $28000.00 on Kijiji.

Has anyone have any good or bad about the 6.7, I've heard they suck in the mileage dept, but my chev was no Jetta!
P.S I know the 6.7 did not come in 2006!

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Overkill...

I have an 08 listed in the classifieds if interested. Financing available...

2008 Megacab 3500 Laramie, Black. Lots of upgrades and add-ons. Let me know if interested!

Sent you a PM. I was trying to stay in the $300000 range. Please dont take that as a low ball...I hate that low balling behind a computer sh1t!!

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
Sent you a PM. I was trying to stay in the $300000 range. Please dont take that as a low ball...I hate that low balling behind a computer sh1t!!

I am willing to negotiate a bit, but for sure cant get all the way down to 30k, sent you a pm.

As far as the 6.7 goes, its a torque monster, not as good mileage as the 5.9 but I have ditched the DPF and the cats and now I can get around 19 running 35" tires. Just left Red Deer and ran down to Whitefish, averaged 18 on the way down, less than one tank of fuel. I will normally run as much as 700kms per tank.

No issues with the 08, 06 had injector problems, and u-joints, other than that loved my 06.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am willing to negotiate a bit, but for sure cant get all the way down to 30k, sent you a pm.

As far as the 6.7 goes, its a torque monster, not as good mileage as the 5.9 but I have ditched the DPF and the cats and now I can get around 19 running 35" tires. Just left Red Deer and ran down to Whitefish, averaged 18 on the way down, less than one tank of fuel. I will normally run as much as 700kms per tank.

No issues with the 08, 06 had injector problems, and u-joints, other than that loved my 06.

Thanks, did not expect ya to go to $30, like I said its what I wanted to spend, not a offer! I'm going to build a garage this year as well so only so much cash to go around. Thanks

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The 6.7 is bad because of the emissions....if you leave them intact it's a better then not chance your going to have issues with them. Yes if you delete the DPF they are pretty good and almost the same as a 5.9. But then you risk any/all warranty remaining. Most dealers will look if it's been tampered with/removed and void ALL warranty if so. So lets say you lose your engine in a 6.7 with the DPF removed even at 10,000km, no warranty, your paying out of your pocket. There isn't a dealer anywhere who will do warranty work with that kind of emissions removed because if they are caught they won't be a dealer anymore. And on pricy things like a engine chrysler will be coming out and looking at the truck themselves. It is a rare thing, but quite a few people have been loosing engines in the 6.7, the emissions is HIGHLY to blame.

It's a big risk....for nothing IMO. The 5.9 is a solid platform that is proven. The 6.7 is just not, even since 07.5 the problems haven't been fixed. My dads has been a nightmare. Almost at 100km and the check engine light has been on longer then off. Plus with the DPF intact it will drink the diesel back like no other, I see quite a bit better mileage on my 04 running 38's in the CITY then he stock 100% stock......

Some people are leaving the DPF until warranty is up, but the damage to the engine has been done by the emissions. I would NEVER even think of buying a truck with that emissions. The soot that the turbo sees, you might as well throw sand into it. SO many turbo problems.....

Red Mtn Riders

Reaction score
I wouldn't touch an emmissions diesel (07 or newer) from any maker with a 10 foot pole. EGR is horrible for a deisel, the DPF system is troublesome to say the least.

Not sure where you guys get this idea the 06s were hard on injectors. The design is identical from 04.5-06, the whole dang engine is the same. I put over 100k miles on two different 06s and lost one injector on a modded truck at 125k miles.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't touch an emmissions diesel (07 or newer) from any maker with a 10 foot pole. EGR is horrible for a deisel, the DPF system is troublesome to say the least.

Not sure where you guys get this idea the 06s were hard on injectors. The design is identical from 04.5-06, the whole dang engine is the same. I put over 100k miles on two different 06s and lost one injector on a modded truck at 125k miles.

Actually, the 05-07 were a bit different from the 04.5, very little but there was a change. It is extremly known and common that 06's are just bad for injectors. Look at most 06's and you'll see they had atleast some replace under warranty.

Red Mtn Riders

Reaction score
04.5 is when the injectors changed, along with the power. In 04.5 the engine became the "600", injectors were the same until the 6.7

How do you explain the 06 being worse than the 05 if they were the same?

Just not buying it. I almost lived on TDR for 5 years, I also owned an 05 and two 06s. Never heard the '06s were bad for injectors. Sounds like internet legend;)

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I thought they changed the ecu program for the DPF in 07.5 and things got better. The main thing with the DPF is to get that engine up to temp and run it on the highway so it can go into regen mode and burn everything off.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
04.5 is when the injectors changed, along with the power. In 04.5 the engine became the "600", injectors were the same until the 6.7

How do you explain the 06 being worse than the 05 if they were the same?

Just not buying it. I almost lived on TDR for 5 years, I also owned an 05 and two 06s. Never heard the '06s were bad for injectors. Sounds like internet legend;)

It has been shown time and time again 06's are just bad for injectors, not really sure why but they eat them badly.

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
Agreed...I am driving my 9th Dodge diesel right now, and my 06 was the only one that I have had trouble with. All trouble was with injectors...no internet legend here...bills to prove LOL

No offense Red Mtn, but livin on TDR doesnt make anyone an authority on diesels LOL

06's had injector problems, if you owned one you would have likely had to deal with it, I dont know of many that didnt have issues. Other than that loved the truck.

6.7 I have had no problems with, EGR and DPF removed within first month, and no issues since.

koda9192

Reaction score
The 6.7 is bad because of the emissions....if you leave them intact it's a better then not chance your going to have issues with them. Yes if you delete the DPF they are pretty good and almost the same as a 5.9. But then you risk any/all warranty remaining. Most dealers will look if it's been tampered with/removed and void ALL warranty if so. So lets say you lose your engine in a 6.7 with the DPF removed even at 10,000km, no warranty, your paying out of your pocket. There isn't a dealer anywhere who will do warranty work with that kind of emissions removed because if they are caught they won't be a dealer anymore. And on pricy things like a engine chrysler will be coming out and looking at the truck themselves. It is a rare thing, but quite a few people have been loosing engines in the 6.7, the emissions is HIGHLY to blame.

It's a big risk....for nothing IMO. The 5.9 is a solid platform that is proven. The 6.7 is just not, even since 07.5 the problems haven't been fixed. My dads has been a nightmare. Almost at 100km and the check engine light has been on longer then off. Plus with the DPF intact it will drink the diesel back like no other, I see quite a bit better mileage on my 04 running 38's in the CITY then he stock 100% stock......

Some people are leaving the DPF until warranty is up, but the damage to the engine has been done by the emissions. I would NEVER even think of buying a truck with that emissions. The soot that the turbo sees, you might as well throw sand into it. SO many turbo problems.....

I work for A Dodge dealer and since the 6.7 came out we have only replaced 2 engines and that was when they first came out and Cummins shipped us replacements right from Indiana. Since those 2 we have not torn down or replaced any 6.7's and we see alot of trucks. We do see alot of pluged DPF's and do alot of turbo cleans but we have replaced more turbo's on the 5.9 just in the last month then all the 6.7 turbo's we have done. I'm not saying one is better than the other but just what i've seen from experience. I have a 2008 and have had no emmision problems. (I know i'm a lucky one though)

Top Bottom