Excuse the Newbie....

NoLimits

Reaction score
Howdy all,
Hope all is well.

Im looking at buying my first sled. What i want to play in is backcountry and hill climbs etc..

Was watching the Yamafest vids on youtube, and when you read the comments it varies in opinion on which sled is best.

Im going to go for new, warranty and peace of mind out ways the so called 'bargains' on kijiji.
What store is best to deal with?
I live south Edmonton.
Any help or info would be much appreciated.

Once i have a sled, i need some people i can tag along with!!
Where can i do avalanche training?
Does anyone take their skies or snowboard with them?

Thanks in advance

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Prepare to be bombarded with everyone telling you what "they" think the best sled is. Have you ever rode before? have you ever been to the mountains? i would suggest renting a machine for your first time but if you are dead set on getting a new sled i would go to each dealer and see who is gonna give you the best deal. All the mountain sleds are friggin awesome it (in my opinion) comes down to rider preference and dealer service. I also suggest getting a copy of the snowest deep powder shoot out, they have some good reviews on all the mountain 800's. Bottom line, the summit for 2013 is a new design and i'm sure is gonna be awesome. the etec motor is great on fuel and oil consumption but is a little harder to maneuver through tight trees (XP model not sure how the new XM will do) the M8 is really easy to throw around and has great power and the polaris has the least amount of HP but still whips through the trees and is easily tossed around. I have not rode all the different models but going off what others have posted here, riding with them and magazine reviews that gives you a general idea. I'm sure others will chime in with there views as well.

Boostmonkey

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Prepare to be bombarded with everyone telling you what "they" think the best sled is. Have you ever rode before? have you ever been to the mountains? i would suggest renting a machine for your first time but if you are dead set on getting a new sled i would go to each dealer and see who is gonna give you the best deal. All the mountain sleds are friggin awesome it (in my opinion) comes down to rider preference and dealer service. I also suggest getting a copy of the snowest deep powder shoot out, they have some good reviews on all the mountain 800's. Bottom line, the summit for 2013 is a new design and i'm sure is gonna be awesome. the etec motor is great on fuel and oil consumption but is a little harder to maneuver through tight trees (XP model not sure how the new XM will do) the M8 is really easy to throw around and has great power and the polaris has the least amount of HP but still whips through the trees and is easily tossed around. I have not rode all the different models but going off what others have posted here, riding with them and magazine reviews that gives you a general idea. I'm sure others will chime in with there views as well.

^^Great way to respond^^
IMO you should try them all out or at least as many as you can. Also hit up the sled show great way to meet new people to ride with.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Great response Slamnek!

NoLimits

Reaction score
Thanks for your response Slamnek,
I have rented a sled in the mountains, Golden. Was awesome, havnt a clue what machine we were on tho.
I will get that magazine and have a read. I'll end up with one that i think looks best then haha.
Boostmonkey i hopefully will be working that weekend, gotta pay to play eh!!

Hopefully if all goes well might try get out to Revy in Nov. Might be a bit optimistic.....

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think the sleds out today are pretty epic in comparison to 10 years ago. Technology has come so far. I have an analogy to make.
When I was young, I was heavily involved in music. Violin in particular. The level of instruction kept progressing to the point it was almost crazy. I had world class
instructors from all over the world. At some point It there was great discussion about which violin I should be playing. I was playing the one my dad used for decades. He had used it to play in the symphony, but mostly in his band with his brothers "Rusty Nail" way back in the day. It had been through bar brawls, and a flood.. tiger back maple, with a deep deep rich tone.. It was a sound that hit me deep in my heart.
The violin program I was in, was a very fancy shmancy program, but I wasn't.. I was a jock, tomboy who often came with bruises, and shiners to our music master classes. They tried to make me play a very expensive violin. They assured me it was "the best" one out there.. I didn't need my dads old violin anymore.... This one was more refined... a "ladies" violin....
Well big giant PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFT to them.. My favorite composer was Vivaldi.. this violin couldn't bring it.. it had NOOOOOO Oomph.. or Braap about it... I broke bow strings trying to get the sound out of it that I needed... it wouldn't do... it was worth a whole heck of a lot of money.. but wasn't suited for me.. So to this day... the violin I just pulled out to play with my kids... the violin I play at the Ymir Hotel on some Friday nights. ... is that Tiger Back Maple Bar brawling violin....
Try them.. ride what feels best to you......

