FALLOUT: Avalanche-Turbo March 13,2010

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
We are shutting down the original thread and replacing it with this one.

This is a place to put your thoughts about the conditions, the event, snowmobiles etc....however there are some rules.
  1. No swearing.
  2. No personal attacks/slander/threats etc.
  3. If your commenting try and have your facts right.
  4. If you comment then you must accept that others will want to respond to that comment.
  5. Try not to take those comments as a personal attack.
  6. Remember that not all sledders agree/disagree with riding in the mountains when the risk is elevated, please attempt not to put all Alberta and British Columbia sledders into one group.
    • No attacking the Moderators for "doing their job"

Those who deviate from the above list may find their posts deleted or we may have to ban you.

*** Comments made on this thread or site do not reflect the views the Moderators or of snowandmud.com ***

Last edited:

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Re: Big Iron Shootout Avalanche-Turbo March 13,2010

It's going to be an interesting next few weeks as the finger pointing and accusations from the Non Sledding and Greenie community commence. Lets try our best to educate the Stupid, as hard as that is going to be, but we are going to have to make a positive out of this negative somehow and try not to portray ourselves as a bunch of hostiles. My neighbour is an MP and I'm sure he'll have few questions for me over the nest few days. He's a good guy so hopefully he can be a voice for us in the future as he has been in the past.:beer:

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Weve been away and dont know any of the facts other then what the !@#$$ media has reported.
So maybe someone could post what the conditions were like and the Avalanche report info. was building up to the event. What was the event and what happened.

Just askin....

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

just saw the news and the wife of the victim was saying she doesnt want these events cancelled and says snowmobiling is good for people. thought it was really good of her. composed herself very well.

then they were talking about the police investigation so we will see what happens.....theres alot of loopholes so i hope and imagine nothing

Reaction score

It's going to be an interesting next few weeks as the finger pointing and accusations from the Non Sledding and Greenie community commence. Lets try our best to educate the Stupid, as hard as that is going to be, but we are going to have to make a positive out of this negative somehow and try not to portray ourselves as a bunch of hostiles. My neighbour is an MP and I'm sure he'll have few questions for me over the nest few days. He's a good guy so hopefully he can be a voice for us in the future as he has been in the past.:beer:

WOW almost the first one out of the chute and you break the#2 rule.

This is a place to put your thoughts about the conditions, the event, snowmobiles etc....however there are some rules.

1. No swearing.

"Lets try our best to educate the Stupid"

why take that tone?

Alberta Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No longer in Alberta... Moved to Toronto!

1. No swearing.

why take that tone?

Welcome to the forum... :rolleyes:

dirtball08

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Somebody set me straight. Did Shay and Curtis set this avay off or were they at the bottom watching?

BombardierBratz

Reaction score
Wow.... all of that erased. There were some really good posts on the orriginal thread. (a few bad ones but that is to be expected when passions run high). Is there still a link even if it is closed?

teamti

Reaction score
First post here. I use a sled to access terrain for skiing. Just posting factual background links in response to questions asked above by IronHorse Racing

CAC general avalanche conditions report - note it covers a big area

http://www.avalanche.ca/uploads/SPAW/SPAW 2010-03-11.pdf

BC’s southern interior is forecast to receive its first real snow storm in almost eight
weeks. The avalanche danger will be caused by storm snow overloading weak layers in
the upper snowpack,

Pictures of avalanches in March 2010. Note these pictures were before the snowfall in early March. Note the avalanches are on all aspects (Turbo Mtn is a NE aspect)

February - March 2010 : Avalanche Image Galleries : Library : Canadian Avalanche Centre : avalanche.ca

Pictures of Turbo Mountain from bcrmp.ca site. There's a notice there for anyone who was at the site

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
from the time that snow started to fall on the mtn's there have been avalanche's, there will always be avalanche's from here till the end of time. who's fault will they be, or can we blame someone for them. they are there waiting to come down, whether someone is in their path or not. those that enter the tooth of the dragon know the risks, they weigh the consequences and they alone make the choice of being there. if the risk is unacceptable you are free to go somewhere else that is your choice to make and yours alone. you can not blame someone for the choice you make YOU MADE IT. as Vince says " stop living a boring life"

my condolences to the families affected, thank you to those that helped save the lives of those that were buried, and my heart goes out to those lives that have been altered forever by this tragedy. time heals, life will go on, maybe we can all learn a lesson from this tragedy.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score

1. No swearing.

why take that tone?

