FALLOUT: Avalanche-Turbo March 13,2010

RETODD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.valemountvacationrental.com
I have one simple question...something that has bothered me for the last 48 hours.

Why when 8 die on a tragic day in Fernie does a community gather together and mourn with what seemed the public and media behind them...yet this tragic event has gain a seemingly blood thirsty movement to punish or prosecute organizers, parents, sledders etc?

What is going on here? :confused:

snoqueen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have one simple question...something that has bothered me for the last 48 hours.

Why when 8 die on a tragic day in Fernie does a community gather together and mourn with what seemed the public and media behind them...yet this tragic event has gain a seemingly blood thirsty movement to punish or prosecute organizers, parents, sledders etc?

That's easy.
It is a controversial event that many in the town were not supporting, including the SRS, because of a tainted history....The other tragedy also raised questions about backcountry safety, but the mourning community of Sparwood focus was greater.

Blu du

Reaction score
one news clip i watched they said OZONE the BIS organizer skiped town before sunday morning. does anyone know if this is true?

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
The story that has not been reported and needs to get out is that by the time Search and Rescue arrived everyone had been located and dug out. That is amazing! Normal everyday people, mostly strangers to each other, were prepared, and were able to mount an organized response to a major accident. Under the conditions, that is amazing.

this is the same way i feel. all the people that helped get everyone out should be recognized for there actions. Just trying to get everyones beacons into search mode is a feat in itself. there had to be some special individuals who really came through in a time of need to calm and organize everyone there. Thank you. This tragedy will not stop me from sledding in the future or even this coming weekend, i will just know now that i can probably count on my fellow sledders if i find myself in a situation. I feel that this tragedy has brought us all closer even though most of us have never met, but i hope to meet alot of you in the future. See you all on the hills.

RETODD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.valemountvacationrental.com
That's easy.
It is a controversial event that many in the town were not supporting, including the SRS, because of a tainted history....The other tragedy also raised questions about backcountry safety, but the mourning community of Sparwood focus was greater.

I understand that...and you've solidified my point...any loss of life in any type of "sporting event" is as equally horrific. The lash out here seems to be extraordinarily harsh towards an event that was, by posted accounts, not occurring during this tragedy.

Last edited:

ESOX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Amen to that and to all other posts reflecting on this tragedy in a realistic manner. Grieving is a tough thing to do but everyone goes through it at some point. Trouble is that it can take many forms; anger, fear, sadness, questioning, etc...I hope there are no snap decisions made by those in political power trying to 'regulate' snowmobiling based on the frenzy of the grieving process.
'this too, shall pass' and time will heal:(

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
one news clip i watched they said OZONE the BIS organizer skiped town before sunday morning. does anyone know if this is true?

My take on that was the media called his hotel and he had checked out Sun morning, like everyone else does. But they had to spin it....

knee deep in it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My take on that was the media called his hotel and he had checked out Sun morning, like everyone else does. But they had to spin it....

the funny thing was that the CBC camera truck and crew were parked 100 feet from him when he loaded his gear. He didn't run out of town. He was still there when we left and he was in plain view of the cbc crew.

m8magic

Reaction score
the following i copied from another forum...and if true it should eliminate any cunfusion...that tragedy at turbo hill was not part of any event...not part of anybodys individual overseeing or responsibility...imo it was all individual responsibility at no event other then a huge grouping...and saddly i do somewhat agree that maybee some parents were individually somewhat negilgent putting their child in danger...remember we as individuals are responsible for our actions...our children are young and they rely on our judgement...and definately some children were put in harms way...not necessarily because of negligence on the parents part...but because of lack of education of backcountry dangers..and we all have lack uf education in some aspects of our childern and circumstances...i just think the rcmp are under tremendous pressure from the goverment to lay some symbolic charges and because this tragedy was not part of any event organized or not organized that the rumour of parents being charged is there only middle ground that they may want to take...that or they know that the outcry would be significant and then they could reconsider with public opinion backing them...jmo

the copied and pasted part

one thing that we have to remember, the avalanche did not occur at a Big Iron Shootout event. The Turbo hill climb was scheduled for Sunday. That is why there is no helicopter footage of the slide. Everyone at Turbo was there on their own.

