FALLOUT: Avalanche-Turbo March 13,2010

bobloblaw670

Reaction score
I have deleted my posts.
At least their not pointing fingers like so many of you are.

I was not pointing any fingers...just quoting an article in a national news paper that raised my eyebrows.
In my veiw of this whole tragic ordeal, the media(as usual) is blowing things way out of porportion and the blame game is on.

I'm obviously concerned about the quote I read in the National Post as it appears to be an untruthful statement. Just looking for an explaination! Was someone mis-quoted by a reporter?

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was not pointing any fingers...just quoting an article in a national news paper that raised my eyebrows.
In my veiw of this whole tragic ordeal, the media(as usual) is blowing things way out of porportion and the blame game is on.

I'm obviously concerned about the quote I read in the National Post as it appears to be an untruthful statement. Just looking for an explaination! Was someone mis-quoted by a reporter?

I would say taken out of context is the term. The words may have been spoken, but there were sentences and words before and after that were not printed. Very typical of the media.

bobloblaw670

Reaction score

All the more reason to be careful what you say to the media........

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i'm sure to get roasted for this.......

From the globe & mail

"the local snowmobile revelstoke society distanced itself from the big iron shootout yesterday, calling it "renegade" and "underground."

"i don't know when they're coming. I don't know anything about it," said angela threatful, executive director of the society. "i don't know who the organizers are."

interesting and somewhat misleading statement. Btw, what happened to all the posts from "srs" or "powder puff" on this board leading up to the days prior to the event? The posts reffering to the increase in price of trail passes and the policy regarding maximum capacity for the days of said event. I can understand the club distancing themselves from this fiasco in regards to liability issues, but to make untruthful statements to the media cause me some concern.

dave's not here man.

teamti

Reaction score
Reposted from snowest because it mirrors my thoughts Revy avalanche - Page 12 - SnoWest Forum

I have a lot of empathy & sadness for those that have passed & those that are left behind, I hope their families can move on with the rest of their lives in a positive manner.

On the other hand I am blown away & disgusted by the amount of denial in our community about what happened here. Very few want to admit the amount of negligence that occurred. It think it's shameful & is a disservice to the dead AND more important to those that have survived that people want to dent the reality which is... AN OUTRAGEOUS AMOUNT OF RULES WERE BROKEN HERE. By the riders, by the spectators, but the guy who cut above another rider and on & on... All I see here is poor decision making that needs to be curbed, and if we as a community keep saying that this was "an act of god" or that nobody is at fault, then we look like the morons that the rest of the world thinks we are right now.

I've spent my last couple days fighting this perception on another site, the constant assumption that we're all stupid 2 stroke fueled lackeys seems to be relatively common amongst other bc travelers. Things like this don't help & if people don't start owning up to how we need to CHANGE instead of all the coombayaa bullsh** we'll keep dying, they'll keep being right & the gov't will just have better fuel to regulate us out of the backcountry.

Flame away, I'm the bad guy here.

Prank Monkey

Reaction score
I have been following this very closely since the first posts started on Saturday.

The only thing proving more tragic than this accident is the aftermath.

Now is the time when we need to unite and start an effective PR campaign instead of bickering. There is so much backstabbing going on. People running, hiding and deflecting blame to shield themselves from potential liability. While I understand this, it is a shame none the less.

bobloblaw670

Reaction score
I have been following this very closely since the first posts started on Saturday.

Now is the time when we need to unite and start an effective PR campaign instead of bickering. There is so much backstabbing going on. People running, hiding and deflecting blame to shield themselves from potential liability. While I understand this, it is a shame none the less.

Well said!!

kbc

Reaction score
I submitted this to both Calgary papers (Sun and Herald)

As an avid backcountry snowmobiler myself I am disappointed in the avenue of coverage that the media took regarding the unfortunate events in Revelstoke. There is no doubt that those involved made an error in judgment; however, it is unfortunate that the media chose to focus its attention on that particular aspect and not towards how great of a job that the rest of the sledders did immediately after the incident. Had it not been for the quick actions and general preparedness of the rest of the snowmobilers involved, many more deaths would have occurred. I am confident that, in general, snowmobilers are far more prepared for these types of circumstances than any other backcountry users, and that was evident last Saturday. Every snowmobiler knows the risks involved, that’s why we carry appropriate safety gear and know how to use it. We are not ignorant individuals with no regard for safety, and do not deserve to be stereotyped or degraded in conversation or in the media. Snowmobilers come from all walks of life, all of which work very hard to enable themselves the opportunity to enjoy Canada’s backcountry with friends and families. Could preventative measures have been engaged? Of course, however that could be said about any tragedy, regardless the activity. It is reassuring to know that safety is in fact on the minds of snowmobilers, and that is why so many lives were saved.

