Emergency Rescue Plans... Do You Have One?

powderpilot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone has something set up within their club, or riding group when someone needs help on the mountain?

Do you tell people other than who you are with where you are going? Do you have people you can count on if help is needed?

I'm seeing more and more people riding solo, or riding outside of the rest of the group's ability. There were three that I know of in our club area yesterday, one had nothing but beer in his pack and had abandoned his stuck sled and started walking off the mountain. There have been two Search and Rescue missions in the last two weeks, one kid spent the night in the cold.

If anyone has any ideas it would help. Thnx.

powderpilot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What gets me is the cavalier attitude. I found a guy in the trees yesterday that was looking for the trail out. I asked him to put a note on the board at the cabin on the way out and he looked at me like my head was on upside down.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
What gets me is the cavalier attitude. I found a guy in the trees yesterday that was looking for the trail out. I asked him to put a note on the board at the cabin on the way out and he looked at me like my head was on upside down.

Unfortunatly(sp).... I think we will always encounter that kind of attitude, in our recreational motor sports :(

Johnny

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ran into a couple guys yesterday so far away from a club tenure that didnt know where they where or really even going, on asking them how the hell they got to where they came across my group they responded they had been "directed" there by a dealership person....... but they didnt know where to go....... Completely irresponsible on any one trying to be a " tour info guide " to strangers to the area with little to no gear visible. Promote sledding in your own tenured area if thats whats wanted, not sending people into never never land thinking its cool.... Im not impressed and will be making a few calls.

powderpilot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The group of people I ride with are great. When heading up the trail or going to wherever, it's always an experienced guy in the lead, rookies (me being one of them) in the middle and experienced guy in the back.

We practice this too. Most experienced is not necessarily the best rider, but there are lots of things people can bring to the table. Terrain knowledge, communication skills etc.

I've started letting people that aren't riding know where I'm going and what channel I am on. I have a handful of people that I know I can count on if we need to pull off a rescue. We are linked up on GPS. I've also started stocking fuel and other provisions at home.

Last edited:

Johnny

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A big issue I see is that SARS doesnt have the skills (sledding) to get into extreme areas, furthermore with the crazy (extreme shifts) mountain weather its a hazard to put rescue people into out of tenured areas where really short of a helicopter day search, looking around at night or in storm conditions can be very dangerous, and what may be accessible today is not tomorrow. Riding with a solid group that has local knowledge and mountain gear is a good plan, as with checking the four day local weather forecast, to tune in your gear bag and clothing. Most of the areas I ride have no cell service or very limited communication available (hand held radios only work for a short distance). A list of sled contacts for your partner to call that knows your skills and riding area is also a good plan should SARS need to help you and needs further info on where you might be.

Last edited:

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I always have my pack with some good survival stuff, my GPS and my SPOT, but realistically I should be telling my wife or others where we are riding that day and so on. when i can afford it, i will get a sat phone too. Id also like to take first aid again and some other first responders/survival classes when I can

struglin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
when were in a group of 3 or more best guy in front second best in the back we travel acording to conditions and my wife always knows where were riding and what to do if i dont report back

teamgreen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My group had a few riders that had no idea of backcountry hazards. I am re-evaluating who I ride with.

I am by no means prepared to spend multiple nights in the backcountry, but I would be able to spend one, and also have the knowledge and skills to stay alive. One of the best courses I was ever in was a winter survival course that I did in Fort McMurray, it was a requirement in order to ride in the chopper for medi-vacs.

bhowes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ran into a couple guys yesterday so far away from a club tenure that didnt know where they where or really even going, on asking them how the hell they got to where they came across my group they responded they had been "directed" there by a dealership person....... but they didnt know where to go....... Completely irresponsible on any one trying to be a " tour info guide " to strangers to the area with little to no gear visible. Promote sledding in your own tenured area if thats whats wanted, not sending people into never never land thinking its cool.... Im not impressed and will be making a few calls.
ya I rn into 2 guys yesterday completely turned around and not sure how to get back to their truck fueled them up and sent them on their way hope they made it back but totally unprepared one guy no helmit no back pack no gear
No common sense hope they made it back ok offered money 5 times and finally on offer #6 I took it but really guys you think a hundred bucks good value for help but invest it next on extra fuel some gear a map and compass then you won't get shear panic

SavageCanuck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I thought I might be spending some time in the bush.I am the lead rider and know my area well.it was a great day sun and a foot of fresh. We pushed a little too far and buddy's xp ran out first,he only had about 4l in his Jerry can. We were still in the backcountry miles from main trail. Not long after he was out again so I put about 5l of my spare 10 in his.I was starting to worry a bit as I new I was getting low,and soon ran out myself.I rationed again and put about 2l in my sled.the 3rd guy in our group on a 700cfi had not run out but had no extra fuel.soon after we made it to a main but no frequently used trail.a few more clicks up the trail where another well used one meets the xp was out again.I then used what was left to add some to the xp and a little to mine.I saved enough to lite a fire if needed.we then all made it to the main chalet but all on fumes,at least we would not freeze.I then had all of us ride a little further as a lot of riders bypass the chalet heading back and then we waited.it took about an hour and 4 groups I flagged down till someone had a jerry can full. I gladly gave him $20 and a handshake and rationed it between all 3 sleds.about 2 clicks from the parking lot the 700 ran out and the 2cups I saved for a fire got him back.we got back late I had enough fuel for myself personally but I had to keep us all together. The guy on the xp said he would have just dumped all the fuel in the first one that ran out.not me I hunt and spend a lot of time in the bush and have good bush smarts.you have to be prepared

