f150's tire size, leveling kit, bilstein shocks, 3m, real world help needed?

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey guys... got a new f150 looking at a 2.5 or 2 inch pro comp leveling kit...

Problem 1. I only have the 17 inch rims... I want new rims but don't want a wider stance as I don't want my fender's and rocker panels to get chewed to ch!t... any recommendations???

trying to find a 33 inch tire that's not too wide to give me some extra ground clearance!

Thinking of getting egr truck accessories OEM looking fender flares after I 3m the front and wheel well. (anyone 3 m their truck)? would you recommend it or not? I like to keep trucks 10 plus years so a little money to save rust is well worth it for me. I wanted the Fx4 fender lips but cant get them for a xlt model! 3 m is about 1k line x all the same is 3100!

anyone running Bilstein 5100 shocks? I hear they can act as a leveling kit but when I called Wheels in Edmonton they said I needed both the leveling kit and the shocks???

Sorry for all the questions but that what I am looking at... dealer had some nice 20 inch black rims with cooper tires... wanted 3100 for the 4 of them... sounds really steep to me?

Again, real world help if you changed rim size would you go 18 or 20's. I hear 18's are way easire to get tires for????

I may just try to pick up a set of fx4 rims!

BIG DAWG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
235/80/17 is 32" and 9.? wide or 285/75/17 is 34.2 high and 11.4 wide which is a little narrower than 33x12.5x17

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I went 295 70 17's cause they are taller but a little narrower than the 285's

Thanks, Big Dawg and arewethereyet... much appreciated all good advise... did you guys need to level them out to fit?

Thanks again. I probably wont level it if I don't need to... If you did level it did you do the rear? Add leaf or a block? thanks

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Big Dawg and arewethereyet... much appreciated all good advise... did you guys need to level them out to fit?

Thanks again. I probably wont level it if I don't need to... If you did level it did you do the rear? Add leaf or a block? thanks

On a dodge I know they fit no lift, but with a Ford and Chev I am pretty sure you need at least a level, and close to stock rim backspacing,.. but don't quote me on that.

NorthstaRmk

Reaction score
i put the autolevel? (cant remember the name) off ebay, it was 110$ to my door, 2.5" lift in front 1.5" in back. make sure you get the offset coil spacers or you will have the upper a-arm smashing your coils everytime you hit a pot hole or something, and ya the 295/75(or 65?)/18 is a excellent tire size for that set up, goood year duratracs. if u got xlt package dont 3m your bumper, pointless imo, i got the ford factory underbody coating, like it alot was 500$

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if u got xlt package dont 3m your bumper, pointless imo, i got the ford factory underbody coating, like it alot was 500$[/QUOTE]

pointless cause it wont help? I have an 02 dodge 2500... rocker panels are rusting on the driver's side with 294k on it... its a diesel and otherwise mint... truck was a highway princess... now looking at a 5k body touch up... i would do it except too small of a truck for a growing family... just wanted the 3m to protect it... never thought of bumper just hood, headlight and rockerpanel/wheel wells? Any suggestions? I have the black plastic running board... do you think they will offer enough protection?

Thanks everyone for your help... keep in mind I believe in keeping my trucks for a long time so if protections will help early I'd do it...

hedge

Reaction score
It may be different with the new Gen but on my '06 f150 I had 305/60r18 KO tires on it with an Autospring 2.5 levelling kit. I had firestone airbags in the back and at about 15 lbs it was dead level. The tires did rub on the mud flaps but once I removed them no rubbing.

NorthstaRmk

Reaction score
i said bumper was pointless because its chrome, you wont get the paint chips, do the rest of the painted stuff, should work good if its done profesionally

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey guys... got a new f150 looking at a 2.5 or 2 inch pro comp leveling kit...

Problem 1. I only have the 17 inch rims... I want new rims but don't want a wider stance as I don't want my fender's and rocker panels to get chewed to ch!t... any recommendations???

trying to find a 33 inch tire that's not too wide to give me some extra ground clearance!

Thinking of getting egr truck accessories OEM looking fender flares after I 3m the front and wheel well. (anyone 3 m their truck)? would you recommend it or not? I like to keep trucks 10 plus years so a little money to save rust is well worth it for me. I wanted the Fx4 fender lips but cant get them for a xlt model! 3 m is about 1k line x all the same is 3100!

anyone running Bilstein 5100 shocks? I hear they can act as a leveling kit but when I called Wheels in Edmonton they said I needed both the leveling kit and the shocks???

Sorry for all the questions but that what I am looking at... dealer had some nice 20 inch black rims with cooper tires... wanted 3100 for the 4 of them... sounds really steep to me?

Again, real world help if you changed rim size would you go 18 or 20's. I hear 18's are way easire to get tires for????

I may just try to pick up a set of fx4 rims!

Ah just a thought.... Maybe should have bought a Raptor, Homer, duh!

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ah just a thought.... Maybe should have bought a Raptor, Homer, duh!

thought about it... got too good of a deal on this... I wanted a diesel... bought a truck I am not sure I will be happy with but it's paid for! Besides, I drive and old diesel cause I love driving it... one of those guys that I don't really need a diesel...for the 800 bucks for leveling kit and few bucks xtra for bigger tires not worth it IMHOP for a raptor... i don't care about bells and whistles on the inside... got neoprene seat covers for the kids... im good to go! Just wanna protect the truck best I can

on another note... anyone ever use POR 15? Thinking on putting it on fender wells myself before I throw on some fender flares...

redivivus

Reaction score
ive got an 07 f150 with a fabtech 6" inch lift and 35x12.50x17 general grabber tires. I bought some fender flares and just got the autobody guy to put a rock protection strip on the bottom of my truck im sure its just a hard rubber compound but I have no rock chips on my truck. just a cracked mirror from me not having flares on my truck haha. and the chrome bumper thing just take it off and sandblast it and paint to match ur truck the paint seems to last better than chrome

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ive got an 07 f150 with a fabtech 6" inch lift and 35x12.50x17 general grabber tires. I bought some fender flares and just got the autobody guy to put a rock protection strip on the bottom of my truck im sure its just a hard rubber compound but I have no rock chips on my truck. just a cracked mirror from me not having flares on my truck haha. and the chrome bumper thing just take it off and sandblast it and paint to match ur truck the paint seems to last better than chrome

did you mean the thin plastic stuff... kinda goes on in a sheet... like the old 3 m stuff or was it spay on?

I just did the 3 m stuff on the front of the truck and fender wells looks great... not sure i need to do rocker panels with those thick black vinyl running boards

redivivus

Reaction score
it looks like the 3m stuff its too neat to be spray on. but its starting to come off due to a high pressure pressure washer hahaa ill clean up my truck and post some picks.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rancho or Bilstein make the front shocks that work as leveling the front end. Have two settings at 1.5 inch and 2.5 inch. Need a coil compressor to install. The spacers are the easiest.

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rancho or Bilstein make the front shocks that work as leveling the front end. Have two settings at 1.5 inch and 2.5 inch. Need a coil compressor to install. The spacers are the easiest.
Pretty sure you need to still have the spacers as well the extended Bilstein shocks are longer so you can avoid using the lower shock mount spacers that. Come with the leveling kit
I just put Bilstein 5100 on the rear of my superduty big improvement over the stock shock (not oem rancho) and will be putting them on the front when I. Need to and get rid of the lower shock mount extensions that came with my ready lift leveling kit

Top Bottom