There are lots of opinions on Ozone but it is a little unfair to expect him to bear the responsibility for everyone's safety on Bolder mountain, even after the show is done for the day. After the Bull Pen, 450 people went in different directions to play.

The three Big Iron Shootout events had mostly one rider at a time or drag races where the hill was safe and racers were lined up at a gate. In the three BIS events, the spectators were far enough away that the slides that came down were not a danger to the crowd.

Props to Crazy Canadian and Blair for having a cool head and organizing the search and rescue. This could have turned out to be a lot worse than two deaths.

yuri

Reaction score
Ontario Armchair Quarterback

First my condolences to the family and friends of the dead and injured.

After following this story closely, I was impressed that when 50+ people and gear got caught in a 20+ year avalanche. All persons were extricated within a few hours....2 dead, 4 badly wounded and a couple dozen with noticeable injuries.

A surprisingly good outcome! Chance favours the prepared mind.

Obviously the many folks present that had avalanche training made this a much smaller tragedy than it could of been.

On any given day in southern Ontario our traffic injuries are far worse, let alone the worst accident of the year.

I think it would benefit the sport to designate a spokesman who is very knowledgeable, good with media and attuned with the law to be a spokesman for our right to enjoy the great outdoors. The media coverage was kinda gruesome at first until they started interviewing folks from the scene. Once we started hearing from the folks that actually knew anything the situation became more clear and understandable. This was a rare avalanche. Folks were being careful and prepared.

teamti

Reaction score
I just finished watching the 6 o'clock news and I have to say I'm getting angrier by the minute.....the RCMP is now looking into pressing charges for negligence to the parents that brought their children to Turbo Bowl on that fateful Saturday. What does this DANGEROUS precedent mean for us sledding families in the future??? Our kids sled with us every chance they get, and our 13 year old sleds with us in the mountains, and has completed his AST 1 course in January. He is more knowledgeable about snowpack and avy areas than your average person at his age. So, now because of the tragic events that have occurred in Revy, we as a knowledgeable, avalanche aware sledding family will have to suffer the consequences?? I'm sorry....but does anyone else agree with me that the media has gone totally berserk with the coverage and is making the majority of us responsible sledders look like crazy lunatics ready to rip up any slope in the worst of all avalanche conditions??? :mad:

That's the one that troubles me the most. As adults we make the decision to take what risks we take - and that's fine and the way it should be. I saw the interview with the 12 year old kid - poor kid was terrified by the slide. What choice did he have when he was brought to this event to spectate and
stand at the bottom of a large exposed slope? I don't have the answer to that one

EDIT - this is the description of the slide from the CAC bulletin. Definitely big! Just adding so that all facts from professional sources are in one location

Special Message
Boulder Mountain Avalanche Incident Revelstoke B.C. Saturday March 13, 2010 3pm. Slab, size 2.5 – 3, incline: “steep,” NE aspect, low Alpine feature (~2300m), main section that affected the people involved ~300m wide, significantly more fracture line wraps around shoulder, perhaps another 300m, linear run about 700m including running over a bench at about 2000m then down a steep slope below to edge of mature timber. Depth of debris up to 3m. Two fatalities, 19 hospitalized (1 critical, 3 serious). Tens of sleds destroyed or seriously damaged. Rescue winding down. Miracle that no more people were killed or injured."

m8magic

Reaction score
. As adults we make the decision to take what risks we take - and that's fine and the way it should be. I saw the interview with the 12 year old kid - poor kid was terrified by the slide. What choice did he have when he was brought to this event to spectate and
stand at the bottom of a large exposed slope?

x2 you nailed it out of the ballpark...checkmate...

