For Side Winder rider's

Xmrider163

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That’s Thunder Products clutching arms/weights with primary and secondary spring.

Xmrider163

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
0434cfd266eb8e3e2da0880a78679b64.jpg

Xmrider163

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That’s halfway up where stock 2 stroke fun ends and the Sidewinder continues up n over but the last 100’ is pretty steep.

06yamahaapex

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If your MTX has the .85g aluminum rivet it is tuned for 8,000ft up to 10,000ft, IMO 10,000ft+. I have looked at 3 MTX non had the aluminum .85g rivet, they all had the steel 3.1g. BUT i'm not saying non came without the .85g.
If your's did, it is absolutely no good for most all riding around BC. In other words it is not clutched properly.
You need to replace the .85g with the 4.5g.
The .85g is way too light and your RPMs will run stupid high for our elevation.

your btx has different weights than the mtx as well.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Little late to the party was working and heading home tomorrow to get some riding in and get a 2nd Baseline for RPM and track speeds my EVO stage 4 is pulling.

I did 5-6 longer steeper pulls with 2-3’ snow in a Weinbergers Bowl @ Renshaw and my 162” was pulling consistent 61-63mph. I can tell you the sled hauls.

If mine pulls that with my 250 setup, i will be very disappointed. I would expect much closer to 70mph, my Nytro pulled 70mph on pretty much most anything. Track speed that is.
A stock tuned SW from my experience should pull 60mph with no issues all day long, including the 174. JMO

Xmrider163

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If mine pulls that with my 250 setup, i will be very disappointed. I would expect much closer to 70mph, my Nytro pulled 70mph on pretty much most anything. Track speed that is.
A stock tuned SW from my experience should pull 60mph with no issues all day long, including the 174. JMO

To be honest this is my first turbo sled and I’m sure there is definitely room for improvement clutching wise, but the sled feels good and when I did do the few runs checking speed it definitely wasn’t out of speed to gain I ran out of hill to climb. Hoping days off Revy I’ll get some pulls in and see if it’s similar.

The EVO stage 4 is also only 258HP @ sea level not at 6-7000ft.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

All good info except if you go back on this thread i mention the tuning is for 2017 models and some may apply to 2018.
We have not tuned any 18's. But after saying that, the same principle applies, i could easily tell you the clutching is too light on the 18 just by looking at the specification, i don't even have to ride it. I know this cause i have done this for too long.
If your unit is an 18 you would not be able to use any of the info i put out on the gearing. 2017 only.

So i looked at the chart, i should of but saw 2018.
The steel rivet is used as i said from 2500-8,000ft. Aluminum 8-10,000ft same as the 17. You are reading the info wrong, if you have the aluminum rivet at the tip, 2017 or 2018 you are clutched for 8-10,000ft...too high of elevation.

Last edited:

E-Zmoke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’m going to chime in on this one. I’ve been pretty quiet lately as i have been very busy working and slaying the white gold! I don’t doubt one bit Lund is hitting 67MPH track speeds especially if he listened to my recommendations on what I recommended to run with his 174” I’m really close to holding 60MPH Track Speeds myself on my setup this year. I would call it a good 58MPH on average on most days and the light fluffy stuff I have been hitting 60MPH so I’m happy. Loading the tip is key as stated earlier. My winder just keeps pulling harder and harder the more I throw at it! I’m not going to give away my secrets either unless you come see me but loading the engine is key is all I will say. You would be surprised with how much weight this sled will pull, and what can be obtained. I’m basically stock with a shorty custom intake, pipe, and some secret clutching

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The part number for the weights are different ��

Yes they use a different part number because they have a different combination of rivet on them. The different rivet is the tip one, the two other, base and middle rivets are the same.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’m going to chime in on this one. I’ve been pretty quiet lately as i have been very busy working and slaying the white gold! I don’t doubt one bit Lund is hitting 67MPH track speeds especially if he listened to my recommendations on what I recommended to run with his 174” I’m really close to holding 60MPH Track Speeds myself on my setup this year. I would call it a good 58MPH on average on most days and the light fluffy stuff I have been hitting 60MPH so I’m happy. Loading the tip is key as stated earlier. My winder just keeps pulling harder and harder the more I throw at it! I’m not going to give away my secrets either unless you come see me but loading the engine is key is all I will say. You would be surprised with how much weight this sled will pull, and what can be obtained. I’m basically stock with a shorty custom intake, pipe, and some secret clutching

At the beginning of the thread i told these guys not to get hung up on the 67mph track speed as condition could had contributed and further testing is needed for an average but they didn't anyhow LOL
Further testing i will post but it is very positive the results with the current setup, which will be changed again as things improve. It will be 60++mph on anything guaranteed. I'm willing to bet these sled's are capable to pull between 60 to 65mph on climbs all day long with the proper setup.
E-Zmoke 67mph was true.
Did you get your BTX finished?

