ETEC rebuild = Successful

mareshow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I rebuilt My motor I have about 4000 km on my turbo, and I must admit it was a relatively easy rebuild. As far as piston condition and cylinders, they were all fantastic. I probably could have lasted the rest of the season, Reeds however probably not haha.

Here are some Pics:

DSC_0461_zps1fb2ffd9.jpg

DSC_0473_zps0d057c59.jpg

cylinders were fantastic, no marks or grooves just baby bottom smooth

DSC_0471_zps47e518f8.jpg

Pistons are a little burnt but nothing too serious was expecting worse to be honest

DSC_0469_zps054d902a.jpg

Reeds were.... missing some pieces lol

DSC_0468_zps35cb5b1b.jpg

De laminating a little bit, these are the original stock reeds though so.... I'm happy :)

All in all it was fairly simple total take down and rebuild time was approx 9 hours. (3 take down and 6 to put back together). we did take our time though so probably could go faster the next time.

Once back together it started first pull and didnt knock at all! which i was super impressed about :). Techs told me to expect it to make some noise, I guess i lucked out.

We'll see how she performs in the high altitude in Montana next week. First ride out :) will report back then!

mareshow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
cool thanks,

were you seing any performace issues with the reeds like that?

Yes actually, not all the time but sometimes at full throttle I noticed the rpm would flutter around a bit. That and it was starting to lag sometimes as well. Not any more though :)

mareshow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
pull the secondary alot more room and way better for the install for pinching the rings

With two guys it was not difficult at all actually so we left the secondary on in fact we didn't even remove the y pipe. Both rings went into place first try

Sent from my C6506 using Tapatalk

summit1974

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i got to test ride a TSS Turbo the other day….i have to start saving some money!!!!BrAAAAAP!!!!!

mareshow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
UPDATE:

Rode My Sled in Montana for a week. Turned the boost all the way down the first day (which is still about 4lbs btw) and then slowly turned it up for the next few days. Back to Normal now and wow does it feel and sound good! My only complaint is that my sled does not like to idle when its cold on start up (i have to constantly bounce the throttle to keep it running) But once its warm it idles fine. Ideas? It was about -20 for most of the week but the sled was parked in the garage at the house we rented (not heated but about -5 i would say)

flabbajabba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
could i add two questions
1) whos turbo what pounds do you normally run
2) What fuel do you use (av etc)?
pistons look awesome for 4k turbo!

mareshow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can I ask which pistons you used? Stock or aftermarket? I'm in the same boat now.

Sent while on double bubble.

Go with stock ones, they aren't actually that expensive. that's what i'm currently using

could i add two questions
1) whos turbo what pounds do you normally run
2) What fuel do you use (av etc)?
pistons look awesome for 4k turbo!

I am usually running 6-8 lbs on my turbo more often 8 lbs haha

I've been using 100% av gas from Brandon petroleum in edmonton, they sell it by the barrel for an awesome deal, would definitely recommend!

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes actually, not all the time but sometimes at full throttle I noticed the rpm would flutter around a bit. That and it was starting to lag sometimes as well. Not any more though :)

The lag was likely caused by the cracked reeds. Cracked reeds seldom deter top end performance unless the cracked debris is somehow keeping the reeds from opening all the way.

Looks great for the miles you've got on it.

Mine's coming up on 2000- 2300 boosted miles on it with no problems. I rebuilt over the summer (after 1300 miles) and my pistons looked great as well. I will likely do the crank and pistons this summer just for piece of mind!

Dooitorbust

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My sled has 2200km and boosted since 1400 and scuffed the PTO side. I run 75% Av at 7-8psi. Wish I could have gotten those kind of miles!
I'll be sending my jugs to CV Tech for an exchange and will probably go stock with my pistons.

Dooitorbust

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My sled has 2200km and boosted since 1400 and scuffed the PTO side. I run 75% Av at 7-8psi. Wish I could have gotten those kind of miles!
I'll be sending my jugs to CV Tech for an exchange and will probably go stock with my pistons.

Top Bottom