Fox Creek

omullinger

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am looking at maybe getting a job up in Fox Creek and was wondering from anyone who lives/lived there what you thought about it. Pros and Cons.

Thanks

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I spent a lot of time working at different sites up there. Living out of Motels. I mean no offense to those that do live there but I found it to be a dirty little town. Could chew on the diesel fumes in the winter. It seemed like most up there were either work aholics or alcoholics.

How ever if your an out doorsey person, it is a huge playground.

I like to visit it, but its not my pick to live there, Just my opinion.

buckie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I spent a lot of time working at different sites up there. Living out of Motels. I mean no offense to those that do live there but I found it to be a dirty little town. Could chew on the diesel fumes in the winter. It seemed like most up there were either work aholics or alcoholics.

How ever if your an out doorsey person, it is a huge playground.

I like to visit it, but its not my pick to live there, Just my opinion.

Very well said and agreed 100 percent

Nytroman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My take on it is if your single looking for cash its an option to make some good cash, lots of work and available hrs.
Moving the family up there if its not their choice will line you back up single so you can make cash again, but only half of it this time.
Not sure where you live so maybe your stepping up?

• Recommends
Reactions: RXN

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just over 2 hours to Edmonton. Not much for your girlfriend there. might not be bad to try for a bit if you have relates in the area. Easy place to get into the work/drink/work/drugs cycle though.

omullinger

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My take on it is if your single looking for cash its an option to make some good cash, lots of work and available hrs.
Moving the family up there if its not their choice will line you back up single so you can make cash again, but only half of it this time.
Not sure where you live so maybe your stepping up?

Sylvan Lake

Just over 2 hours to Edmonton. Not much for your girlfriend there. might not be bad to try for a bit if you have relates in the area. Easy place to get into the work/drink/work/drugs cycle though.

She is a welder not wanting to do the camp thing

Nytroman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
skid a campshack into the sylvan business park for a year first to get her used to it.:d If your both going on the premis to make some cash and not for the lifestyle then it may work. Sorry I am a north of whitecourt hater from the work I do there.:rant:

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am looking at maybe getting a job up in Fox Creek and was wondering from anyone who lives/lived there what you thought about it. Pros and Cons.

Thanks
I lived there for about 1.5 years, good place to be from I guess.
I got the hell out of there when my girlfriend moved in with me. It was ok when I was single living there, not alot to do tho, dirty muddy town with alot of transiants living there. Im not try to take anything away from the permanant residants there, they are some of the nicest people you'll have for neighbours but its definately a oil town.
If yah want a piece of advice, move to Whitecourt, some of the best sledding trails around, you can leave town on your sled to get to the trails, WCT has a really nice rec center, pool, junior hockey team, canadian tire, ETC.
Id have to be offered a HUGE raise in pay to consider moving back there.

Last edited:

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IMO there are better choices than FC,.. but I guess it's where the work is. Lots of work here in GP, just finding some place to live is the hard parts,.. Voted 2nd richest city in Canada per Capita.

RMK Junky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Fox Creek is an oilfield town. No different than Zama other than a quicker drive to West Edmonton Mall. Asians have bought up a lot of the town on the service end of it. By this I mean restaurants and hotels. No money is being revolved back into their business and its starting to show. Becoming a dirty and seedy town. It's expanding some due to the increase in oilfield activity. Athabasca Oilsands, Trilogy, and Shell are doing work there now. Very busy place ... but seasonal. If this is the life style you are after by all means help yourself. But there are better places to plant your roots. AWTY has voiced about Grande Prairie. I've lived in the area since 1980. Before that ... Rainbow Lake, but that's another story. My wife and our children are born and raised here. It's definitely worth checking out. Anybody and everybody is hiring good quality people :twocents:

Last edited:
  • Recommends
Reactions: RXN
Top Bottom