Emergency Rescue Plans... Do You Have One?

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Yes, there are a lot of horror stories out there and nearly every ride I could find some. I used to stop and talk to most groups but I don't normally doo that anymore cause they generally get pissed off and tell me to mind my own business. So be it!

Peeps riding dangerous avalanche chutes (the chutes beside it have come down), peeps with no beacons, etc., single sleds, peeps in over their heads, and I could go on and on.

Someone has to know the general area where you are riding; not the specifics but generally where you will be as we cover a lot of ground. I strongly recommend everybody that uses the back-country carry a SPOT. Let's say there are 3-4 in a group and one SPOT, that rider gets buried with an avalanche....get the picture! The SPOT isn't fool proof and it isn't guaranteed but it is a good tool under proper conditions.

I used a big back-pack (36 liters) before this year and found it was too big for me. I now have a 15l ABS and as my good buddy giddyup says, there isn't enough room to carry the essentials. I will be getting the 25l zip-on for the Vario. It is in-between and will work just fine. With survival gear, first-aid gear, extra gloves, extra fleece, and other essentials the room is necessary. Carrying essentials on the sled, as mentioned above, isn't the best idea as you can get separated from your gear.

A lot of the younger generation expect their cell phones to work. There are a lot of staging areas where they don't pick up a signal let alone work in the back-country. They are lost without them and even the ones that have the GPS app on them won't work if there isn't a visual of the satellite; you may be in the heavy trees or behind a large rock (usually called a mountain).

If one is riding in the back-country doo they have the numbers for helicopter companies, doo they have their VISA number handy? Search and rescue does not charge for rescue but they doo not extricate sleds. I read somewhere above that BB carries 800' of rope! Seems a little over kill but that is what he seems may be necessary, so be it.

Mother Nature can be vicious and many times she is. She teaches lessons that usually hurt. I ran across a guy, with a 10 year old son, one sled, and one snow board. He was stuck. He was at least 20 kms up a mountain from his truck riding a cut-block. All he had to doo was hit a stump, go over the bars and hurt himself and find a ski torn off. They would be in grave danger. We helped him out and wished him good luck with his riding.

Barry Barton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes, there are a lot of horror stories out there and nearly every ride I could find some. I used to stop and talk to most groups but I don't normally doo that anymore cause they generally get pissed off and tell me to mind my own business. So be it!

Peeps riding dangerous avalanche chutes (the chutes beside it have come down), peeps with no beacons, etc., single sleds, peeps in over their heads, and I could go on and on.

Someone has to know the general area where you are riding; not the specifics but generally where you will be as we cover a lot of ground. I strongly recommend everybody that uses the back-country carry a SPOT. Let's say there are 3-4 in a group and one SPOT, that rider gets buried with an avalanche....get the picture! The SPOT isn't fool proof and it isn't guaranteed but it is a good tool under proper conditions.

I used a big back-pack (36 liters) before this year and found it was too big for me. I now have a 15l ABS and as my good buddy giddyup says, there isn't enough room to carry the essentials. I will be getting the 25l zip-on for the Vario. It is in-between and will work just fine. With survival gear, first-aid gear, extra gloves, extra fleece, and other essentials the room is necessary. Carrying essentials on the sled, as mentioned above, isn't the best idea as you can get separated from your gear.

A lot of the younger generation expect their cell phones to work. There are a lot of staging areas where they don't pick up a signal let alone work in the back-country. They are lost without them and even the ones that have the GPS app on them won't work if there isn't a visual of the satellite; you may be in the heavy trees or behind a large rock (usually called a mountain).

If one is riding in the back-country doo they have the numbers for helicopter companies, doo they have their VISA number handy? Search and rescue does not charge for rescue but they doo not extricate sleds. I read somewhere above that BB carries 800' of rope! Seems a little over kill but that is what he seems may be necessary, so be it.

Mother Nature can be vicious and many times she is. She teaches lessons that usually hurt. I ran across a guy, with a 10 year old son, one sled, and one snow board. He was stuck. He was at least 20 kms up a mountain from his truck riding a cut-block. All he had to doo was hit a stump, go over the bars and hurt himself and find a ski torn off. They would be in grave danger. We helped him out and wished him good luck with his riding.
I carry 800' plus sometimes and 4 pullies to help pull a person out or a sled if needed and I can do this by myself if needed. But the group I ride with stay fairly close so I don't expect on needing it but u never know. I helped get a young fellow a few years ago who went of the end of the world at the chappel and all I had was 50' then and it took several groups to get enough rope to reach down to him. He was over 300' down and this is why I carry this much rope and I usualy hand out a 100' or more per year because alot of groups don't even have a tow rope.This rope and the pullies fit under the seat of my m8 with room for more if I want so this is the reason I carry 800' of rope because u never know.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I carry 800' plus sometimes and 4 pullies to help pull a person out or a sled if needed and I can do this by myself if needed. But the group I ride with stay fairly close so I don't expect on needing it but u never know. I helped get a young fellow a few years ago who went of the end of the world at the chappel and all I had was 50' then and it took several groups to get enough rope to reach down to him. He was over 300' down and this is why I carry this much rope and I usualy hand out a 100' or more per year because alot of groups don't even have a tow rope.This rope and the pullies fit under the seat of my m8 with room for more if I want so this is the reason I carry 800' of rope because u never know.

how much of the 800 ft of rope do you carry on your sled and what type of rope? any pics of rescue set up. i was just looking at the 3 point rope hookup on another site very interesting.

4x4racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow good read no bashing just great helpfully info almost what snow and mud used to be .
My group has some new riders so it's tamed two of us who used to be the team way down what we do is ride one area over and over get to know it and slowly work farther so they learn where they are we run gps ,radios, but u b surprised how much we look for a few of them , so now we set a base and play in that area but always hit home base if someone doesn't return at least we know there close and I mostly go find . My avy pack sucks big time for space but still could spend two nights , the guy I have been riding with the longest if just we go out its blows me away how much ground we cover and never loose track , I have ditched ppl over lack of confidence weather it was drinking,littering,ability. One of my first times on bolder in socked in so bad I head no idea where I was and that happened so fast I didn't even know it was happening scared me. Learned quick how to be prepared got my first aid avy training gps radio spot tell wife where I going map my plan on google earth for her . I see so many ppl that are blind to the danger there every time I ride .I was in hope a few years ago when a slide hit a group never seen anything just heard about it later I have thought about that day a lot and still do just keeps me aware and on my toes.
3 of the 4 of us are hd mechanics should see some of our rigging to get smashed stuff out . If u are new to mountain riding please hire a guide take a corse start slow

Reactions: RGM

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I tell my wife where I am staging. I also tell her that the first SPOT message she will get from me during the day is where the staging area is. The last message she gets will be at the same location to let her know I'm back and OK before I get to cell service. Those Spot messages also go to my brother. Most times he is riding with me but it's already setup just in case. I also let her know what the license plate number is for the vehicle I'm riding in. It's one of the questions the RCMP will ask.
The guys I ride with are very resourceful and between all of us, I'm sure we can handle most situations. We talk a lot more about avy conditions and where to ride than when I first started with them and I'm happy that everyone really considers everyone's opinions. The Spot messenger is there for really bad situations and letting my wife know I'm OK through out the day. I carry a fair amount of gear and I'm always adding more. Climbing rope is on my list.

Top Bottom