Fiat V8 hemi is gonzo?

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Unfortunate, but not sure I'll miss them. We had 5 2500's with the 5.7 Hemi in the fleet at work, 3 of the 5 had lifter rollers fail taking out the cams.

The famous Hemi Tick.
From what I have read it's idle time that kills the 5.7l. Not enough oil delivery

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wonder why they are still not onboard with doing a 10 speed like ford and gm?

Costs money, lots of money. The 10 speed longitudinal and 9 speed transverse transmissions were jointly developed by Ford and GM in effort to split the cost of development. Now of course they each build them in their own factories with some differences between them and run their own programming and shifting logic, but the fundamental designs are the same.

It could also be argued that the new boosted motors such as the Hurricane negate the need for the additional 2 gear ratios. Take the EcoBoost for example, while it works good with the 10 speed, it doesn't need all those ratios as it has such a broad power band. Driving a 5.0 with the 10 speed is pretty wicked though, it does a really good job at keeping the engine in it's powerband.

FanaticalKilla

Reaction score
Been awhile since I owned a Cummins, what failures have been happening with the new block?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They dropped 120lbs off the block. Main bearing caps are flexing and moving around. Pulling threads in main bearing cap thread holes. They are flexing into an egg shape and wearing into the block.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They dropped 120lbs off the block. Main bearing caps are flexing and moving around. Pulling threads in main bearing cap thread holes. They are flexing into an egg shape and wearing into the block.

Cool, is that on the HO or the standard HP engine?

BILTIT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

This article states 60lbs lighter. The hydraulic lifters is the big change for less noise from the engine.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All 2019+ Cummins went to this new block in the Rams.

Yep, you bet. I had heard of lots of issues with the HO and wondered if that issue was specific to that engine than the standard power Engine.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My friend had the 6.4 Hemi,,, not bad for power in his 3/4 ton,,, he said it was a hog on fuel if yha had too push a head-wind with trailer... lol...

Everything burns fuel in those conditions...

We've seen a few trucks on Kijiji at the 400+ k mark running them hard...

They'd be pretty tired at that point...

Little lone the tranny and front ball joints...

Other then that there bombs !!!

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
back in 2014-2016 i changed my fleet out to the dodge workman 1500 with the hemi. At that time it was about 12 trucks, Since then those trucks have damn near bankrupt a guy. Every single one of them gets a cam every 150k like clockwork to the tune of 7000-11000$. that's if you catch it in time, the last one so much metal went through the engine it ended up taking out a piston so im currently putting an engine in that one. By far the worst fleet truck ever built and i am close to having them all replaced, down to the last 3. The motor cant idle, if it does the top of the engine Cam/lifters are not getting any oil whatsoever. So being that our trucks can idle 8-12 hours a day in the winter this was quite possibly the worst engine for us. If you have a hemi and its ticking.......make sure you've got 7-10k in your pocket to fix it because the damage is already done once you start hearing that tick, She's metal on metal. Good riddance to that motor.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
MDS or no MDS, they still fail. Our 2500's don't have MDS. In all 3 cases the roller on the lifter seized, wore a flat spot in the roller and wore the lobe off the camshaft.

I have had 2 hemi's for personal vehicles and both have been great,,, so what ever. Shitty luck for you/

Top Bottom