Carmakers tap brakes on EVs

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In all honesty, there’s a big push to make this hydrogen stuff work…

We are involved with a project to fuel Edmonton and Calgary city buses with hydrogen and a semi as well to transport the full trailer to Calgary and empty one back… problem is… we have yet to get the trailer back on the hydrogen semi… the darn thing runs outta fuel by Leduc lol. No joke… we laugh about it but a diesel truck has to get the trailer and bring it to the refinery… just needs a bit more fuel on board I guess…

This is small scale but once it’s proven, it’ll get more backing that the EVs did…

I’m still interested in trying a Plaid mode and getting the DERP face lol

A couple friends have Teslas, none of them say bad things about them… and these aren’t the typical EV crowd. Faster laps around the personal road course race track kinda stuff…

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I dare you to check the numbers yourself and find one that’s wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I got to ask. What’s the appeal to electric for you? I don’t really see a positives right now. Typically cost more (trucks) , range isn’t very good …in my mind until they have a power source that is more capable then gasoline it would be a pita. Just curious.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got to ask. What’s the appeal to electric for you? I don’t really see a positives right now. Typically cost more (trucks) , range isn’t very good …in my mind until they have a power source that is more capable then gasoline it would be a pita. Just curious.

It’s hard to describe. You have to try one for yourself. You don’t have to use the brakes, the power is instant and smooth. Tesla drives the best in my opinion but the other brands are getting better all the time. At home the charging time is less than the time to get fuel. You start every day with 400km range. On a road trip you are going to be a little bit slower than ICE. I would guess that my model 3 was 45 minutes slower (assuming I did not stop the entire trip) than my ram 1ton on a 600km drive in the winter (Lethbridge area to Revelstoke).

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
like you said Johnny, you don't have to use the brakes the same way... another told me after driving one, you realize all the little things we do inherently to accommodate an ICE and transmission.

If you purely look at racing, take pikes peak for instance... not a lot can compete with the EV race stuff. Even that electric dirt bike was making progress in "straight rhythm" and had potential.

I have a good chuckle at the FORD Lightning plugged into the refinery parking lot lol

Levithan

Reaction score
Ev's will flat out, not work with our current technology level.
Working in the automotive industry, i knew this was going to be a failure from the beginning.
I agree we need to help cut emissions and stop screwing up the earths atmosphere.
We also need to stop depleting it natural resources and poisoning the ground.
Trying to make millions of batteries for ev's is not feasible or possible at this time.
We do not have the resources, and the pollution created from trying to get these materials is insanely harmful to the planet, but no one seams to care about that?????
Ev's also don't have the range (again, we don't have the technology at this time) if i buy, let's say a lightning, with maybe a 500km range unloaded.
I now hook up my aluminum 4 place flat deck trailer (light) with 4 sleds (lets say 3500lbs) gear and 4 guys (say another 1500-2000lbs) my range is now maybe 150-200kms tops and it's in vehicle estimate on mileage is not accurate at that.
O and i forgot to add, IT'S COLD AND WINTER, so now maybe even less range.
How am i supposed to make it anywhere to sled??????????
Ok guys, let's go to Vale from EDM.
I probably won't make it to Edson, but if i do, i need to charge for 2-3hr with a supercharger( bad for the battery) then i might make it to Hinton for another 2-3hr charge, next stop????? Maybe Jasper???
It will take me 24hrs to make it to Vale.
Then, what do you do if all the chargers are full?? o wait several hrs, great!
During a regular commute(under 100km), a small ev may work day to day but our grid can't support them, proven a few weeks ago with the cold snap when we were asked to conserve power and especially not charge ev's!
This will also happen with heat wave's!
Until they can come up with a synthetic battery that doesn't pollute the earth, charges to full capacity in 5-10mins and gives 500km minimum of range on that charge this ain't gonna work!
Trudouche and his ridicules idea's are killing us and it needs to stop.
At this point in time, Hydrogen is the only feasible alternative that we can easily create and doesn't kill the planet.
The basis for Hydrogen engines is also already there with the internal combustion engine we currently have.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It takes an extra 30 minutes…

70e831023722f7e3664f57afc4476ee8.png

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im hoping they come up with the rubber band car,,, wind it up and away We go...