And they all lived happily every after..

The end :)

Momma :)

dirtbiker77

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
like stated above when it come to first sled i think it comes down to what you like to ride. everyone is so different to the way they ride the sled. i had a rev in the past couple seasons and i loved my BRP but i could not ride the xp chassis, many will man there band wagon and say that there sled is the best, well thats due to the fact it works the best for them, not me or you. being brand loyal will happen when you get something and enjoy it. i am going to polaris... i bought the pro cause it just clicked when i got on it, yeh i am going to miss the power grunt under the hood of my BRP but thats what mods are for.. with sleds i think its all about making the right pair. look past band wagons and look up and actually shop for a sled that intrests you, not what others say is the best sled. there is a sled for all of us in the big 4. hope this helps. for finding others there is always people with space in the vehicle just have to post. and for first rife in november unless your going with people that know the area i say wait for dec, nov can be unexpected.

Bisch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I started a similar thread a while ago. I ended up buying a Ski-Doo Summit XM from T-Team at Martin Equipment South. Give him a call.

Howdy all,
Hope all is well.

Im looking at buying my first sled. What i want to play in is backcountry and hill climbs etc..

Was watching the Yamafest vids on youtube, and when you read the comments it varies in opinion on which sled is best.

Im going to go for new, warranty and peace of mind out ways the so called 'bargains' on kijiji.
What store is best to deal with?
I live south Edmonton.
Any help or info would be much appreciated.

Once i have a sled, i need some people i can tag along with!!
Where can i do avalanche training?
Does anyone take their skies or snowboard with them?

Thanks in advance

Shadam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if u want easy happy fun with no "issues" buy a 4 stroke, think yamy
if you want to scare the ch!t out of your self think 2 stroke.
if you want agility, think polaris or artic cat or skidoo to a lesser extent.
if you want to break down lots think artcicat.
my buddies sled snowboard tandom everywhere on an 2003 RX1 yamy and it is rock solid and doesnt break and gets everywhere except super deep pow. you sound like you want ski/snowboard. all sleds have their pro's and con's. tell us wot u plan to do your wieght, your budget, how many days.
a turbo m8 will change your life if you can pay to play and dealing with the greif will make u cry

NoLimits

Reaction score
Dirtbiker77, I think i'll do some shopping around and get as much info then make a decision of my own, then if its wrong its my fault haha.
And i'll probably wait out till december, earn some more pennies.

JRB15, thanks for the link, it goes slightly off topic, but i might give T Team a call/visit.

Shadam, I like to scare the ch!t out of myself, but not into all the work that goes with a 2 stroke. Surely a 4 stroke has more torque for the deep stuff no?
My weight is 13 stone which in Canadian is about 180lbs.
Budget wise, as long as i feel i got a deal i'm happy.
Days? as in how many days riding? Hopefully a long weekend every month. New work schedule will determine that.
I saw lots of boarders on sleds in Golden, just thought a good way to kill 2 birds and that.

Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated and keep it coming.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If I was jumping back into sledding right now again today, like a did a few years back after not having a sled for a number of years I would likely only change the way I went about buying a "new" sled after having a great used sled for a few seasons.

My first crack at a new sled was from a dealer that was local and I felt would be able to give me great servies. Turns out that wasn't the case. The dealer I deal with now, even though many people do not have great luck at that particular dealer, takes care of me.

Make sure to build a good relationship with whatever dealer/brand you go with. Reading on this forum is a great help. One of my favorite forums is this site. Even though many people are brand loyal and it makes for great debates and controversy we are all pretty much friends at the end of the day and if you ever encounter just about any of them on the hill and need a lending hand, sledders are second to none when it comes to helping out.

Your only limit to riding is the amount of time and money you are willing to invest into it. If you are willing to travel and make new friends you will have lots of chances to get out and ride.

