fifth wheel hitch question

pwdrhnd

Reaction score
I have a reese signature series with 4 way tilt and the puck mounting system, no slide but I haven't needed it yet. No rails in the bed so it is nice to use the box when the hitch is out. If you get one with the rails in the box and use your truck to haul anything the rails will be full of dirt and rocks every time you go tp put the hitch in.

kellyandhislimo

RIP - March 16, 2023
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I bought a big friggin Reese hitch. It slides, and has a 4 way pivit. she's a heavy duty biotch so should be good to go and I had it all intstalled at the hitch wearhouse so its put in properly cause knowing me I would have screwed something up.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Two way hitch is fine as long as you're camping in established campgrounds, but if you're heading out onto crown land you may end up spending a few nights still attached to your truck. As far as hitting the box rails with a four way hitch; raise your hitch up a notch or two, that's why the height is adjustable.

i don't camp in campgrounds haven't for 4 years..... yes its height adjustable but thats for making the trailer level.... not for not touching.... plus if ur truck has bigger tires , small lift u have to have both on the min settings for level...

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i don't camp in campgrounds haven't for 4 years..... yes its height adjustable but thats for making the trailer level.... not for not touching.... plus if ur truck has bigger tires , small lift u have to have both on the min settings for level...

shheeet tex your always bitchin about something, what will the 2 way do to your frame if on uneven ground, something has to give?
i went the same as kelly, no complaints at all, except trailer is to long sometimes, drags the rear when going to some sites.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thats what the truck springs are for...... plus the 2 way has some room for up and down and also the pin can tip inside the hitch too...

snoboy

Reaction score
Whatever works for you:beer:.
I started with a two way hitch, but the spots I camp have limited "level" spots and it didn't take much with a 38' trailer to be twisted enough that I couldn't unhook. I'm likely over cautious, but I just didn't feel good putting that much stress on everything. Went to a 4 way, lifted it a little to clear the box and haven't had any worries since. Like Imdoo'n said, I more have to watch the license plate and rear jacks.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Whatever works for you:beer:.
I started with a two way hitch, but the spots I camp have limited "level" spots and it didn't take much with a 38' trailer to be twisted enough that I couldn't unhook. I'm likely over cautious, but I just didn't feel good putting that much stress on everything. Went to a 4 way, lifted it a little to clear the box and haven't had any worries since. Like Imdoo'n said, I more have to watch the license plate and rear jacks.

mine is also a long box truck.... and yes the rear jacks , bumper , rear trailer wiring can drag....

but what does that have to do with the truck hitch? thats the trailer and the hitch has nothing to do with the rear of the trailer.............?????????
thats just part of having a long trailer

snoboy

Reaction score
Crew cab, long box, dually 4x4 with air bags so the rear sits about 1-3/-2" higher than stock under load, 38' toy hauler.

It affects the rear of the trailer because when you raise the front, it drops the back. How much probably depends on where the wheels on the trailer are located and tandem vs triple, mine are tandem and pretty centered so it's almost a direct relationship.

If I lowered the hitch to level the trailer I'd have more clearance in the rear, but would be closer to the box rails in the front. Just found that twisting was more a problem for me than dragging the rear since giving myself an extra couple of inches clearance up front made way more of a difference in where I could comfortably go than the little bit it drops the back - like you said, the rear is just something to watch for with a long trailer.

I dunno, you're just the first person in a lifetime of camping off the beaten path that I've seen argue against a 4 way hitch. Like I said, though, whatever works for you.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Crew cab, long box, dually 4x4 with air bags so the rear sits about 1-3/-2" higher than stock under load, 38' toy hauler.

It affects the rear of the trailer because when you raise the front, it drops the back. How much probably depends on where the wheels on the trailer are located and tandem vs triple, mine are tandem and pretty centered so it's almost a direct relationship.

If I lowered the hitch to level the trailer I'd have more clearance in the rear, but would be closer to the box rails in the front. Just found that twisting was more a problem for me than dragging the rear since giving myself an extra couple of inches clearance up front made way more of a difference in where I could comfortably go than the little bit it drops the back - like you said, the rear is just something to watch for with a long trailer.

I dunno, you're just the first person in a lifetime of camping off the beaten path that I've seen argue against a 4 way hitch. Like I said, though, whatever works for you.

huh like i said thats my only beef with one... i can see the other goods tho....

Top Bottom