Ethanol fuel causing problems?

Hillbilly64

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I never searched any posts about this subject, and I am sure there are many folks wiser than me about it, but here goes.
Had to take my 2007 800 Renegade to the dealer to have the carbs soaked and cleaned up. The reason I was told is that the ethanol in the fuel is gumming things up when the sled sits over the summer. I asked how many they had done this year, the answer was 35. I went to another dealer to get a belt and they had done 40. Dropped off my son's Polaris at a dealer and they had done about 30 sleds as well.
I asked if there was an additive that I could put in to prevent this and was told no. There is nothing out there that will stop the enzymes from growing in the carbs over the summer.
So my cost was close to 400$ for this work. They are making a killling doing numerous machines.
Anyone have any ideas on how to prevent having to take the machines in for this work? I am no mechanic and sure don't want to be paying this every year, I also have three machines.
Thanks

scott 259

Reaction score
Ethanol can cause alot trouble, First off it is Ethyl Alcohol which we found out back in the late 70s-early 80s it "Cleans". All the crap in the tank and fuel system break loose stop at the smallest point (not always the filter),ha,ha, it also attracts moisture and holds water in suspension. Over time ethanol will seperate from the fuel, now you get a tank with a layer of water on the bottom, then ethanol, then fuel. Due to process in making ethanol it has sulfate which is acidic and eats away components ie: aluminun,pot metal, steel, etc, over time it will Cost Big Bucks.Standard fuel stabiliser dont work on the corrosive part. Yamaha spent some big bucks to study and resolve the problem. They came up with... "Fuel Med R X"..., its suppose to be the S_ _ t to prevent all the nasty stuff. I guess time will tell.
Scott

Last edited:

brian h

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
keep your fuel tank full during the summer and start up your sled a couple times during the summer,whenever i do this i have no problem.did not do this last summer and had problems where i had to clean the carbs

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Make sure the last tank of fuel is non ethanol and add stabilizer. Shell gold states on the pump that it does not contain ethanol....

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i run premiun fuel in all the quads,bikes,sleds,chainsaw and generator to avoid ethonal shell and esso i believe do not have ethanol in there premium fuel

rgashkei

Reaction score
Also, learn how to clean your carbs yourself. Not really that difficult and gives you a reason to play with the sled before the snow flies.

Top Bottom