giddyup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We ride with the most experianced rider up front, and then the weak. We always have one or two good riders bringing up the back, never ride with more that four or five at most. we never have a fuel issue, we have talked about it and all packed survival equpment, with our group we all laugh, we are all prepared to spend the night, not to survive but to be comfortable out there. i have my pack set up so that if im ever separated from my sled, i have all my survival gear with me, not on the sled. our group is an avid outdoor group, we have opened up our packs and talked as a group about what we carry and why, trying to carry the what we need but as light as possible, i could fill a 55lt pack with things i want to carry but i cant carry that much, our group ride with bags ranging from 25lt to 40lt, i know i cant put it all in a 15lt. I hope this topic makes a few groups take a serious look at how they are set up, its also one think to set stranded in the backcountry, are you ready for an medical emergency

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am referred to as the "pack rat". I always carry fuel even though I don't use it, and have enough survival equipment stored in my backpack and on my sled to spend 4 days in the alpine. I carry a fully stocked first aid kit, and know how to use it. Not much into GPS, but starting to use one now - still keep a compass in my backpack along with flagging tape & aerial flares. Most of the time it is only two in my group, but someone always knows where we are riding, and a call is placed once off the mountain. 50lbs of gear that may save your life is actually pretty light to carry if you ever need it...
Take a winter survival course, enroll in 1st aid, and carry the tools and equipment you NEED to survive in the backcountry. Just my 2 cents

Barry Barton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm also a pack rat I carry 2l of water cupasoup and lots of granola bars plus a cooking pan for camping small and compact, also first aid kit, road flrares and a first aid kit.We all carry fuel in for each sled plus 800' of rope and pulleys for getting peaple out if needed, a big bonous is two of the boys are firefights with extra training, I also have first aid and artic survival from the millitary. Our main rule is if we can't get everyone into a area no one goes and if were not to sure of a area we don't go plus if we are playing on a hill alot of times I will sit on a bluff or a ridge and watch the sleds i'm the old fart so I don't ride as hard as the youg guys do but I keep a eye on them as they watch out for me. We are also goig to look at buying the garmin rhino 650 which I think it will help us to keep trackt of each other when we get sepperated in the trees which has happened so we are adding more safety gear as we start to ride farther back into the mountains. We have helped lots of peaple in the mountains and I find that up their everyone helps everyone and thats what makes it such a great sport.

giddyup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have been using the rino radios for a few years, they work great, we ride a steep tree trail in to one of our riding areas, it's great to communicate to the rest of the group when the trailis clear, great for finding your buddy stuck in a tree, The key think is carrying the stuff and knowing how to use it, last couple of years we have tried to pack a bit smarter, pack was getting way to heavy

thunder44

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree with all above posts but especially KNOW HOW TO USE YOUR EQUIPMENT. I am a first aid instructor and teach my classes that no matter how much first aid equipment you have with you , you still need to be able to use the basics. You do not need a bunch of first aid equipment to save lives. Just some basics and sometimes be able to think outside the box. If you ride in the back country you should take an outdoor survival course. They are focused not only on first aid but survival. Research the place you are taking the course as this is not a certified courses and anyone can teach this.So buyer beware!! I could go on and on about people being ripped off for courses but I think you all get the idea.

This is a great topic to get people thinking!!!!!!

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We sign the sheets at where we are staying stating where we plan to ride and what time we expectto be back. + we text the same info to our wifes. And we stick to it. Then if we do run into trouble, and we did last year. The group splits the faster riders will run down to call for help the rest stay with the injured. And for bush riding I always pack my GPS. And my backpack weighs about 90lbs but if ever needed I got it.

powderpilot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I live at the bottom of our main riding area here, and get quite a few calls throughout the year to help with different needs.

Last call out was to help find a kid that had dropped down a ravine, and his dad had to come off the hill without him. We looked for him until 2:30 or so, but Search and Rescue called us back.

I put together an emergency pack so I can grab it and go if I need to get out quickly. I still need a few things, but this is what I have so far:

More first aid gear and a splint
more tools
tarp
flares
bear bangers
snow shoes
extra radios
extra beacon
down jacket
gloves
sock
food and water
flashlights

I already carry lots of tools, first aid, and survival equipment on me, plus 50' of rope

Weirboondocking

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
To start with someone always knows were we are going and when we will be back. I always call them and let them know we are out, if you don't they will not worry when you are in need and didn't call. I also know most of our backcountry very well so people tell me were they are going and when they will be back. I have way to much stuff in my bag but, I know I will be in good shape if I have to spend a night. Surviving isn't good enough for me, I want to be as comfortable as I can be.

Simply letting someone know were you are and having the stuff to have a good fire, some warm dry cloths, warm drinks and something to eat can make a world of difference.

Top Bottom