Powder Puff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledrevelstoke.com
I would say taken out of context is the term. The words may have been spoken, but there were sentences and words before and after that were not printed. Very typical of the media.

That is what happened Dave. That is my name and a very misquoted comment made by my son from private conversation that I had with him, one of many over the yrs. that I have expressed my concern. It was suggested that I personally was responsible for the call to cancel the so called event. I didn`t think to warn him about the vultures, when I called to let him know I was o.k..
I have been harassed for the last 2 days and so have many others.
The BCSF and SRS have done over 70 media interviews the last 2 days.

We will find out what caused the accident.
We will find out how the accident could of been prevented.
We will have further restrictions put on our sport to prevent it from happening again.
We will find out if anyone was at fault.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for clearing that up PP. I knew (as anyone who has met you would know) the second I read the "statement" that it was taken out of context. The media practically forces a person to say "no comment" or to hire a lawyer prior to making any statement for fear of being taken out of context.

bobloblaw670

Reaction score
That is what happened Dave. That is my name and a very misquoted comment made by my son from private conversation that I had with him, one of many over the yrs. that I have expressed my concern. It was suggested that I personally was responsible for the call to cancel the so called event. I didn`t think to warn him about the vultures, when I called to let him know I was o.k..
I have been harassed for the last 2 days and so have many others.
The BCSF and SRS have done over 70 media interviews the last 2 days.

We will have further restrictions put on our sport to prevent it from happening again.

Still missing the point here.....It was Angie's quote in the Post that is causing me to question....... Prank Monkey said it best:

Now is the time when we need to unite and start an effective PR campaign instead of bickering. There is so much backstabbing going on. People running, hiding and deflecting blame to shield themselves from potential liability. While I understand this, it is a shame none the less. Deflecting is what seems to be happening here.

Last edited:

treemongrol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

You know what the cause is, it would of happened regardless, cause there is too many people out there that have to go higher then everybody else, blame if your looking to point blame you might as well blame the manufactures, companies that build turbos, aftermarket parts, dealers, tourism industry, sled clubs, everybody that has ever rode in the back country, he!! lets blame hockey parents too. It's funny how Revy club disassociates themselves, but yet they jack up the trail pass prices, for the weekend.

Pinner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's funny how Revy club disassociates themselves, but yet they jack up the trail pass prices, for the weekend.

I would bet the club learned the hard way about how much work would be involved cleaning up after an unsanctioned event like big iron, everybody goes home and the grooming crew cleans up... And I bet they did a good job before they charged extra for a big weekend like that.

kbxsrx

Reaction score

BULL!

The FUNERALS are going to be more tragic!
The only thing that really affects YOU is you may possibly stand a slight chance of different rules and legislation.

Very stupid comeback. Not thought out at all.

Your next idea is fine, but give your head a shake. You try telling that line to the families.

Prank Monkey

Reaction score
The FUNERALS are going to be more tragic!

Last time I checked funerals are aftermath.

The only thing that really affects YOU is you may possibly stand a slight chance of different rules and legislation.

Doesnt just affect "ME" but everyone. Dont single me out. I am not that powerful.

Very stupid comeback. Not thought out at all.

Your next idea is fine, but give your head a shake. You try telling that line to the families.

I am inclined to disagree with you. It was very well thought out. The families are being questioned about the "event" and how they feel about it, how it could have been prevented and what should have/could have been done. So the aftermath of this is terrible for them. They are being asked to answer questions that they should not even be asked at this time of mourning.

However, I would question your lack of thought in your response to me. This is exactly the point I am trying to make. I am not your enemy.

Reaction score
Change needed in sledding community

By MICHAEL PLATT, Calgary Sun

Last Updated: March 15, 2010 6:45pm

The best defence is a good offence.

