Golden and area riding conditons for 2014-2015

teamdirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was out all weekend skiing in the south Purcells. There is very little snow until you hit the alpine. 6000ft and below nothing. 8000ft and above great consolidated base sitting around 60-90cm thanks to the last warm spell and rain that penetrated the snowpack. Sealed up well and is now concrete. Depending where you are you will find 15-40cm of blower on top of that. If you can't get your sled above alpine without a quick short approach don't bother. Not worth it in the Golden region. If we pick up another 50-60cm in the next few weeks it will get good quick. Would like to hear other reports from the region on current conditions, but unfortunately nothing in the long range forecast for snow for the next 10days....

Last edited:

Shadam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
in town today I saw a truck with 2 sleds on the deck with considerable amounts of snow on them. both had a ski racks so ... maybe more skiing than brappin ...

but **** is happening, locals are crazy, and I'll be up there somewhere wensdy thursdy and will check in with numbers ...

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
in town today I saw a truck with 2 sleds on the deck with considerable amounts of snow on them. both had a ski racks so ... maybe more skiing than brappin ...

but **** is happening, locals are crazy, and I'll be up there somewhere wensdy thursdy and will check in with numbers ...

Aaron B was up Quartz, 60 cm at cabin, 100ish at high elevations. Might have been those guys you saw as they had their planks with them.

GSR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
haha I was out! And had a blast! 60cm at cabin and 100+ in alpine. Getting in was THIN, but manageable for "adventure" sledders. Beginners will hate you.... and me for saying it's "good to go".... so I'm not saying that... haha.

Check out this link for the whole story... / adventure. Up past the cabin towards Maga Bowl there is another creek crossing and lots of rock to be aware of. But after you get to the alpine it's pretty smooth sailing with a light touch and some serious rock awareness. Be careful. You can get up high and have fun but remember ROCKS = $$$$$$!

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There has only been 1 snow cycle in golden, at minimum wait for the second one in a couple weeks I am guessing. Even when there is snow at the parking lot it is still low on snow up there. Early season and Gorman your asking to replace a bulkhead.
Or more than that

Even January there's big rocks, bigger than trucks to hit.... Still have be careful

Shadam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
word is you will get into gorman, lake is tryn to freeze over ... but best of luck with that !!!

mostly skiers n snowboarders in there at mo. I'm told creek crossings are sh1ty and unpassable by most.
but that was a few days ago and creeks are freezing up fast even in valley bottoms, I woke up to -18 this morn.

gorman is a rock garden at best, I like my sled too much to bust trail in there ...

P.S. I still haven't been out yet. not in a hurry to wreak my sled ...

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Going to go check out a spot by Golden on Saturday that's got some fresh,, Maybe Revy on Sunday,, but the snow looks pretty decent at this spot, so might hit it Sunday too.

ice_kolde1

Reaction score
Thanks Boyz. I'm in gorman usually early. I'm mostly worried about the lake being frozen enough yet. Might have to head on to revy.

Shadam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
buddies are having fun at quartz. lotsa skiing n snowboarding going on there, but wotev ...

many wrecked sleds already at quartz !!!

not just the usual arm's damage, but full write offs !!!

remember its call "the rocky mountains" for a reason ...

but don't worry too much, the sled shops luv early season riders and their credit cards. they'll happily let you cry on thier shoulder and listen to your hard luck story as they take your $$$

Top Bottom