Already lots of good info posted. Good luck.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if u want easy happy fun with no "issues" buy a 4 stroke, think yamy
if you want to scare the ch!t out of your self think 2 stroke.
if you want agility, think polaris or artic cat or skidoo to a lesser extent.
if you want to break down lots think artcicat.
my buddies sled snowboard tandom everywhere on an 2003 RX1 yamy and it is rock solid and doesnt break and gets everywhere except super deep pow. you sound like you want ski/snowboard. all sleds have their pro's and con's. tell us wot u plan to do your wieght, your budget, how many days.
a turbo m8 will change your life if you can pay to play and dealing with the greif will make u cry

I think he wants something to ride.

Not something to ride him like a yamasqua

One thing I 'd say is go our for a weekend and rent a doo, a poo , and a kitty.

Then make Ur mind up.

sent from my htc

Shadam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if your a snowboarder keep in touch with me. its wot we do. if you've got the coin, go turbo nitro and you truely will get the best of my 2 fav sportz with minimal fuss and an orsum sled. we have a nitro in our crew and will be happy to help a good guy join the crew. this invite goes out to everyone, except we discriminate against skiers setting foot on our sleds.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
afraid of being shown up???????

if your a snowboarder keep in touch with me. its wot we do. if you've got the coin, go turbo nitro and you truely will get the best of my 2 fav sportz with minimal fuss and an orsum sled. we have a nitro in our crew and will be happy to help a good guy join the crew. this invite goes out to everyone, except we discriminate against skiers setting foot on our sleds.

NoLimits

Reaction score
Tex78, Whats wrong with getting ridden now and again eh?

Shadam, for sure i'll keep in touch, need a good crew to get in trouble with!

dirtbiker77

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dirtbiker77, I think i'll do some shopping around and get as much info then make a decision of my own, then if its wrong its my fault haha.
And i'll probably wait out till december, earn some more pennies.

JRB15, thanks for the link, it goes slightly off topic, but i might give T Team a call/visit.

Shadam, I like to scare the ch!t out of myself, but not into all the work that goes with a 2 stroke. Surely a 4 stroke has more torque for the deep stuff no?
My weight is 13 stone which in Canadian is about 180lbs.
Budget wise, as long as i feel i got a deal i'm happy.
Days? as in how many days riding? Hopefully a long weekend every month. New work schedule will determine that.
I saw lots of boarders on sleds in Golden, just thought a good way to kill 2 birds and that.

Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated and keep it coming.

well heres the deal, yamaha's are your go to 4 stroke. ya you will never have to really wrench on it but..... everyone can be honest there heavy as hell they ride like a bus and if you want to buy brand new make sure your wallet is deep cause your going to have to dump more money into them to make them enjoyable. turbo and track the whole nine yards to make a 4 stroke equal to any of the 3 2 strokes. and plus what you may think is a pain in the a$$ 2 stroke isnt anymore. add gas and oil and go. they have come so far, sure a top end in its time but your talking 2000-2500km and top ends are something a guy can do without an issue.

my tip is to shop and look at all the pros and cons, write them down if you see the same thing twice. people always have something to complain ablout so dont believe everything thats stated. but for a two stroke stay away from engine mods if you want to keep peice of mind. stock is fine now a days till you get a season or two under the belt.

check into varda's new hill for boarding and stuff, valemount will be having an awesome set up this year. Curtis is an awesome dude. :beer:

if ya need help looking things up on sleds send me a pm ill help ya out. did a lot of research on the brands this summer before i bought my sled.

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
too bad the german had to buy the Ymir hotel ... i sure miss those biker days .

OMGOSH Willy.. He is the kindest most gentle wonderful man... full of laughter and humor. He LOVES seeing my kids and I.. we always try to get him on a sled or a side by side. He simply basques in the music that the people bring to that bar each week. I never experienced the biker days of that bar, but I am so thankful to be a part of the cool stuff going on now. I played side by side with 2 Nashville hall of famers.
The "Old German" is a wonderful man.

OOC ZigZag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rent all 4 brands and pick your fav pretty simple. If you pick a Yammi it will require the diet and a turbo. Talk to Rene at eagle valley lodge he has a few and you can rent a turbo Yammi from Over The Top Rentals in Calgary I know ur in e town but Over the top is the only one I know that rents a Yammi turbo setup. Good luck with whatever you get and enjoy its the most fun ya can have with ur clothes on.:beer::)

Top Bottom