Getting new sled trailer need help deciding

Destroyer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I'm going to get a sled/motox trailer put together for me. Help me decide what i need. This is my first enclosed trailer so I'm having a hard time deciding what to go with.

I think I want 24'+ the V.

Can't decide deck over or low boy

Don't really ever use the front door so I was thinking cabinets and tool box in Vnose

How High?

I want to insulate the whole thing and heat it. I want to be able to dry all the riders gear out in the trailer.

Where to put fuel doors?

Is there any fuel tank options to put in the frame with a pump for race or avgas?

110V kit?

Propane heat or electical with generator?

If there's anything else anyone would like to add or comment let me know. I like to learn from others mistakes lol

hbar218

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I used to have a mid deck with the wheel wells inside. I thought I wanted a deck over so that is what I bought. It is quite a climb to get into man door now and the ramp is pretty steep. I think the mid deck is the way to go. Make sure you get it high enough to fit a side x side or if you ever try to sell it you will have a hard time.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Most everything has reverse now so the front doors are kind of redundant. I would go fully insulated and spray foam the floor too, tool box, work bench, stereo, 2 6v batteries with inverter in the front. Get underbody fuel tank with pump, and fuel doors on the drivers side, fluorescent lighting (can never have too much light). As far as heat most guys go with propane but I was in a trailer last year that had wabasto heaters in it and they work awesome while taking up less room. Either way I would use ducting with a bunch of outlets to hang boots, helmets, etc on. I prefer low boy so it can be used for cars as well. For sure 110v and some flip down bunks would be nice too for when you're feeling hardcore and want to camp in the staging area.

Destroyer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Yeah getting a bunk or two. i'll use those every weekend for Motox. What are thosewabasto heaters?

Destroyer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Like that heating idea and the helmet and coat racks are good as long as stuff would dry out there for sure. If the trailer gets toasty enough it would work good. I seen a mint Boot/Glove dryer made from PVC pipe too just hooked right up to the forced air unit.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Chad, PM the Rotax Kid. He has a pretty sweet enclosed. He is out of Balgonie.

The only thing that I would suggest (as I am a deck dude) is that the drying racks should be in the middle and not on a wall so that the air would circulate all around the gear. That is just a thinking man's opinion, so I am open to other's thoughts on that one.........:d

Vipertonytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree on the front door mine never gets used. I have propane forced air as well as electric heat and I also carry a propane radiant heater (top of bottle model from princess auto) I keep my remote start yamaha genet under my sled deck on the truck. Tons of florescent lights all around top walls, tons of hooks and roof hooks for hanging gear. Fire up my genet and get all three heat sources going and gear all dries out fast. *If your doing this put two sink drains in the back corners of your trailer to let the water out. First time I did this I opened back door and had about 20 gallons of water rush out LOL!! Good idea to carry a dead blow or rubber hammer to knock snow and ice build-up off your sleds before loading. Oh for the floor drains wrap underneath with either 110 0r 12V heat tape as they can freeze. Put the stoppers in for travel so no dust swirls in the back(especially in summer)

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree on the front door mine never gets used. I have propane forced air as well as electric heat and I also carry a propane radiant heater (top of bottle model from princess auto) I keep my remote start yamaha genet under my sled deck on the truck. Tons of florescent lights all around top walls, tons of hooks and roof hooks for hanging gear. Fire up my genet and get all three heat sources going and gear all dries out fast. *If your doing this put two sink drains in the back corners of your trailer to let the water out. First time I did this I opened back door and had about 20 gallons of water rush out LOL!! Good idea to carry a dead blow or rubber hammer to knock snow and ice build-up off your sleds before loading. Oh for the floor drains wrap underneath with either 110 0r 12V heat tape as they can freeze. Put the stoppers in for travel so no dust swirls in the back(especially in summer)

Floor drains good idea, doesn't hurt to have 4 or 6 of them. Heat rises, its nice to have the heat piped down low and it will rise in the trailer and keep things more uniformly heated. the in-floor Burandt heating is extravagant IMO, could get the same effect with a few well placed chunks of 2" PVC in the trailer frame rails as a poor mans option. Insulate well for sure, then its a livable trailer on an overnighter, we've camped at the trail head before, no issues, but you will be stinky after a day or two of riding and no shower....

Drop down/swing down racks from the ceiling will help use some of the unused space, and like FS says, get some air movement around jackets that would likely otherwise be hanging against a wall. Just make sure to place them somewhere they won't be hanging in the middle of trailer for when you're staying in it.

Get it as high as you can, 84"? Talk to Maxwell, I think he almost took his head off once or something.

Tons of "Between the axle" fuel tank designs, you can get a 12VDC pump for kerosene, diesel, fuel no problems to pump av or race gas.

Propane or kerosene forced air heater much more efficient than electric.

An option to store the spare tire under the tongue or somewhere out of the way, not inside...

If you are not going to use the v-nose, some good cabinets on one side (need locking doors).

Flourscent lights are nice, if you can afford it, IMO LED's will be easier and cheaper to maintain, and quieter to run IMO. If you are going flourescent, get the ones with cold weather ballasts and they won't hum/buzz when its below 0 C, but they'll cost more. Carry a few spare bulbs for when your tallest buddy swings his helmet up to put it on and smashes one. See comment on height.

Spray skirt on the truck to keep the rocks and gravel down, and if you can get it, clear 3M film on the front of the trailer will keep it looking like new a lot longer and clean up easier.

scrfce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Most everything has reverse now so the front doors are kind of redundant. I would go fully insulated and spray foam the floor too, tool box, work bench, stereo, 2 6v batteries with inverter in the front. Get underbody fuel tank with pump, and fuel doors on the drivers side, fluorescent lighting (can never have too much light). As far as heat most guys go with propane but I was in a trailer last year that had wabasto heaters in it and they work awesome while taking up less room. Either way I would use ducting with a bunch of outlets to hang boots, helmets, etc on. I prefer low boy so it can be used for cars as well. For sure 110v and some flip down bunks would be nice too for when you're feeling hardcore and want to camp in the staging area.
How or what do you use to spray foam the floor, where can you get it? Not just those spray paint can sized instafoam?
im also gonna get some bunks and a fold down/up work bench, then a couple windows and xtra vents come spring for the camping/moto use of the trailer.

lewishillbilly

Reaction score
Floor drains good idea, doesn't hurt to have 4 or 6 of them. Heat rises, its nice to have the heat piped down low and it will rise in the trailer and keep things more uniformly heated. the in-floor Burandt heating is extravagant IMO, could get the same effect with a few well placed chunks of 2" PVC in the trailer frame rails as a poor mans option. Insulate well for sure, then its a livable trailer on an overnighter, we've camped at the trail head before, no issues, but you will be stinky after a day or two of riding and no shower....

Drop down/swing down racks from the ceiling will help use some of the unused space, and like FS says, get some air movement around jackets that would likely otherwise be hanging against a wall. Just make sure to place them somewhere they won't be hanging in the middle of trailer for when you're staying in it.

Get it as high as you can, 84"? Talk to Maxwell, I think he almost took his head off once or something.

Tons of "Between the axle" fuel tank designs, you can get a 12VDC pump for kerosene, diesel, fuel no problems to pump av or race gas.

Propane or kerosene forced air heater much more efficient than electric.

An option to store the spare tire under the tongue or somewhere out of the way, not inside...

If you are not going to use the v-nose, some good cabinets on one side (need locking doors).

Flourscent lights are nice, if you can afford it, IMO LED's will be easier and cheaper to maintain, and quieter to run IMO. If you are going flourescent, get the ones with cold weather ballasts and they won't hum/buzz when its below 0 C, but they'll cost more. Carry a few spare bulbs for when your tallest buddy swings his helmet up to put it on and smashes one. See comment on height.

Spray skirt on the truck to keep the rocks and gravel down, and if you can get it, clear 3M film on the front of the trailer will keep it looking like new a lot longer and clean up easier.
extravagant???!!!...he did say 34 feet of 'ROLLING PIMPINNESS !!!

chezandy0

Reaction score
If you need benches i got these from a guy here in edmonton they work great and were a killer price and well built and powder coated.They came fully assembled took about 1 beer to install them. Hardest part was what colour i wanted them coated.Sorry phone pics the other pics wont upload but i can send them if needed. ill try again later

sled trailer benches 001.jpg

Last edited:

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There now it came through!

View attachment 160595

where did you get them i need those!!!

also..the burandt trailer is sick. there was one at the sled show last season. however it is STEEL. no problem with that but hauling from SK might not be very economical. it will probly be my next trailer however mine goes a total of 30km to the hill each day thats it.

and the roof height comments are TRUTH. i got mine for a steal but if i could do it again...and i will.....i would get one that would at least haul a gently lifted sxs with big tires. and one time i came in hot and almost took my head off on the ceiling. so yes....8ft min...

d8grandpa

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here is a few pics of my setup, sorry it is a little messy right now been using it as utility trailer through out summer.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 189
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    232.5 KB · Views: 181
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    236.3 KB · Views: 190
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg