FALLOUT: Avalanche-Turbo March 13,2010

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just read Modmans post, not many aircraft are at $1,000/Hr anymore.

A bell 212 (or Bell 205) is about $3,500/Hr.
6 were there, most probably flew 2-3 hrs each = approx $65,000

A Bell 407 is about $2,400/Hr.
3 were there and flew about 2 Hrs each = $28,000

An Astar 350 is about 2,400/Hr.
4 were there, 2 Astars flew ALL the sleds in 2 days, so about $60,000 ( $35,000of that just on Sled removal)

Various other aircraft flew in SAR teams, Dogs etc, from Nakusp, Nelson, Kelowan, so add another $50,000.

The approx total for aircraft is in the area of $250,000

Thanks RP. I haven't used a heli in a few years so obviously my #'s are dated and I was not sure what size they were using. Thanks for the info

Global Edmonton is getting a note asking them to fact check a little more.

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't understand why they didn't contract this job out to a bidder. It's just another stupid financial blunder that a typical government always does. Get the job done in the most inefficient manner....

LOL... If this job had been bid out by the government there likely would have still been sleds up there next winter!! This is the Canadian Government we're talking about here. Nothing happens fast!:p

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
LOL... If this job had been bid out by the government there likely would have still been sleds up there next winter!! This is the Canadian Government we're talking about here. Nothing happens fast!:p

And it would have cost twice as much...and gone over budget...and been subject to a parliamentary revue committee...then ended up stalled in the non-elected senate...............:d

Rescue Pilot

Reaction score
Thanks RP. I haven't used a heli in a few years so obviously my #'s are dated and I was not sure what size they were using. Thanks for the info

Global Edmonton is getting a note asking them to fact check a little more.

No problems, That's why I'm here, to give the Group some insight from this side of the fence.

Keep in mind, my facts and figures are not Official, and I have no inside info.
I was just there on scene, I counted Helicopters, I think I know were they all came from, I know what they should be priced at. I have no idea how many SAR people were there, or what their charges were.
I do know how long it took to fly each sled, and there were about 47 flown.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Biggest pizz-off to me is even after the media has been informed numerous times they still insist on reporting that this incident occoured durring the "Big Iron Shootout" events.....

It may not matter to some but the principal behind it pizzes me off, just goes to show how the media can get on TV and say whatever they wish without accurate facts or fear of reprocussion....:rant::rant::realmad:

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Biggest pizz-off to me is even after the media has been informed numerous times they still insist on reporting that this incident occoured durring the "Big Iron Shootout" events.....

It may not matter to some but the principal behind it pizzes me off, just goes to show how the media can get on TV and say whatever they wish without accurate facts or fear of reprocussion....:rant::rant::realmad:

Yep it is garbage. Never noticed until a while ago how badly the media reports what it wants to, regardless of fact or evidence. Complete joke. I haven't bothered to watch any news in a long time.

Reaction score
The media definitely likes to make up their own facts and juggle stuff around till it fits what they want. They had been at our shop in town for those couple days and took anything we said completely out of context. I got a pile of nasty letters and had soon realized that they reported I said that these events and mountain riding is "sheer stupidity" and such... Kinda doesn't make sense considering I run a modded xp, service and tune mountain sleds, rent x package summits and ride nearly 5 days a week.
So anybody that recalls those reports please know that those aren't the views of myself or Powder Petes.
I do however believe that there were mistakes made but to make a long story short I believe that most riders knew better, but the excitement and competitiveness of the morning and events had got the best of them and honestly if I wasnt dealing with my renters up frisby, I probably would have been in the avy as well.
As for the rescue effort I don't think the cost is all that important, many people were buried and alive today because of the efforts of people involved, search and rescue and heli.
Tragic events are going to happen everywhere around the world, the ocean, sand dunes, forest, mountains, etc. For a slide to wipe out that many people and death toll be so low, wasn't a miracle or prayer, it was from those groups knowing how to communicate for help and proper knowledge of avalanche rescue equipment.

Top Bottom