FALLOUT: Avalanche-Turbo March 13,2010

Sweigh

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here's a direct Link...

Fast forward to about 22:45 for the start of the article.
note: the video would not play in Firefox for me, so use Internet explorer if you have issues

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
$1,000/hr X 10 helicopters = $10,000/hr X 50 hrs each = $500,000.

So 10 helicopters flew for a week straight just removing sleds?

Sweigh

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
$1,000/hr X 10 helicopters = $10,000/hr X 50 hrs each = $500,000.

So 10 helicopters flew for a week straight just removing sleds?

Just guessing, but maybe they billed for lost income as well, as the report did say that they had to turn away heli-ski customers in order to aid in the rescue... Regardless, that's a lot of money.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just guessing, but maybe they billed for lost income as well, as the report did say that they had to turn away heli-ski customers in order to aid in the rescue... Regardless, that's a lot of money.

it must be. im not familiar with revelstoke but im sure a recovery there is only an hours worth. so 500 sleds recovered?

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I feel that the rescue mission should be covered by the governement thats forsure but for the sled recovery the owners of there own sleds should have to pay there share for it. if you blow your motor in the back and need a heli you gotta pay for it. But the rescue mission and the hours for looking for more buried people should be on the government

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Yeah I get that and you bet that's a lot of money. News report stated that the private sector issued a bill for employees lost time, lost revenue, etc etc, and that sled recovery alone was $500,000. Not sure if the news got it right or not then, they might be counting the same #'s twice??

Not saying the chopper pepople didn't do a good job, just trying to understand this. Being able to put some #'s to what it actually costs if you get into a wreck on the hill could lend some substantial weight to making people understand the consequences of their actions and what the bill might be if they have to pay it due to a poor decision.

H2SNOW

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I feel that the rescue mission should be covered by the governement thats forsure but for the sled recovery the owners of there own sleds should have to pay there share for it. if you blow your motor in the back and need a heli you gotta pay for it. But the rescue mission and the hours for looking for more buried people should be on the government

the problem is that they needed to clear any debris including sleds so they could continue searching for possible casualties.

suppose if they were all left at a single staging point and then notify owners as to where and when they could be picked up may have been a cheaper option for them.

then the fricken gorbies would beak off because the so called environmental trash / impact because of the sleds just being left up there.

either way people are gonna bitch anyways ....because they aren't hungry or homeless ..wondering where their next meal is going to come from ...

so they have too much time on their hands to whine and complain :rant:

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They said they guessed 270 people on the mountain, even if they removed 200 sleds, that is $2500 per sled. Seems like someone is getting rich. I do agree, people should of covered removing their own sleds from the mountain. Not to mention, how many people if given the chance would go in and recover their sled and only a few hours work? I can bet right now, at that money the helicopters are laughing at how much $$ they will get.

Rescue Pilot

Reaction score
I heard this $500,000 "recovery" bill and had to post here.

47 Sleds were flown at approx 0.3 Hrs per sled at approx $2,500/Hr works out to about $35,000, NOT $500,000.

Not sure where they got the $500,000 figure from, but it's not correct. Maybe that was for the entire rescue, from start to finish? Who knows? As far as Skiers being cancelled, probably not true either, other than for an early finish to the ski day on Saturday.

The reason I stayed on for Sunday, was that all the other 212's ( and 205's) had to go back skiing, I am not a ski 212, so was available for Boulder.

someone is smearing the facts here ....:mad:

Rescue Pilot

Reaction score
Just read Modmans post, not many aircraft are at $1,000/Hr anymore.

A bell 212 (or Bell 205) is about $3,500/Hr.
6 were there, most probably flew 2-3 hrs each = approx $65,000

A Bell 407 is about $2,400/Hr.
3 were there and flew about 2 Hrs each = $28,000

An Astar 350 is about 2,400/Hr.
4 were there, 2 Astars flew ALL the sleds in 2 days, so about $60,000 ( $35,000of that just on Sled removal)

Various other aircraft flew in SAR teams, Dogs etc, from Nakusp, Nelson, Kelowan, so add another $50,000.

The approx total for aircraft is in the area of $250,000

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't understand why they didn't contract this job out to a bidder. It's just another stupid financial blunder that a typical government always does. Get the job done in the most inefficient manner....

It's not if anyone's life was in danger anymore, so what's the big rush getting the sleds "rescued"?
So why did we need a Bell 212, or 205 there? Because they are in for the cash grab.
Wiegele Did a rescue in Blue river last year and charged something ridiculous like 15 grande.

mudboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Probably in a hurry to get them out so that people did not go and start helping themselves to various parts and stuff.

Rescue Pilot

Reaction score
I don't understand why they didn't contract this job out to a bidder. It's just another stupid financial blunder that a typical government always does. Get the job done in the most inefficient manner....

It's not if anyone's life was in danger anymore, so what's the big rush getting the sleds "rescued"?
So why did we need a Bell 212, or 205 there? Because they are in for the cash grab.
Wiegele Did a rescue in Blue river last year and charged something ridiculous like 15 grande.

CUSO, All of the answers are already here in this thread. The Rescuers required the sleds be moved to continue the search. They had no way of knowing that every one was accounted for, they had to continue the search. can you imagine the fallout, IF they quit searching and then realized that your cousin Vinnie was still missing, I'd bet you'd have gone Ape-Sheite on them for that ???

As MUDBOY mentioned after you, these were very high priced sleds, and who is to say a few parts may go missing if they left them on the hill? Who is to say that if they told the crowd to go back and get their own sleds that they'd take their own, or would they "upgrade" ??

They had to fly the sleds, they had to secure the sleds until the rightful owner showed up. I only ask why they didn't charge $600 per sled when the owners claimed them at the Executive compound?? Most owners would have paid, as that was about the cost of removal, govenment or private.

They never "Bid" the job, because of timing. The search had to be done "NOW".

They probably didn't need 6 Bell Mediums on the initial call-out, BUT, remember, they were initially told up to 200 persons involved. If there was a chance to save even ONE life, the cost is worth it.

The SAR groups only used 1 - 212 the next day ( Sunday). I was busy flying in teams of searchers. I flew about 50 + people in, with Dogs etc, it was the most economic method to move large groups of people.

I'd say, that..
1) the entire search cost 500,000, and
2) the SAR teams did as good a job as they could with the information that they were given.
3) that the sled retrievals only cost 35,000 max.

Top Bottom