Vertical-Extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
this was wrote by a woman in Oregon, very well wrote, Cudos to her. she states on SW that if anyone would like to re-distribute this go ahead, so if anyone know someone in the local media send it over

It’s time to honor the heros.
Written by Susie Rainsberry
March 15, 2010

It’s been several days now since the tragic avalanche at Turbo Hill. The latest reports are that two are deceased and three are still hospitalized. The media is also reporting that there were 200 snowmobilers at Turbo at the time of the slide. The avalanche is reported to have been up to 150 meters wide and 10 meters deep. That, my friends, is a BIG avalanche!

I’d like to put some perspective on this – a snowmobiler’s perspective. Apparently no one in the media is a snowmobiler or is concerned about taking the time to gather the facts – not just the bad, but the good as well. And there is good to be heard in this story. If you ask a snowmobiler – they’d be able to tell you what that is. But either the media isn’t asking, or has heard it and doesn’t feel that the facts are newsworthy.

However, I feel these facts are the MOST newsworthy topic of this entire tragedy.

Saturday afternoon, following the close of the events for the annual Big Iron Shootout, a large group of snowmobilers headed to Turbo Bowl to make a run at the hill. As the riders lined up at the bottom of the hill, the mass of spectators parked their sleds and prepared to enjoy the show. As one of the sleds turned out towards the top, the hillside gave way. Thundering down the mountain it came – taking sleds and riders with it. This powerful act of nature happens in a split second. There is no time to react.

The time to react is as soon as it stops. And react – with speed and knowledge – in the midst of chaos – is what those sledders did. There were no typical first responders to this catastrophe in the immediate moments following the avalanche. Only snowmobilers. Those same snowmobilers that the media is painting with a broad stroke as crazy, ignorant, thrill-seekers.

As a back country snowmobiler myself, I can tell you that ignorant is not a word that I would use to describe those survivors. I would call them heroes! And justly so. In the midst of what may have been the most terrifying minutes of their lives, they turned their avalanche beacons to search, they got out their probes and their shovels and they started rescue protocols IMMEDIATELY – likely while in a state of shock. They dug out those that were buried, they triaged the injured, they administered first aid, they built fires to keep them warm until the helicopters arrived. These people were heroic!! Without their quick and educated responses, many more people would have died.

I am angered that the media is so eager to report this story that they are being so disgraceful to the victims and survivors. These people need support and compassion. They do not need to be stereotyped and degraded in the media or by anyone else. Shame on you!! Didn’t your mother teach you better manners than that?

I’m not done though – there is way more information about snowmobilers in respect to the Big Iron Shootout and Revelstoke that the media hasn’t covered yet. While they gleefully report that this is an unsanctioned (I’ll get to that in a moment) event drew 200 sledders (despite the grave warnings from the avalanche center), what they aren’t telling you is that there are likely double that number of snowmobilers who DIDN’T attend this year’s event – because of the conditions. Snowmobilers who DID heed the warnings.

As I was reading the snowmobiling forums and Facebook on Saturday evening, the same story continued to repeat itself – people concerned about friends who generally attend the BIS, those friends checking in and saying they didn’t go this year, or they were in the area but avoided Turbo Bowl because of the warnings and the conditions they were already aware of. You see, back country snowmobilers are often in the back country two or more days a week and already have first hand insight to the conditions.

Regarding the word being used in almost every story – unsanctioned. It is true that there is no sanctioning organization for this event. Not the town of Revelstoke nor the Revelstoke Snowmobile Club. However, just because it’s not sanctioned does not mean that it is illegal.

Snowmobilers often gather in large groups to ride with friends who are generally dispersed all over Canada and the United States. I personally rode with a group of 30 riders at an “unsanctioned” event in Wyoming. Oops! I also rode at another “unsanctioned” event, ummm, better make that two, here in Oregon. Rest assured, I am not a criminal nor are any of the snowmobilers that I know.

The internet keeps the snowmobiling community connected. There are 1,000s of unsanctioned events that simply start by someone saying, “hey – who wants to ride this weekend?” Next thing ya know, word spreads about how much fun everyone had and it snowballs from there (pun intended). They grow into these annual events…”same date next year?”