Welcome to the forum... :rolleyes:

Notice the post number.....he has been here before but I'm not quite sure about the post count.

Here is a quote of his....
Originally Posted by themoresnowthebetter
here was the warning issued:

"Danger Level: Extreme-Widespread natural or human triggered avalanches certain"

"Recommended Action: Travel in avalanche terrain should be avoided to low angle terrain, well away from avalanche path runouts"

Could it be any clearer?

and my reply.....

I didn't get this information and my bulletin only said "High". It appears that even the reportors feel that this is enough to make it "extreme". News being portrayed from people who weren't there nor understood the situation in the backcountry. Friday the Alpine was High and the rest was "considerable". I think the educational process has worked as evidenced by the rescue effort of the sledders. As mentioned earlier, most had beacons, shovels and probes and knew how to use them. Thank you very much for averting a much greater tragedy.

Once again, condolences, sympathies and prayers for the victims, families, and friends. A special word of mention for the coordinated effort of all concerned; RCMP, S&R, bystanders, pilots, medical personnel, and the community of Revelstoke.

is "themoresnowthebetter" trying to stir the pot?

BC Snowghost, I like your post and your thought process.

giddyup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
very sad event to place but i hope people will see how being trained can help limit the deaths, i was not there but from what i hear that everyone moved quickly to find the injured and buried sledders as long as there is snow and mountians people will climb just a very sad event,

ride carefully guys
giddyup

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
People need to start calling the B.C solicator general and call bull$*it on charges being laid in this accident. Just heard about a young skier passing away from injuries after running into a tree on a ski hill. WHY ARE CHARGES NOT BEING CONSIDERED IN THIS SKING ACCIDENT

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
very sad moment indeed. Condolences go out to the family's affected. I am disgusted with people on cbc and globe & mail with all of the comments they Leave such as how the sport should be banned or putting the 'Blame"on someone? Not a time to be pointing the finger at people. Crazy and Ignorant.

Oregongirl

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I pulling together an article that responds to some of the bashing that the media is doing. Can anyone tell me what year this was for BIS? Thanks!

-Susie Rainsberry
Oregon SAWS Representive

PS: The article will not be from SAWS, but from me. I just didn't want ya to think that I'm some media quack surfing for information. I'm a friggin' pissed off sledder!!! From Oregon.

mt.sledder

Reaction score
I've rode in revy when the danger has been high. We've always tried to make good decisions and fortunately we've never had an incident. I'm not saying we've always done the right thing, just that we've never had to suffer the concequences. Yes some poor decisions were made that day and it's too bad that happened. Those same people that made those poor decisions also made a ton of great decisions after things went south and their immediate rescue effort saved a pile of lives. Now we're hearing all the comments from non-snowmobilers that the warnings were high and nobody should have been out there. I would like everyone to answer this honestly. You get up in the morning, it's storming outside so you turn on the radio, the highway report comes on and they are not recomending travel due to icy roads and reduced visibility. How many of you can honestly say you have always left your vehicle parked and never carried on with your plans of traveling? How many of you said to yourself I'll just be careful? How many of you people that are critical of what happened have never rode in a vehicle when travel is not recommended? That guy your meeting on the road isn't any different than the snow up above you, your life depends on what he or it's going to do. On the evening news later on we all hear about the 75 vehicle accidents and 2 deaths on the highways that day. Oh by the way one of the vehicle accidents was a bus load of kids going to a hockey tournament in another town, lucky for them when their bus rolled in the ditch nobody was seriously hurt. Not so fortunate for the mini van 1 mile up the road that had it's occupants killed when the truck they met lost control and hit them head on. How's this any different? People decide to take risks every day. Most the snowmobilers that ride in the mountains prepare themselves for the risks by purchasing, wearing and learning to use as much of the avaliable safety equipment they can afford. As unfortunate as this is, rest assured this incident will save lives in the future. More people will make better decisions, especially those that were there. We've all made bad decisions in the past, lets try to make better ones in the future, both on and off the mountain.

booster

Reaction score
This is absolutely a tragedy and my heart goes out to the families.
But we all know this could have been worse if it had been a normal weekend when just a small group would have been there. We go there every time we come out and if there were only say 8 or so guys there and it slid the death toll would have been higher. Look at the good of this there were a ton of properly trained and educated people out there that kept this from being a massive loss of life.

Top Bottom