G5 Quick Change Axle

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya no, not even remotely the same experience
So all you die-hard Ski-doo guys that love your chaincase sleds I have this question for you:

If BRP moved to a belt drive, would you rip it off and put a chaincase back on?

I am not saying anything about reliability in this thread, only that the beltdrive solves the ease of swapping a track while keeping the design very simple and light. What it may not address is foot room compared to the case, as it may stick out an extra 1/2". And good on Doo for coming up with a comprimise that makes it easier to work on. Other than the inital shock of the new looks of the 23 Doo, they are finally moving in a great direction that makes them lighter and more desirable to riders of other brands.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So all you die-hard Ski-doo guys that love your chaincase sleds I have this question for you:

I am not saying anything about reliability in this thread, only that the beltdrive solves the ease of swapping a track while keeping the design very simple and light. What it may not address is foot room compared to the case, as it may stick out an extra 1/2". And good on Doo for coming up with a comprimise that makes it easier to work on. Other than the inital shock of the new looks of the 23 Doo, they are finally moving in a great direction that makes them lighter and more desirable to riders of other brands.

No of course not, but if their design compromised reliability i certainly wouldn't be happy about it

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Nope, IMO it’s the same thinking as the three inch track conversion. Extended chain case, all the work and money to do the conversion etc, was it really worth it?
To some nope, but if a person wants to spend the money and get it done fill your boots.
Doo was the first to do that exact mod so it was definitely worth the upgrade to the T3.

Polaris has been running the exact same style of BD system since they came out with it, No tensioner system. I’m not a big fan of that design, but the aftermarket fills the void.

I do agree, if the doo had a well designed BD system from the factory, a track change will be a lot quicker, the belt technology has progressed so much, the gates carbon is an amazing belt.

jcjc1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
belt drives are great but they're also a solution looking for a problem. far too many people claim they can't tell a performance difference (and particularly considering the cost) for me to think they're worth it for that reason. if they were that great of a performance improvement, we'd all be running them.
in terms of quick gear changes, track swapping, no oil, that's cool but those things are a non-issue for the overwhelming majority.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
belt drives are great but they're also a solution looking for a problem. far too many people claim they can't tell a performance difference (and particularly considering the cost) for me to think they're worth it for that reason. if they were that great of a performance improvement, we'd all be running them.
in terms of quick gear changes, track swapping, no oil, that's cool but those things are a non-issue for the overwhelming majority.
How many guys tie their boots and how many run the BOA system? Will you notice the difference? For sure once you make the upgrade it is very difficult to go back. To me it is similar. All about what you find valuable. It's about the total experience, if maintaining your ride is part of the experience then you might find value. If you drop it off at the dealer for service and just ride it, you may never know.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Honestly, sometimes you guys argue about the dumbest ch!t. Sometimes an OEM just does it to set themselves apart (whether its a performance advantage or not) - if Company A builds the same sled as Company B, buyers will not switch brands because they are brand loyal. There is no differentiation and you will never increase your market share. You have to do stuff different to attract buyers, and marketing it is how you tell them you are better or different, even if you really aren't.

Chaincasse vs BD is absolutely no different than 15" vs 16" tracks - no tangible performance advantage. Sure they can tell you that the rotating mass of a BD is less and they measured a 2% decrease in inertial force from the measurements in the lab blah blah, but none of that transfers to something anyone is capable of feeling on the hill. Its marketing.

And before any of you yellow undies crowd start saying "but but but floatation" and blah blah blah about the 16" wide comment, you probably haven't have done the math and based on track contact to snow on any given angle (and even less measurable as the angle increases and contact area decreases), there is not enough of a measurable performance increase to notice, unless of course you only ride with your track flat against the snow and with perfect weight distribution to both rails and sides of the track, 100% of the time. Its marketing guys.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Honestly, sometimes you guys argue about the dumbest ch!t. Sometimes an OEM just does it to set themselves apart (whether its a performance advantage or not) - if Company A builds the same sled as Company B, buyers will not switch brands because they are brand loyal. There is no differentiation and you will never increase your market share. You have to do stuff different to attract buyers, and marketing it is how you tell them you are better or different, even if you really aren't.