BTW, the only difference of opinions we had was the gear ratio's, you believe the BTX ratio would work better 21/41. I didn't think so and went with the MTX oem ratio instead and figured i'ed let you try the BTX ratio, LOL. Was going to call you and find out how it was working out. I think the MTX ratio can be improved upon but not with BTX 21/41, its too tall imo. I'm hoping you tried it. I do have a different combo that i will be installing.

We need to get these sleds together on one of your days off

Last edited:

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Heading out today and will be running some pulls. Will be at Eagles if anyone wants to see it.
Will be out the next 3 days riding and running some tuning tests.
I will post results.

06yamahaapex

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes they use a different part number because they have a different combination of rivet on them. The different rivet is the tip one, the two other, base and middle rivets are the same.
Nope, your're wrong. The weights come empty....the btx's have different weights. BTX has 8LR-00 for a base weight and the MTX has the 8KC-00.

E-Zmoke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
At the beginning of the thread i told these guys not to get hung up on the 67mph track speed as condition could had contributed and further testing is needed for an average but they did anyhow LOL
Further testing i will post but it is very positive the results with the current setup, which will be changed again as things improve. It will be 60++mph on anything guaranteed. I'm willing to bet these sled's are capable to pull between 60 to 65mph on climbs all day long with the proper setup.
E-Zmoke 67mph was true.
Did you get your BTX finished?

BTW, the only difference of opinions we had was the gear ratio's, you believe the BTX ratio would work better 21/41. I didn't think so and went with the MTX oem ratio instead and figured i'ed let you try the BTX ratio, LOL. Was going to call you and find out how it was working out. I think the MTX ratio can be improved upon but not with BTX 21/41, its too tall imo. I'm hoping you tried it. I do have a different combo that i will be installing.

We need to get these sleds together on one of your days off

Not disagreeing with you Lund I was saying YES I believe 67MPH is achievable as I myself am seeing 60MPH track speeds. I would love to get out for ride together. I’m not sure what or why my sled keeps improving and pulling more and more weight but I’m not complaining. I’m at the point now where my base weight loaded in all holes is not enough weight so will be adding a heavier base weight again and track speeds continue to keep improving. This sled flat out rips!!
d34002aa1304c58d0b50a12053c61e8f.jpg

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry for posting so late but i did say i would, i will make this quick gotta hit the hay for tomorrow.

Ok, ran two weight test today with surprising results.
To lay the foundation condition were deep like last week but snow was much more dense plus the hill we used was steeper.

First test was done with the same setup as last week, no changes and did 3 pulls, pretty much back to back, new line every time.
Pull one, got 57mph.
Pull two, got 62mph.
Pull three, got 62mph and blimp'ed 63mph but went back to 62mph.
I don't really know why the first pull was what it was, other then i think the belt had cooled off too much while we assessed the slop for avy risk.

We headed back to the Eagles cabin for lunch and where i did a quick weight change for kicks. I had a set of stock MTX weights borrowed from another build in progress.
Same hill pull's three times.
One of the pull's i saw 56mph, other two pull's were below 55mph, rpm's were between 8900-9000.

Needless to say the MTX weights are out now and i returned to the other weights.
I will put up more track speed results if things change but i think i'm going to reassess the weights. Going to pickup a new set of weights and install hardware into the holes to increase the total tip weight. I'm satisfied with the track speed but imo the motor can still be loaded as i'm seeing numbers slightly over 8800rpms. I want to weigh it up to the point that its just under 8800. I suspect it will yield another one or two mph....maybe... with stock tuning.

Kibbels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Excellent feedback... be safe out there chit is sliding everywhere bud.

62-63 mph track speed with virtually stock sled... anyone that chimes and says not stock because of pipe, CAI and 174 ummm .. lol

Top Bottom