G5 Quick Change Axle

greenthumb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not an accessory, but redesigned drive shaft. Appears to be that there is a small internally splined coupler that remains in the case that carries the gear/bearing/seal. They talk about it briefly in the technical video.

Screenshot (10).png

Last edited:

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Instead of staying home and waiting for the right snow conditions like we do now

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’m wondering if I should of ordered a 175, I have a 165 track, All I would need is the 165 rails.

gedakbx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One brg is not enough support on the collar when it will have the chain and sprocket applying force from one direction and the track applying force in a different direction. This will lead to spline wear binding and premature bearing life for the bottom Bearing Great for future parts sales though.

greenthumb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Needs one more bearing to support the cover side of that coupler

I’m not following that bearing is the same as before behind the gear

The old design made the whole driveshaft one rigid assembly.
The the new design relies on tight tolerances of the internal splines to keep the gear/chain aligned. The gear is cantilevered (so to speak) over chain case bearing. With just a single row bearing, any slop in the coupler will allow for some deflection.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kinda makes u wonder what they feel the life span of the new lighter track is . I feel when u change a track its a good time for a chain or a inspection.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Humm, interesting comments.

What was wrong with the bearing design that was In there before, to doubt the new design now?
All this is now is a driveshaft sleeve. The splines that the gear is on, has not given trouble, so how/why are people thinking a sleeve over a spline give trouble. If their were old driveshaft and gear issues in the past I can see the concerns, but their was none.

It’s a pretty neat idea, combining the new design of the rear suspension removal, but I have been thinking if this track is more durable, than why the need for a quick rear suspension removal and driveshaft.

gedakbx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Neat idea for sure just 2 splines now to wear and become loose that’s all. Maybe be a none issue guess we will see

tundra twin track

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The old design made the whole driveshaft one rigid assembly.
The the new design relies on tight tolerances of the internal splines to keep the gear/chain aligned. The gear is cantilevered (so to speak) over chain case bearing. With just a single row bearing, any slop in the coupler will allow for some deflection.
Thanks for Image greenthumb,agree on old style being Ridgid.I’ve seen bulkhead swell from a impact and always removed speedometer drive and threaded that end of the Axle to keep Axle Captive End Wise on all the custom builds back in the day.

Rn4

Reaction score
not sure about this set up. Kinda leaning towards it’ll be one more failure point for something to come loose/strip out, or seize and be a one piece anyway. Time will tell though

Top Bottom