Chaincasse vs BD is absolutely no different than 15" vs 16" tracks - no tangible performance advantage. Sure they can tell you that the rotating mass of a BD is less and they measured a 2% decrease in inertial force from the measurements in the lab blah blah, but none of that transfers to something anyone is capable of feeling on the hill. Its marketing.

And before any of you yellow undies crowd start saying "but but but floatation" and blah blah blah about the 16" wide comment, you probably haven't have done the math and based on track contact to snow on any given angle (and even less measurable as the angle increases and contact area decreases), there is not enough of a measurable performance increase to notice, unless of course you only ride with your track flat against the snow and with perfect weight distribution to both rails and sides of the track, 100% of the time. Its marketing guys.

the new sleds are so good we have to argue about the small stuff now.......way she goes.

jcjc1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How many guys tie their boots and how many run the BOA system? Will you notice the difference? For sure once you make the upgrade it is very difficult to go back. To me it is similar. All about what you find valuable. It's about the total experience, if maintaining your ride is part of the experience then you might find value. If you drop it off at the dealer for service and just ride it, you may never know.
running a belt drive has nothing to do with whether or not i do my own maintenance which i do and enjoy.
i don't run a belt drive because there's no convincing argument to use one.
i agree with your statement that it's all about what you find valuable but that's a subjective concept and not how these things are marketed. they're marketed mainly as a tangible performance increase which is logical because chain drives are proven so some other angle must be used to sell them. problem is (at least for me) is that way too many people who have tried them couldn't tell a difference.

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I love my tki on my t3 - no more chaincase oil - 4000kms on the belt - so quick to tear the secondary out - I only blew the belt because the back of the top sprocket mushed out and took out the bearing and jackshaft and both belts - quick $800 f*kin 's - new sprocket is at the machine shop now getting a stainless steel insert onto the back of the top sprocket
I've gone through 4 belts in 2000km. Not real impressed with the aftermarket kit.

Factory, I may be interested.

kingcat162

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've gone through 4 belts in 2000km. Not real impressed with the aftermarket kit.

Factory, I may be interested.
That's just a bad setup imo - my tki on xm has been great for 6000kms - only thing I found was the top sprockets were mushing out on the backside of the sprocket and causing multiple issues - got a stainless ring pressed into the new top sprocket - tried posting a pic but it won't let me - proper belt tension is crucial cuz the belt gets tighter after a rip - I helped a guy winch his sled onto his sled deck at eagles that had a C3 kit on his gen4 he had nothin but issues with it I guess

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's just a bad setup imo - my tki on xm has been great for 6000kms - only thing I found was the top sprockets were mushing out on the backside of the sprocket and causing multiple issues - got a stainless ring pressed into the new top sprocket - tried posting a pic but it won't let me - proper belt tension is crucial cuz the belt gets tighter after a rip - I helped a guy winch his sled onto his sled deck at eagles that had a C3 kit on his gen4 he had nothin but issues with it I guess

There’s no way you’ve ridden 6000km with the amount of time your sled is broken or hanging from a helicopter. That’s all miles back and forth from your truck to the eagles cabin and back for parts

kingcat162

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There’s no way you’ve ridden 6000km with the amount of time your sled is broken or hanging from a helicopter. That’s all miles back and forth from your truck to the eagles cabin and back for parts
Just under 7000kms on the chassis - I did 3 days at eagles at the end of January put on almost 600kms on er - I break it and fix it and repeat - off to tumbler ridge next week - only 1 chopper ride so far knock-on wood - anyone riding an xm loves riding with me because I have parts in the truck and I do tra roller replacement on the hill not at the hotel room computer desk

Last edited:

Couch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You're not running them cuz doo doesn't offer them! If doo offered it you guys would be claiming that it was the best set up ever! As for well designed, really don't hear of many issues and they've been out since 2013. ...more than long enough for issues to present . . don't know of any aftermarket chaincase "upgrades" being offered

sledneck__11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Other then a bit of weight savings i really cant see how much dif the belt drive would perform, are losses that much more in a chain compared to belt? I cant see it i look for alot of things on a sled and i wouldnt loose sleep over belt/chain either way.

Top Bottom