fifth wheel hitch question

kellyandhislimo

RIP - March 16, 2023
Reaction score
Ok so we are in the process of buying a new fifth wheel and never owning a fifth wheel I need to get a hitch put into my truck. My question is do I need a 4 way hitch or can I go with a 2 way? Do I need one that pivits side to side and front to back or can I just go with one that only pivits back and forth? What's the difference besides the odvious, would it hurt something over time if I only had the 2 way, would it put to much stress on the trailer?

kellyandhislimo

RIP - March 16, 2023
Reaction score
maybe I should add, its a 36' ceder creek and it weighs somewhere around that 12500lbs mark. not sure if it makes a difference weather its a small one or a big one.

armymags1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No it won't hurt anything but sometimes it can be really hard to hook up if your truck is at a different angle than the trailer is sometimes you have to put blocks under you truck tires to get closer to the same angle as trailer

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In my opinion get a B@W turnover ball (gooseneck hitch) and a companion fifth wheel adapter. No rails in bed and fantastic engineering. Expensive but good things cost money. Google it its cool. 2 way hitches are a pain can be tough to hook up and drop on a sidehill.

zal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok so we are in the process of buying a new fifth wheel and never owning a fifth wheel I need to get a hitch put into my truck. My question is do I need a 4 way hitch or can I go with a 2 way? Do I need one that pivits side to side and front to back or can I just go with one that only pivits back and forth? What's the difference besides the odvious, would it hurt something over time if I only had the 2 way, would it put to much stress on the trailer?

The double pivot (4 way) is nice for when you are not level to unhook, just like what armymags1 said. Being that your weighing that much, I would recommend buying the double pivot hitch. It will save you a lot of grief in the long run.

The ones we sell and install are made by DSP in Edmonton. Check them out, theres many businesses selling them. www.dsphitches.com.

Hope this helps.

08summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
X2 on the DSP...The double pivot works good when hooking up or unhooking on unlevel ground and they are priced pretty reasonable.

puddle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As previously mentioned, if you are camping out west or anywhere other than paved roads and public campgrounds, I highly recommended the best 5th wheel hitch you can afford. The more pivots/slides the better. If you only use the 5th wheel on highway use/paved roads, then you can get away with the less expensive hitches.

armymags1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes Reese makes a good hitch used one a couple years ago as long as it's a dual pivoting hitch you should be good

kellyandhislimo

RIP - March 16, 2023
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info there guys, I never took into consideration of unhooking/hooking up on uneven ground. think my mind is made up. Now what do I look for when buying a used one? new ones are friggin expensive.

Klondike Mike

Reaction score
Is your truck a long box or short box? If it's a long box no problem but if you have a short box then is your trailer a neweer model with tapered corners to be pulled with a shortbox. If you have a short box and square front conrers then you should be looking at one of the sliding hitches so that the hitch can be slid back while trying to manouver in a campground.

aaron_m

Reaction score
Would agree with a comment above. You are spending big jack on a RV, then cheap out on the hitch? kinda important. Sample size of me, have the DSP, and have had zero issues

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey kelly... all i have is a 2 way one and i have never had 1 problem hooking or un hooking..... the one thing i don't like about the 4 ways if your trying to get into or out of a uneven road-spot that the trailer-truck box top has issues with hitting..... mine just barely touches sometimes with the 2 way so i could just imagine with a 4 way....

kellyandhislimo

RIP - March 16, 2023
Reaction score
thats a really good point there tex, I'll have to take that into consideration as well. I'm putting it in a short box but the trailer is well built for it and I don't think I will have any problems with doing so. I'm pretty sure I will be getting one that slides but as far as 4way or 2 way goes i'm not convinced yet that 4 way is the way to go.

snoboy

Reaction score
Two way hitch is fine as long as you're camping in established campgrounds, but if you're heading out onto crown land you may end up spending a few nights still attached to your truck. As far as hitting the box rails with a four way hitch; raise your hitch up a notch or two, that's why the height is adjustable.

kellyandhislimo

RIP - March 16, 2023
Reaction score
Two way hitch is fine as long as you're camping in established campgrounds, but if you're heading out onto crown land you may end up spending a few nights still attached to your truck. As far as hitting the box rails with a four way hitch; raise your hitch up a notch or two, that's why the height is adjustable.

this fifth wheel is huge there isn't many spots on crown land that i will be able to get into anyway. I've spent enough money on this trailer that I can't see myself draggin it down some crappy road to the middle of nowhere to camp. Besides my wife is picky and I imagine we will be mostly staying at established sites anyway.

muzbomb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, just wondering if it is possible or if anyone has a slip tank in the back of the box with a fifth wheel?? I have a checker plated aluminum L shaped slip tank it sits level with the box. Just wondering if it is possible to have the slip tank in and still have a fifth wheel hitch in and tow a trailer??

growly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd say if your buying a 5th wheel from an established stealership,have them include the hitch and install.Can't pull it off the lot with no hitch.

growly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, just wondering if it is possible or if anyone has a slip tank in the back of the box with a fifth wheel?? I have a checker plated aluminum L shaped slip tank it sits level with the box. Just wondering if it is possible to have the slip tank in and still have a fifth wheel hitch in and tow a trailer??

Yup, my dad has one.

kellyandhislimo

RIP - March 16, 2023
Reaction score
I'd say if your buying a 5th wheel from an established stealership,have them include the hitch and install.Can't pull it off the lot with no hitch.

Nope buying it privately. The guy said he will sell me his hitch but his price on the hitch is a little steep compared to some that I have already looked at. I can get a new one installed in red deer for around $900. Not sure what I'm gonna do. Not in a big hurry yet I'm gonna use my brothers truck to get it home then I will have another week to figure chit out and buy the one I want.

Top Bottom