Go Pro Hero3 battery life

tekim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I was using my GoPro Hero3 for basically the first time on the weekend. How many hours of video are you guys getting on a battery charge?

Do you just turn it on and let it record all day, or just on and off when you are going to do something epic?! Lol :D

JP.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
About 2 hours recording in full 1080 hd ......just record when you do something awesome.....cold weather is harder on them also.

tekim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
About 2 hours recording in full 1080 hd ......just record when you do something awesome.....cold weather is harder on them also.

Therein lies the problem. A guy never knows when he is going to do something pretty awesome (or pretty stupid, lol :D )

duck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I find the battery does not last as long as the one in my Hero 2 did. I carry about 4 extra battery's plus the backpack battery. Cold weather just kills the battery. -5 and warmer is ok.

summit1974

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
use that remote it came with !press play when you wanna record .that makes it easier to manage battery life.

Heimie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I tried mine, just turn it on and record all the time. Battery lasted a little over an hour. Then I tried the one button on and record mode, and still about the same record time. Problem I find is after draining two batteries, I have a LOT of boring footage and a huge waste of time watching it all to find the good stuff.

That being said, I was thinking about this and before I had the GoPro, I used to just ride and hope someone sees the awesome stuff I did or tell the story at the end of the day. Now, I think that I will keep the one button mode set, and just turn it on before I think I'll do something cool, but if I forget, oh well. Or I'll just turn the camera on, and do it again!

I've only had it for riding in Swan Hills and Edson so far, but when riding in the mountains, I'll probably have it off, untill a good climb or nice bowl, then turn it on for a little while, and then off again. Might make it last a little longer and just have awesome footage by the end of the day.

tekim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
use that remote it came with !press play when you wanna record .that makes it easier to manage battery life.

but since that thing is wifi it would kill the battery faster no?

I got the Silver, so it didn't come with the remote. I did read that when the wifi is on, that also drains the battery faster as well, which is too bad, because I liked using the iPhone app to preview the viewing angle before recording.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got the Silver, so it didn't come with the remote. I did read that when the wifi is on, that also drains the battery faster as well, which is too bad, because I liked using the iPhone app to preview the viewing angle before recording.

true. the nice thing about the HERO3 is it has such a large veiw angle ive rarely aimed my camera wrong. its seems to almost always be right. even after hitting a tree and re adjusting on the fly

Heimie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Couldn't you use the app to look at and set the camera position, then just turn the WiFi off with the side button?

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Battery life sucks on mine, it's the biggest downfall of the camera. I do like to use the wifi remote though so once I get where I'm riding the camera stays on and I just hit the record/stop button. I have found keeping the cam in your jacket the battery lasts longer because it doesn't get so cold on the trail ride up. PITA to attach and detach it though. I also need to turn down the video quality as my damn laptop can't edit it.

summit1974

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya using WiFi will drain battery faster.2 hrs of video in a day is LOTS!!if you need more you are better than burant!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom