G5 Turbo Overheat

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever had their temperature warning beep when going on an icy trail? Scratchers down of course.

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't have the flap and mine got hot a couple times in the low snow early season junk trails

Buddy with the flap was a bar or two colder usually

when its icy, i try to limit RPM to 5000ish and it seems to help as the sled makes no power with exhaust valves closed.

Cableguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i removed 5-6 oz of antifreeze and replaced with water wetter
my sled consistanly runs 8 10 degreees cooler than my buddies g5

jcjc1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
had a couple times last year where i killed the engine as the temp was climbing on an icy trail while using flap and scratchers. shoved a bunch of snow under the tunnel rack and no problems after. old rack had a solid metal base made by bushpusher which works great but picked up a new one with the base being a series of rods. should hold snow much better.

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think most of us think nothing of getting to the temperature where it gives us the warning beep. It's a pretty normal thing with the mountain sleds.

Well, l have a 23 G5 turbo with only 700km. It quit twice up in the alpine at full throttle. I've been riding over 30 years in the mountains and know what a full throttle insta stop of the engine usually means. It rode out normally but a piston got scuffed bad.

I'm being denied warranty because there are three overheats logged in the ECU. Sucks to be me.

MP Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think most of us think nothing of getting to the temperature where it gives us the warning beep. It's a pretty normal thing with the mountain sleds.

Well, l have a 23 G5 turbo with only 700km. It quit twice up in the alpine at full throttle. I've been riding over 30 years in the mountains and know what a full throttle insta stop of the engine usually means. It rode out normally but a piston got scuffed bad.

I'm being denied warranty because there are three overheats logged in the ECU. Sucks to be me.
That sucks man….

Unfortunately… I’m not surprised.

And now we wait for the Maxwell/Norona BS excuses….

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That sucks man….

Unfortunately… I’m not surprised.

And now we wait for the Maxwell/Norona BS excuses….

No excuses from me, I never let mine get to the beep because I’ve heard the horror stories about warranty. The beep should be the shutdown warning not the warranty ender. If that’s how they are going to operate then the warning tone should come on sooner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Typical BRP warranty unfortunately.

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I find the optional flap and scratchers are required 90% of the time out here and you I have to watch temperature constantly getting up the trail. Gets near 60C and I put snow on tunnel or chainsaw if enough snow or sit for a while. Pain in the ass. Buddys matrix and his cat can only get a few km at a time without alarms in same conditions.

jcjc1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

that blows. what caused the insta stops or is it because of the prior overheats?

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When does it beep?

Shut mine down at 78° on Christmas Day going up Allan Creek trail all icy and whooped. Packed snow on the tunnel & track and then waited a few minutes. While sitting I watched temps continue to rise up to about 85° on the big screen in red numbers. Funny it was still reading temperatures while OFF, I thought the battery just ran the screen, not the ECM. Fired it back up, and it immediately came back down in to the 70s and then 60s when I started moving again.

Wondering if that singular event is going to be logged in the ECM and be a warranty stopper for me.

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that blows. what caused the insta stops or is it because of the prior overheats?
That is the question. Why did it seize? In my opinion there's no way those low speed trail, minor overheats hurt anything. I couldn't count how many times I've done the same to all previous sleds. It backfired some on an earlier full throttle pull in the alpine. Maybe an injector problem. The dealer thought there was evidence of the PTO seal leaking. BRP doesn't care.

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When does it beep?

Shut mine down at 78° on Christmas Day going up Allan Creek trail all icy and whooped. Packed snow on the tunnel & track and then waited a few minutes. While sitting I watched temps continue to rise up to about 85° on the big screen in red numbers. Funny it was still reading temperatures while OFF, I thought the battery just ran the screen, not the ECM. Fired it back up, and it immediately came back down in to the 70s and then 60s when I started moving again.

Wondering if that singular event is going to be logged in the ECM and be a warranty stopper for me.
The thermostat seems to hold it at 50°C from what l observed. 80° is the warning. I thought they had an automatic shutdown at critical temperature.

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The thermostat seems to hold it at 50°C from what l observed. 80° is the warning. I thought they had an automatic shutdown at critical temperature.
20cm on the trail last weekend and I was hovering at about 43°.

The NA 850 thermostat was fully open at 55° but started to open at 37° I believe

jcjc1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I find the optional flap and scratchers are required 90% of the time out here and you I have to watch temperature constantly getting up the trail. Gets near 60C and I put snow on tunnel or chainsaw if enough snow or sit for a while. Pain in the ass. Buddys matrix and his cat can only get a few km at a time without alarms in same conditions.

your post got my wondering what the computer does when the engine is getting hot so i looked in my '23 owner's manual.
in addition to the CEL coming on:
4 short beeps every 30 sec means the engine is overheating and to lower the speed or stop the engine. same signal can also mean a muffler overheat.
short beeps repeating rapidly means critical engine overheat and it needs to be shutdown now.
the beeping is prolly hard to hear and the manual doesn't mention anything about an automatic shut down or limp mode. maybe because in limp mode things can still overheat? dunno, just guessing.
manual doesn't give the temps that the alarms start sounding.

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
your post got my wondering what the computer does when the engine is getting hot so i looked in my '23 owner's manual.
in addition to the CEL coming on:
4 short beeps every 30 sec means the engine is overheating and to lower the speed or stop the engine. same signal can also mean a muffler overheat.
short beeps repeating rapidly means critical engine overheat and it needs to be shutdown now.
the beeping is prolly hard to hear and the manual doesn't mention anything about an automatic shut down or limp mode. maybe because in limp mode things can still overheat? dunno, just guessing.
manual doesn't give the temps that the alarms start sounding.
So if the manual doesn't list any normal or temperature limit values how is someone supposed to know the limit until you experience it?

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So if the manual doesn't list any normal or temperature limit values how is someone supposed to know the limit until you experience it?
They state this in the manual as well, which is not all that specific...

1704925825366.png

Top Bottom