F350 bounce driving me crazy

boxer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No net yet, was waiting to see how the camper sat.

Frankenytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The old crew truck we used to run when I was rigging rode like a lumber wagon unloaded but the driller needed the 3500 for on his days off. The solution found was a 4'X8'X3/4" thick steel plate. We bolted it to the floor of the truck bed and threw the frame. The weight clearly fixed the ride of the truck and also allowed the use of all of the box (minus 3/4" height) and being as it was a 1 ton he always had weight to spare without concern of overloading it. I know it is not the ultimate cure... But it might stop your fillings from bouncing loose lol

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
aired the tires down low today, bounce actually got worse??? seems it bounces least at 75psi all the way around? have read other forums that read that ford states tires must be kept at door sticker recomended psi? I dp have a readylift stage 2 leveling kit but the truck bounced the same when it was stock...was hoping the leveling kit majically got rid of it. lol. next i am installing a set of new toyo tires, hopefully the problem is these crappy michelin stockers?

My 04 diesel crewcab F350 recommends 50PSI in the front. 75 is way to much IMO.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 6.7. 2012 mega 3500 with 35" toyos I ran 45 in front and 38 in rear MT. Rode good...ish. 75lb is a lot for a mt truck.
What's ur overloads look like? Some of them are just way to stiff from factory. Depends on the set up but I've flipped them before, basically making them engage lower in the spring compression. But I like Rics idea of more caster. If ur piling a ton of weight and it gets better u in fact might be adding caster if ur tipping truck frt up a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my bet is driveline shake as well. Seems common in longer wheelbase Fords. Try shimming the steady bearing or have the driveshaft re-balanced and if you really want to fix it go to a one piece driveshaft.

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i would try putting in the ready lift radius arm brackets. we put the ready lift sst stage 3 tow lift in dads truck and the front end felt like it was all over the place. I put the sst stage 3 lift in my truck which came with the brackets. my truck handled great. so we installed the brackets in dads truck and it now handles like it should.

boxer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got new wheels and tires installed tonight. Bounce is still there a bit but tires and wheels helped a bit. Rides better now.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 197

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nice rig boxer, I have a rental flatdeck srw gasser one ton right now while my trucks getting surgery and anything above 60 is a rough ride.

I'll be hauling my quad around this weekend I'm kind of excited to see if it improves the ride.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Big thanks for the thread boxer !!!

My Dodge Lumber wagon is a stone bolt that is now due for a suspension tune-up after 250.000 kms.

A pal in Red Deer Alberta has been working with suspension for many years, he's seen the good, bad, and ugly of what folks have tried with good success and others not so much.
When you mention bounce, it makes me wonder if its the same as what my unit does.

The years have taken the toll on my front coils as that are now collapsed that produce a thud when I hit train tracks, one can feel that the front axle is hitting bumper stoppers since there is next to nill of room between them on both sides. The HD leafs in the back produce bounce, and the time has come after 11 years.

His suggestion to me is,,,
Front-end gets 2" longer coils and top quality shocks that will give the front axle more travel with a smoother ride, new coil hockey pucks rubbers when its apart.
Back-end will have one of the pay-load leafs removed so I can utilize the 5000 lb air bags system that installed, I don't run much air in them to let the rear-end float free if at all possible 7 to 10 psi when empty. Better shocks back there too, and 2" spacer betwwen leafs and rear axle to keep unit level.

Softer/ lighter duty components could allow the unit to sway more, so a up-graded front sway bar to a stiffen front axle tracking when going over rough stuff, or swale holes/ washed out high-way trenches along the roads we drive on.

My truck will never be as smooth as my car, but it can improve if I address a few of the things that need doing.

Thanks again for the thread as I smooth out that things in life that really matter.

PS: Both drive-shafts, u-joints and steady bearing have been done a few thousand k ago, now time to attack the rest.

Pal Lem

Last edited:

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So when you say bounce is the whole truck bouncing up and down or is it more of a vibration that is felt through the truck, and is it fast or slow, tire speed which is slower or drive shaft speed which is fst.

boxer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
At exactly 70 kms the truck starts bouncing. Look in the mirror and you can see the tailgate bouncing up and down. 80 kms and it disappears . Truck runs silky smooth when I have my quad in the box. No bounce at any speed.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just a thought but do you get your tires balanced using those bean bags? I got a few sets done with those and they all bounced.

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So its more in the rear of the truck, sure sounds like something is out in the driveline, i have seen drive drive shafts that vibrate at around 70 to 80 then gone at higher speeds, actually my 03 was like that. You need to find a good dealer, I would pull the rear shaft and take it for a drive in 4x4 and see if the bounce is gone. but then i haven't felt it personally to know for sure.

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just a thought but do you get your tires balanced using those bean bags? I got a few sets done with those and they all bounced.

Tried them years ago and those bean bags are junk, they all vibrate till the beads spread out. so every morning it shaks for a bit. I never use them anymore.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tried them years ago and those bean bags are junk, they all vibrate till the beads spread out. so every morning it shaks for a bit. I never use them anymore.
But every time u stop and start it rebalances the tires, compensates for snow and mud in the rims

Years ago the beads would stick together, the new ones don't at all, also suggested on anything with dual wheels

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
But every time u stop and start it rebalances the tires, compensates for snow and mud in the rims

Years ago the beads would stick together, the new ones don't at all, also suggested on anything with dual wheels

Yah I been told they are good for dually's.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
there are Ford technical service bulletins about some f350's, that can only do a road force balance, not a regular wheel balance to prevent vibrations at certain speeds. I had an '05 F350 and tried to balance at our shop several times, but it had a strange vibration that would come and go at different speeds. took to a friends shop to rebalance and same thing. went to the big kal tire on yellowhead and had them do a road force balance, and vibration/shimmy gone. it was worst on the rear, as you could see the tailgate shimmying as well. drove like a dream afterward :) ... might be food for though

Top Bottom