Estimated Cost for F-350 Replacement Engine

bubs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I found a 2003 Ford F-350 with a 6.0 L thats no good. It needs a new engine and that's it.
Any ideas on what a replacement engine would cost?
Thanks Guys.:beer::beer:

mb1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I found a 2003 Ford F-350 with a 6.0 L thats no good. It needs a new engine and that's it.
Any ideas on what a replacement engine would cost?
Thanks Guys.:beer::beer:

I'd look at auctions.

What's the truck going for? A quick search shows running trucks as low as $8500, so unless you can get the truck for $3k and the engine for $3k and find free labor it might be a lot of work for nothing.

I'm thinking a Cummins swap is your best option. Problem is, the 6.0 needed a new engine, and it got the 6.4...:rolleyes:

bubs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They want 6000 for the truck with 200 000kms on it. I thought i might be able to get a deal on a diesel.
I've been kinda looking for awhile now, where are you finding trucks that cheap MB1?

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
We've done many 6.0l engine exchanges already and even an '08 f350 6.4l diesel exchange...... Not cheap, by any means. Used engines at the autowreckers are around $4000.00+ depending on mileage on the engine..... Good luck!

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They want 6000 for the truck with 200 000kms on it. I thought i might be able to get a deal on a diesel.
I've been kinda looking for awhile now, where are you finding trucks that cheap MB1?

seems like alot of money zender in spruce has a 2005 loaded to the top with 138km on it that they offered to me for 15 000. when you factor in engine cost not much difference an 2 yrs newer

bubs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We've done many 6.0l engine exchanges already and even an '08 f350 6.4l diesel exchange...... Not cheap, by any means. Used engines at the autowreckers are around $4000.00+ depending on mileage on the engine..... Good luck!

Is the 6.0l ford an engine to stay away from if possible or is it reliable if it treated well. I've never had a diesel before, and I'm not looking to hot rod anything, I just need a diesel to pull toys around.
Thanks guys:beer::beer:

Summitric

Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
is the 6.0l ford an engine to stay away from if possible or is it reliable if it treated well. I've never had a diesel before, and i'm not looking to hot rod anything, i just need a diesel to pull toys around.

if you can find a newer low mileage truck, you'll be fine for a while, because the engine has a 160000km warranty. Otherwise, they are notorious for egr coolers leaking, head gaskets leaking, internal oil pump high pressure problems, fuel injector problems, etc, etc....... I had an '04 with 161000 and the head gaskets blew etc..... Seemed to be nothing but problems..... They are fairly troublefree for the first 150000kms, but "can" be trouble after that....... I've also seen a bone stock 6.0l that had 300,000kms trouble free(only one i've seen).............

Transporter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well is the engine blown or does it just need headgaskets and studs put in.If you are replacing the engine make sure put arp studs in and new headgaskets in the other engine before you put it in truck then it will last forever.

mb1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is the 6.0l ford an engine to stay away from if possible or is it reliable if it treated well. I've never had a diesel before, and I'm not looking to hot rod anything, I just need a diesel to pull toys around.

What Summitric said. For what you're looking to do I'd consider a Cummins truck.

Some of the 6.0's were good, run hard and can even handle extra power, but there are a lot of them that had tons of problems. Do a search on the legal battle that's been ongoing between Ford and International ( they make the 6.0 ) They've been sueing each other and Ford has been trying to get out of their deal for a long time. They've lost a lot of customers over those motors. I believe Ford will be making their own diesel in house in the next few years, the Scorpion 6.7 or something.

Summitric

Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
what summitric said. For what you're looking to do i'd consider a cummins truck.

Some of the 6.0's were good, run hard and can even handle extra power, but there are a lot of them that had tons of problems. Do a search on the legal battle that's been ongoing between ford and international ( they make the 6.0 ) they've been sueing each other and ford has been trying to get out of their deal for a long time. They've lost a lot of customers over those motors. I believe ford will be making their own diesel in house in the next few years, the scorpion 6.7 or something.

yup..... You are right...... I would also consider the gm's..... Seem pretty good on longevity too, and can make lots of power as well.

Zar

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A buddy of mine has had several 6.0 L and he mentioned that the 6.0L in the 2006.5 and newer were better and more reliable than the 6.0L prior to mid 2006 models. I am not sure if anyone else has heard of this as well.

redrum

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 2006 6.0 that blew with 1500kms on it... That correct 1500!!! Had it less than a week and it was being towed back to Ford... Took six weeks to get a new replacement motor due to the dispute between Ford and IHC. Ford blamed it on a piece of casting slag that broke away but, who really knows what the real story is... Second motor has 133000kms now and seems to be trouble free. I plan on keeping the truck for awhile yet so I can`t wait to see what happens when I hit that magic 160000km mark...:confused:

redrum

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
GET RID OF IT BEFORE THE 160000KMS IS UP.......:eek:

LOL wish I could!!!! Prices of the new Super Duty`s sure haven`t come down much... Thinking it still may be worth it to do a motor if needed since the rest of the truck is still mint...

Summitric

Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
lol wish i could!!!! Prices of the new super duty`s sure haven`t come down much... Thinking it still may be worth it to do a motor if needed since the rest of the truck is still mint...

actually probably worth your while to replace with used, if it ever came down to that..... There are lots of low mileage used ones out there... But, hopefully you've got one of the "good" engines.........

Top Bottom