A total cliche, of course — almost as hackneyed as snowmobile enthusiasts triggering fatal avalanches in the back country, and then lashing out with anyone who questions the safety of their sport.

But going on the offensive is the only way the sledding community can defend itself and its backcountry future, after a disaster so totally predictable and tragically obvious.

Right now, they’re doing themselves no favours.

Instead of promising change, the sledding community is singing its own praises, boasting of a rescue effort that kept the Turbo hill avalanche to just two fatalities, when it might have been so many more.

But that’s like parking on the LRT tracks, and then bragging about the airbags working when the train hits.

This was a group of snowmobilers who ignored the most ominous of avalanche warnings, choosing to hang around under a slope described by wiser sled riders as a “ticking time bomb” and a “death trap.”

And now the survivors are bragging that only two men died, out of the dozens impacted by the slide.

It’s a weak defence, when positive change is needed.

Of course, leaders in the snowmobile fraternity, including the B.C. Snowmobile Federation, are arguing against restrictions on back-country use by sledders.

It’s an uphill battle, given the disdain for avalanche safety, and the need for rescue agencies to spend energy and resources saving silly people — not due to any unforeseen mishap, but because of wilful ignorance.

Given the growing anger over so many predictable funerals, restrictions and regulations seem like inevitable punishment for a sport that thrives on freedom.

B.C. Solicitor General Kash Heed said his ministry is looking at everything from insurance, registration and licensing, to fines and cost-recovery, to deter people who ignore the warnings.

“If they’re not taking (notice of avalanche warnings), we will have to move to a different stage of ensuring we do whatever we can as a province to make sure fatalities do not take place,” said Heed.

That could mean paying for any rescue, or being fined for ignoring posted warnings.

Ultimately, said Heed, it’s about preventing death. If nothing else works, he says the B.C. Government will order a total shutdown of areas where avalanche hazards are too great.

“If we have to implement outright closures when it gets to a particular point, we will have to look at that,” said Heed.

“If people aren’t paying attention to the warning signs that are there, I’m hoping they would if we put a ‘closed’ sign up.”

Of course, all of this is unfair to the vast majority of snowmobile users, who manage to enjoy the backcountry in a safe and responsible manner.

These are the sledders who take avalanche awareness courses, carry the right safety equipment, and religiously check the life-saving forecasts issued by the Canadian Avalanche Centre.

They’re the sensible folk who avoided this year’s Big Iron Shootout, because conditions weren’t safe.

And now, as so many make excuses, they’re the ones with the best hope of saving their sport from the heavy hand of government management.

It’s up to the snowmobile community to show this latest avalanche was more than an exercise in using their beacons and probes.

The lesson here is obvious, and the best defence is showing they’ve learned it — the sledding community needs to go on the offence, promising better education and more common sense.

Lori Zacaruk, owner of ZacsTracs Avalanche Skills Training, says knowledge is the key.

“I don’t want to see this become a call to close the backcountry — I would like to believe that as a community, we’re getting better educated all the time,” said Zacaruk, who attended last year’s Big Iron Shootout.

She says her classes on avalanches are more crowded than ever, and she thinks improved education, combined with easily accessible information, might improve the sport’s safety record and public image.

“I’d like to see the latest avalanche bulletins posted at hotels, and on trailheads,” she said.

“It’s something you should check in the days before you go, and again, right before you go.”

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
whats with all the people jumping down powderpuffs throat ... i have never met her but in reading some of the things other people have said about her she sounds like a great woman ... if the club put up the pice for a daily trail pass that day to cover the costs of cleaning up the aftermath this event would create ..that is there business ..... there is a reason why they want to distant themselves from it ....makes me sick the way some people are getting portrayed in this and yet they had nothing to do with it ....

found

Reaction score
Re: Candles to Remember 2010......

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi everyone!

I am a little disheartened with the following:

Sherry (Smiley) had started this fundraiser Feb 26, now after this latest tragedy here is where the numbers stand.

The fundraiser to date orders submitted is as follows
Total 160 candle sets sold
Over half of them sold are from non snowmobilers.

Sherry has put herself out there to the media, stating that not all snowmobilers are "Bad" "redneck idiots" She was trying to raise a good news story for US SLEDDERS stating that we care........
But yet when trying to raise money for OUR SPORT we can not pull together.... Why is this?