So, here’s what happens next – the date is set. Motel rooms are reserved. Trucks and sleds are fueled. Vacation time is requested. Then individuals, families and social groups all head into a remote mountain town. They buy. They buy. They buy a lot!! They spend money – because they can.

It is with great sadness that I have to dispel the myth that mountain snowmobilers are a bunch of rednecks. All you really need to do is add up the costs to outfit an individual – much less an entire family – with a sled and the proper safety gear. Since this article is really targeted at those individuals who are not mountain sledders, I will point out that everything – got that?…EVERYTHING, on your person and on your sled is part and parcel of your survival gear. From your gloves, to your coat, to the sunglasses in your backpack. Trying to save a dime in buying a coat is really not advised, when that coat may be the only thing protecting you from the elements if you have to stay overnight. With all that said, here’s a run down of estimated costs of the primary accessories needed to sled in the back country.

• Sled $6,000-$14,000 USD
• Clothes (including base, mid and outer layers – top & bottom) $800-$1,200 USD
• Boots/gloves/helmet $245-$800 USD
• Backpack (non-avy) $60-$120 USD
• Backpack (avy) $1,000-$1,200 USD
• Body armor (tek vest, knee pads, etc) $60-$300 USD
• Beacon, probe, shovel $250-$400 USD

This doesn’t include a lot of items, such as matches, radios, compass, fire starter, flashlight, and the list goes on, and the costs add up. It would be GREATLY appreciated if the media would STOP perpetuating the myths that sledders are ignorant, beer-swilling, couch-potatoes. Because it’s simply not true.

The fact is that mountain sledders do not fit a stereotypical mold. They come from all areas of the business world…from CEOs to millworkers. They have families and they are single. They are old and they are young. They are world-class athletes and they are physically handicapped. They survive corporate down-sizing, cancer, divorces, etc….just like everyone else.

The thing that binds us together is our great love for the back country in the winter. We are modern day adventurers. We want to get out there – in the mountains. We want to explore and play and wonder at the beauty. We love the snow! When it covers the trees, when it flies up in our faces, when it gives us a playground of vast proportions. That is when we are in heaven. That is when our souls glow.

We are not anything that the media will have tried to make us out to be in the last couple of days. We are so much more. It’s truly a pity that the media isn’t interested in shining any light on the truth.

The truth is - the Turbo Bowl avy survivors are HEROS. We in the snowmobiling communities – far and wide – are praying for the full recovery of those injured, in body and in spirit. And finally, with great compassion and sympathy we extend our heartfelt condolences to the families of those who perished.

I wrote this and I am Susie Rainsberry, Oregon resident, back-country snowmobiler. I provide free and complete liberty for others to share and disperse this message. The time has come to stop the slandering of good individuals just because they ride snowmobiles.

snoqueen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
this was wrote by a woman in Oregon, very well wrote, Cudos to her. she states on SW that if anyone would like to re-distribute this go ahead, so if anyone know someone in the local media send it over

March 15, 2010

It’s been several days now since the tragic avalanche at Turbo Hill. The latest reports are that two are deceased and three are still hospitalized. The media is also reporting that there were 200 snowmobilers at Turbo at the time of the slide. The avalanche is reported to have been up to 150 meters wide and 10 meters deep. That, my friends, is a BIG avalanche!

I’d like to put some perspective on this – a snowmobiler’s perspective. Apparently no one in the media is a snowmobiler or is concerned about taking the time to gather the facts – not just the bad, but the good as well. And there is good to be heard in this story. If you ask a snowmobiler – they’d be able to tell you what that is. But either the media isn’t asking, or has heard it and doesn’t feel that the facts are newsworthy.

However, I feel these facts are the MOST newsworthy topic of this entire tragedy.

Saturday afternoon, following the close of the events for the annual Big Iron Shootout, a large group of snowmobilers headed to Turbo Bowl to make a run at the hill. As the riders lined up at the bottom of the hill, the mass of spectators parked their sleds and prepared to enjoy the show. As one of the sleds turned out towards the top, the hillside gave way. Thundering down the mountain it came – taking sleds and riders with it. This powerful act of nature happens in a split second. There is no time to react.

The time to react is as soon as it stops. And react – with speed and knowledge – in the midst of chaos – is what those sledders did. There were no typical first responders to this catastrophe in the immediate moments following the avalanche. Only snowmobilers. Those same snowmobilers that the media is painting with a broad stroke as crazy, ignorant, thrill-seekers.

As a back country snowmobiler myself, I can tell you that ignorant is not a word that I would use to describe those survivors. I would call them heroes! And justly so. In the midst of what may have been the most terrifying minutes of their lives, they turned their avalanche beacons to search, they got out their probes and their shovels and they started rescue protocols IMMEDIATELY – likely while in a state of shock. They dug out those that were buried, they triaged the injured, they administered first aid, they built fires to keep them warm until the helicopters arrived. These people were heroic!! Without their quick and educated responses, many more people would have died.

I am angered that the media is so eager to report this story that they are being so disgraceful to the victims and survivors. These people need support and compassion. They do not need to be stereotyped and degraded in the media or by anyone else. Shame on you!! Didn’t your mother teach you better manners than that?

I’m not done though – there is way more information about snowmobilers in respect to the Big Iron Shootout and Revelstoke that the media hasn’t covered yet. While they gleefully report that this is an unsanctioned (I’ll get to that in a moment) event drew 200 sledders (despite the grave warnings from the avalanche center), what they aren’t telling you is that there are likely double that number of snowmobilers who DIDN’T attend this year’s event – because of the conditions. Snowmobilers who DID heed the warnings.

As I was reading the snowmobiling forums and Facebook on Saturday evening, the same story continued to repeat itself – people concerned about friends who generally attend the BIS, those friends checking in and saying they didn’t go this year, or they were in the area but avoided Turbo Bowl because of the warnings and the conditions they were already aware of. You see, back country snowmobilers are often in the back country two or more days a week and already have first hand insight to the conditions.

Regarding the word being used in almost every story – unsanctioned. It is true that there is no sanctioning organization for this event. Not the town of Revelstoke nor the Revelstoke Snowmobile Club. However, just because it’s not sanctioned does not mean that it is illegal.

Snowmobilers often gather in large groups to ride with friends who are generally dispersed all over Canada and the United States. I personally rode with a group of 30 riders at an “unsanctioned” event in Wyoming. Oops! I also rode at another “unsanctioned” event, ummm, better make that two, here in Oregon. Rest assured, I am not a criminal nor are any of the snowmobilers that I know.

The internet keeps the snowmobiling community connected. There are 1,000s of unsanctioned events that simply start by someone saying, “hey – who wants to ride this weekend?” Next thing ya know, word spreads about how much fun everyone had and it snowballs from there (pun intended). They grow into these annual events…”same date next year?”

So, here’s what happens next – the date is set. Motel rooms are reserved. Trucks and sleds are fueled. Vacation time is requested. Then individuals, families and social groups all head into a remote mountain town. They buy. They buy. They buy a lot!! They spend money – because they can.

It is with great sadness that I have to dispel the myth that mountain snowmobilers are a bunch of rednecks. All you really need to do is add up the costs to outfit an individual – much less an entire family – with a sled and the proper safety gear. Since this article is really targeted at those individuals who are not mountain sledders, I will point out that everything – got that?…EVERYTHING, on your person and on your sled is part and parcel of your survival gear. From your gloves, to your coat, to the sunglasses in your backpack. Trying to save a dime in buying a coat is really not advised, when that coat may be the only thing protecting you from the elements if you have to stay overnight. With all that said, here’s a run down of estimated costs of the primary accessories needed to sled in the back country.