It seems that first sorce energy is the most practical ,,, but even then it comes at a costs one way or the other...

Maybe the day will come when it's possible too capture 100% of energy used too reap it's full rewards...

The old saying stands true,,, no source of energy is free since it comes at one costs or more over the grand skeem of things...

Got too run,,, its part of my super hero thing burning 7 sorces of energy today too """Hopefully""" make a better or worse World tommrow...
20240206_105147.jpg

Feed the War machine of many unknowns...

Great day all

Burn baby burn...

Don

Last edited:

dizzle

Reaction score
Ok but how is this different than any 1ton diesel hitting the same guard rail?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I agree, but I think its a numbers and odds game. How many more heavy vehicles are on the roads with EVs when they would of been 1500 to 2000 lbs lighter In an ice car.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree, but I think its a numbers and odds game. How many more heavy vehicles are on the roads with EVs when they would of been 1500 to 2000 lbs lighter In an ice car.

A 2023 bmw m3 weighs 3990 lbs.
A 2023 Tesla model 3 long range weighs 4057 lbs.

dizzle

Reaction score
A 2023 bmw m3 weighs 3990 lbs.
A 2023 Tesla model 3 long range weighs 4057 lbs.

Im Not cherry picking this car vs this car. I'm saying In general EV weigh more.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im Not cherry picking this car vs this car. I'm saying In general EV weigh more.

Yeah that’s true. As technology improves EV weight will decrease. Also as technology improves lots of potential accidents will be avoided.

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Both ICE vehicles and EV's have thier place, If you want to drive an EV, great. I for one will not own one in the near future, not until the range / charging situation improves dramatically, where I work there isn't any charging stations handy - not to mention the price of electricity has skyrocketed in recent months. Legislation by our federal government is not in place to benefit the consumer, it is filling the coffers of party contributors and increases revenue via taxes. I already pay more then my fair share of tax to support others, makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside knowing I'm supporting some freeloaders and watching our government give money away to other countries for a photo op and newsprint headline. The comment made about keeping the diesel for towing? There won't be any diesels for sale for the general public if our current government has its way, if you read the news they want us on public transit or riding bicycles in a 15 minute city - fawkin clueless.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yesterday morning while fueling up my truck and sled There was a family juicing up their Tesla, standing around kicking rocks when I pulled in. Fueled up, got my snacks, breakfast used the shitter and they were still kicking rocks in the parking lot at -15 .
The kids didn't seem that happy 😁

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Both ICE vehicles and EV's have thier place, If you want to drive an EV, great. I for one will not own one in the near future, not until the range / charging situation improves dramatically, where I work there isn't any charging stations handy - not to mention the price of electricity has skyrocketed in recent months. Legislation by our federal government is not in place to benefit the consumer, it is filling the coffers of party contributors and increases revenue via taxes. I already pay more then my fair share of tax to support others, makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside knowing I'm supporting some freeloaders and watching our government give money away to other countries for a photo op and newsprint headline. The comment made about keeping the diesel for towing? There won't be any diesels for sale for the general public if our current government has its way, if you read the news they want us on public transit or riding bicycles in a 15 minute city - fawkin clueless.
I prefer 30 minute city. Live at least 30min away from the city.

yesterday morning while fueling up my truck and sled There was a family juicing up their Tesla, standing around kicking rocks when I pulled in. Fueled up, got my snacks, breakfast used the shitter and they were still kicking rocks in the parking lot at -15 .
The kids didn't seem that happy 😁
You used to be able to hit your kids but now you have to make them watch the Tesla charge outside in the cold.

Top Bottom