Level kits

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Question for the experts. My F350 has stock 18" wheels and the stock tires. If I go to a 20" wheel will it raise the height by 1" or something different? Also, if I add a 2" levelling kit, how much more height will it add?

Looking at styling but the truck has to fit into the garage with a sled or two on the back. I need to know what increase I am looking at and I differ to the experts.......

He was talking levelling kit not rims.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Really read the middle of the first paragraph ... Mabe u missed it

KevinA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
put a 2 1/2 " pro comp kit in my 2010 2500 Dmax. kept a good rake on her cause I haul quite a bit and hate a saggy rear end. lol. 1.5 front and 2.5 rear. I tuck 285/70/17 no prob.... ya I know its a chevy... stupid front wheel wells... should fit that at stock!! I didn't notice a ride difference and no excessive tire wear. I've had the kit in for 1.5 years now and love it. I originally wanted to have a more aggressive stance. I had a lifted truck prior to this and personally had mixed reviews on having an other.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Rim size has no height, just tire size
What are you talking about? An 18" rim is 18" across and therefore, 9" in height 9more or less). A 20" should be 1" higher than an 18" due to measuring across the diameter.

I thought you were a math teacher? If you add 2" you will go up 2"!
I understand that theoretically, but does a 2" levelling kit actually lift the truck 2" or is it more like 2 1/2"? I don't have much to spare to get the truck in the garage with a sled on it. I am assuming that nobody has actually gone and measured the difference once the deed has been done.

I don't have a lot of room to play with so I am being cautious. If I were to go the route of new rims/tires and a levelling kit and the truck didn't fit in the garage, I'd be a little p*ssed at myself.

Last edited:

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just be aware that when you have a level kit, it can effect your carrying capacity in handling. It doesn't change your OEM load capacity but when you put a load into the box, your front may sit higher then the rear and this will effect handling. Plus visually if your truck squat's at the rear even though not over limit DOT doesn't like it.
I have seen many trucks with level kits hauling little weight and their nose is pointing up.
Truck are not what they use to be, to get that smooth ride there spring deflect easily, so not much weight is needed to squat them down.

Last edited:

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
just be aware that when you have a level kit, it can effect your carrying capacity in handling. It doesn't change your oem load capacity but when you put a load into the box, your front may sit higher then the rear and this will effect handling. Plus visually if your truck squat's at the rear even though not over limit dot doesn't like it.
I have seen many trucks with level kits hauling little weight and their nose is pointing up.
Truck are not what they use to be, to get that smooth ride there spring deflect easily, so not much weight is needed to squat them down.

that's why they should have airbags on the rear ... Prevent that nose up look

hbar218

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't have a lot of room to play with so I am being cautious. If I were to go the route of new rims/tires and a levelling kit and the truck didn't fit in the garage, I'd be a little p*ssed at myself.
the tire size dictates how tall the tire is on the outside, you can get a 20" tire with same overall diameter as a 18" it will just have less sidewall

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Just be aware that when you have a level kit, it can effect your carrying capacity in handling. It doesn't change your OEM load capacity but when you put a load into the box, your front may sit higher then the rear and this will effect handling. Plus visually if your truck squat's at the rear even though not over limit DOT doesn't like it.

I understand. What I see with most of the "squatty" trucks are loads way to heavy for their ratings. Most are half tons. I'm not too worried about overloading my F350, it is the height getting into the garage that I'm concerned with.

So back to one of my original questions; Does a 2" levelling kit raise the truck 2" or does/can that height vary by +- 1/2"?

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
It will raise the front 2" .... We measure the levelling all the Time at the upper front wheel well lip, before and after the lift. Beware though, as different kits lift anywhere from 1 1/2" to 3"... I know the truxxx kits all lift what they say, and they do retain the factory ride feel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I understand. What I see with most of the "squatty" trucks are loads way to heavy for their ratings. Most are half tons. I'm not too worried about overloading my F350, it is the height getting into the garage that I'm concerned with.

So back to one of my original questions; Does a 2" levelling kit raise the truck 2" or does/can that height vary by +- 1/2"?

I know it goes against the grain of the majority when it comes to looks but i like my truck as low as possible without impairing the ability of clearance of course.
There are far more advantages to keeping your truck low over making it tall. The looks of a tall truck is cool but not practical.
If your just raising the front to match the back and not raising the back any your overall deck height should change very little and garage parking shouldn't be an issue. Unless your current clearance is ALREADY very tight.

It almost sounds to me that your trying to sneek your truck into an already very tight spot?

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fernie?
With the solid front axle it will be raised to what ever the spacer is in the kit.
Some go to the bottom of the coil and others are at the top.
Bilstien has a kit with coils but is a bit more money but is said to ride better.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Fernie?
With the solid front axle it will be raised to what ever the spacer is in the kit.
Some go to the bottom of the coil and others are at the top.
Bilstien has a kit with coils but is a bit more money but is said to ride better.

Thanks. I haven't got to looking at various kits yet. I'm still in the exploration stage to see if it will fit.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It is only tight and I may have 2" clearance when the sled is on the flatdeck. Otherwise there is no problem. Lots of room, 12-13", without the sled.

If you got only 2inches to play with your starting to split hairs, its already tight. Your going to see a 1inch rise at your sled with a 2inch leveler, almost guaranteed. IMO your chancing hitting your sled to the door frame, with only an 1inch of play.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It is only tight and I may have 2" clearance when the sled is on the flatdeck. Otherwise there is no problem. Lots of room, 12-13", without the sled.

Doug i think your going about this the wrong way. You want your truck to ride and look level correct.
Instead of raising the front just lower the rear 2inches....problem solved.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Doug i think your going about this the wrong way. You want your truck to ride and look level correct.
Instead of raising the front just lower the rear 2inches....problem solved.

I read a couple of posts ago that you like your trucks low. I'd like a little more clearance for spring riding to go over the rocks in some of our creek beds. I'm not going crazy here but I sort of thought 20" rims would be nice. To each their own, eh!

Top Bottom