This doesn’t include a lot of items, such as matches, radios, compass, fire starter, flashlight, and the list goes on, and the costs add up. It would be GREATLY appreciated if the media would STOP perpetuating the myths that sledders are ignorant, beer-swilling, couch-potatoes. Because it’s simply not true.

The fact is that mountain sledders do not fit a stereotypical mold. They come from all areas of the business world…from CEOs to millworkers. They have families and they are single. They are old and they are young. They are world-class athletes and they are physically handicapped. They survive corporate down-sizing, cancer, divorces, etc….just like everyone else.

The thing that binds us together is our great love for the back country in the winter. We are modern day adventurers. We want to get out there – in the mountains. We want to explore and play and wonder at the beauty. We love the snow! When it covers the trees, when it flies up in our faces, when it gives us a playground of vast proportions. That is when we are in heaven. That is when our souls glow.

We are not anything that the media will have tried to make us out to be in the last couple of days. We are so much more. It’s truly a pity that the media isn’t interested in shining any light on the truth.

The truth is - the Turbo Bowl avy survivors are HEROS. We in the snowmobiling communities – far and wide – are praying for the full recovery of those injured, in body and in spirit. And finally, with great compassion and sympathy we extend our heartfelt condolences to the families of those who perished.

I wrote this and I am Susie Rainsberry, Oregon resident, back-country snowmobiler. I provide free and complete liberty for others to share and disperse this message. The time has come to stop the slandering of good individuals just because they ride snowmobiles.

Couldn't have said it better, Susie!! This is an awesome article and it would be great to send this letter to every media outlet and newspaper out there. Thanks for taking the time to write a heartfelt letter that defends our sport......the sport we love and don't want slandered ANYMORE. PERIOD.

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
I agree, this needs to get out to the media, and in the fastest way possible. We need email contacts for the major news outlets, tv, and radio stations...

What a great story...It needs to be told immediately!

Zig Zag

Reaction score

March 15, 2010

Sure be nice to see an article like this in the Alberta and BC media:)

m8magic

Reaction score
Re: Ontario Armchair Quarterback

I think it would benefit the sport to designate a spokesman who is very knowledgeable, good with media and attuned with the law to be a spokesman for our right to enjoy the great outdoors.

yep..i think your right...i think all the forums,clubs,dealers should all group by putting a sum aside..donations...drives...auctions ..pokerruns...to support our cause by having one very smart paid articulate professional lobbyist...spinmaster..to further our agenda and stomp our enemys in their own end zone..

Bitchbang

Reaction score
condolences go out to the families of the deceased and injured,congrats to all that were there searching and helping,and im sure glad that search and rescue did not find anybody else after they kicked all of us out of there,that was a hard thing to do ,ride away not knowing if everyone was found,as far as pointing fingers{whatever}maybe someone should tell the media that all vehicles in the parking lots were accounted for that night,so why 2 more days of burnin tax dollars searching for people that were not there.

doo-skiboy

Reaction score
OK here we go :(
I lost 2 of my best friends and co-workers in this event. I knew both of the guys that passed away and was very much involved in both of there life's. They were both best friends and business partners.
Before I go much further I have talked to both of there wife's and given statement to all kinds of press. I want to let all my fellow friends and internet friends know that we (The 2 wife and myself) are not pointing any fingers and we all find it very hard to think of why people would try to press charges. I know and have read this thread a lost of times and would just like to stress that this is no ones fault at all and would like everyone to know how we felt.

:(

Shay was a very good and experienced sledder he really enjoyed sledding and loved to get away to the mountains, he worked very hard so he could play even harder. One thing he all way told me was "if he had to go he wanted to go from the top of the world". Shay was the one at the top of the hill so I feel he wish was answered.

This was a once a year trip for Kurtis and he really enjoyed coming to enjoy a sport that his partner was very passionate for. This was his second trip and he was really enjoying himself. He work very hard and love to play. with his family and friends

:(

Both men will be very much missed and remembered

I really appreciate all the positive comments and I have also past them on to the family's
THANKS SNOW AND MUD

Mike Harker

Top Bottom