How sad is it going to be when the Media asks for the total numbers raised and She will have to state that We as snowmobilers only raised $1000.00 for the Canadian Avalanche Center.

These are the people that put out our bulletins...... It's sad to watch how this past weekend has turned into yet another verbal boxing match between the sledding community and the media/and non sledders. From where the numbers stand now it’s fair to say the media and non sledders are going to come out on top again.....

Sherry has been defending the sledding community with her heart and soul and is having to put on a smile when talking to the media while they have tried attacking her on our personal tragedies (which was for the most part not aired) and questioned whether snowmobilers actually care about safety.

I am very proud of Sherry for starting this fundraiser as she has finally found a way to turn not only our personal tragedies but the sport as a whole into something positive. This fundraiser is supposed to be for us to REMEMBER ALL OF OUR FALLEN COMRADES and to remind us of how fragile our own lives can be.

Can we please turn this verbal boxing match around? I think and hope our actions can speak louder than our words.

I know sledding is thought of as a "GUY" sport but the intention behind this fundraiser is what really matters. I understand that a lot of the "GUYS" out there are uncomfortable with the idea of buying and or selling candles, but come on we (females) are not going to think any less of you in this case.
We will really think more highly of you for putting yourselves out there for a good cause.

Sledders say that they stick together and support each other, must I remind you that Sherry is trying to do a good thing for all of us and that she is a sledder (born and raised). We have a week and 4 days left of this fundraiser let’s try and bring the numbers up so we can be proud of ourselves as a sledding community and show the non sledders/media that we do care and are trying to make a difference.

Hats off to Sherry for taking a stand and starting this (not saying this as her mother but as a fellow sledder)

A much needed "GOOD NEWS STORY"

Terry Beck

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Re: Candles to Remember 2010......

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi everyone!

I am a little disheartened with the following:

Sherry (Smiley) had started this fundraiser Feb 26, now after this latest tragedy here is where the numbers stand.

The fundraiser to date orders submitted is as follows
Total 160 candle sets sold
Over half of them sold are from non snowmobilers.

Sherry has put herself out there to the media, stating that not all snowmobilers are "Bad" "redneck idiots" She was trying to raise a good news story for US SLEDDERS stating that we care........
But yet when trying to raise money for OUR SPORT we can not pull together.... Why is this?

How sad is it going to be when the Media asks for the total numbers raised and She will have to state that We as snowmobilers only raised $1000.00 for the Canadian Avalanche Center.

These are the people that put out our bulletins...... It's sad to watch how this past weekend has turned into yet another verbal boxing match between the sledding community and the media/and non sledders. From where the numbers stand now it’s fair to say the media and non sledders are going to come out on top again.....

Sherry has been defending the sledding community with her heart and soul and is having to put on a smile when talking to the media while they have tried attacking her on our personal tragedies (which was for the most part not aired) and questioned whether snowmobilers actually care about safety.

I am very proud of Sherry for starting this fundraiser as she has finally found a way to turn not only our personal tragedies but the sport as a whole into something positive. This fundraiser is supposed to be for us to REMEMBER ALL OF OUR FALLEN COMRADES and to remind us of how fragile our own lives can be.

Can we please turn this verbal boxing match around? I think and hope our actions can speak louder than our words.

I know sledding is thought of as a "GUY" sport but the intention behind this fundraiser is what really matters. I understand that a lot of the "GUYS" out there are uncomfortable with the idea of buying and or selling candles, but come on we (females) are not going to think any less of you in this case.
We will really think more highly of you for putting yourselves out there for a good cause.

Sledders say that they stick together and support each other, must I remind you that Sherry is trying to do a good thing for all of us and that she is a sledder (born and raised). We have a week and 4 days left of this fundraiser let’s try and bring the numbers up so we can be proud of ourselves as a sledding community and show the non sledders/media that we do care and are trying to make a difference.

Hats off to Sherry for taking a stand and starting this (not saying this as her mother but as a fellow sledder)

A much needed "GOOD NEWS STORY"

Terry Beck

Could not have said it better myself Terry, I too am quite disappointed in the support we have received. There have been numerous phone calls between myself and Sherry as well as other. Sherry has been working EXTREMELY hard on this and its not easy. I was on location for the interviews on Sunday with Global and CTV, and needless to say there were points I knew she was getting upset but she held it together.

Our website is up now, its a very simple site, and yes this year we do ask for cash and cheques, however we will look into other methods of payment next year.

Whats it going to take to encourage you guys? We have awesome prizes on the floor for top individual sellers, and an even better prize for top group award. Currently from snowandmud, I have received 2 orders, for a total of 7 candle sets, with more in limbo.

Lets step up as a COMMUNITY and do something good, we need to get awareness out there, but without funding its not going to happen.

Proud to be supporting Sherry and everyone in this effort.

Tyler Geddes

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
BULLSEYE!!!!!! Everyone needs to read this!!!!
Change needed in sledding community

By MICHAEL PLATT, Calgary Sun

Last Updated: March 15, 2010 6:45pm

The best defence is a good offence.

A total cliche, of course — almost as hackneyed as snowmobile enthusiasts triggering fatal avalanches in the back country, and then lashing out with anyone who questions the safety of their sport.

But going on the offensive is the only way the sledding community can defend itself and its backcountry future, after a disaster so totally predictable and tragically obvious.

Right now, they’re doing themselves no favours.

Instead of promising change, the sledding community is singing its own praises, boasting of a rescue effort that kept the Turbo hill avalanche to just two fatalities, when it might have been so many more.

But that’s like parking on the LRT tracks, and then bragging about the airbags working when the train hits.

This was a group of snowmobilers who ignored the most ominous of avalanche warnings, choosing to hang around under a slope described by wiser sled riders as a “ticking time bomb” and a “death trap.”

And now the survivors are bragging that only two men died, out of the dozens impacted by the slide.

It’s a weak defence, when positive change is needed.

Of course, leaders in the snowmobile fraternity, including the B.C. Snowmobile Federation, are arguing against restrictions on back-country use by sledders.

It’s an uphill battle, given the disdain for avalanche safety, and the need for rescue agencies to spend energy and resources saving silly people — not due to any unforeseen mishap, but because of wilful ignorance.

Given the growing anger over so many predictable funerals, restrictions and regulations seem like inevitable punishment for a sport that thrives on freedom.

B.C. Solicitor General Kash Heed said his ministry is looking at everything from insurance, registration and licensing, to fines and cost-recovery, to deter people who ignore the warnings.

“If they’re not taking (notice of avalanche warnings), we will have to move to a different stage of ensuring we do whatever we can as a province to make sure fatalities do not take place,” said Heed.

That could mean paying for any rescue, or being fined for ignoring posted warnings.

Ultimately, said Heed, it’s about preventing death. If nothing else works, he says the B.C. Government will order a total shutdown of areas where avalanche hazards are too great.

“If we have to implement outright closures when it gets to a particular point, we will have to look at that,” said Heed.

“If people aren’t paying attention to the warning signs that are there, I’m hoping they would if we put a ‘closed’ sign up.”

Of course, all of this is unfair to the vast majority of snowmobile users, who manage to enjoy the backcountry in a safe and responsible manner.

These are the sledders who take avalanche awareness courses, carry the right safety equipment, and religiously check the life-saving forecasts issued by the Canadian Avalanche Centre.

They’re the sensible folk who avoided this year’s Big Iron Shootout, because conditions weren’t safe.

And now, as so many make excuses, they’re the ones with the best hope of saving their sport from the heavy hand of government management.

It’s up to the snowmobile community to show this latest avalanche was more than an exercise in using their beacons and probes.

The lesson here is obvious, and the best defence is showing they’ve learned it — the sledding community needs to go on the offence, promising better education and more common sense.

Lori Zacaruk, owner of ZacsTracs Avalanche Skills Training, says knowledge is the key.

“I don’t want to see this become a call to close the backcountry — I would like to believe that as a community, we’re getting better educated all the time,” said Zacaruk, who attended last year’s Big Iron Shootout.

She says her classes on avalanches are more crowded than ever, and she thinks improved education, combined with easily accessible information, might improve the sport’s safety record and public image.

“I’d like to see the latest avalanche bulletins posted at hotels, and on trailheads,” she said.

“It’s something you should check in the days before you go, and again, right before you go.”

Top Bottom