Edmonton 2011 Indy Dead

OverBore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
CBC news is reporting the Indy event will not happen in 2011. This will certainly disappoint some people on this site.

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
Gotta laugh at this retarded city council we have. You don't think closing the airport will affect the indy or all the long term leases that are in place right now at the airport. I don't care one way or the other if it stays open or not but it's gonna cost edmontonians a lot of tax dollars to put to bed.

I amazed that they didn't see this coming. :nono::nono: This isn't even the half of it yet.

Scuba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it's like a taxpayer money black hole that is finally gone...:d:d looks like your gonna have to see the bootie shorts of the amsoil girls somewhere else..

badss

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I went the first 2 years and after that...no way....pee cans running over and having to walk through that mess to go to the bathrroom...think not! and I am a motorsports freak. I am not sure of the mechanics that caused this to fail but in a round a bout way....the taxpayers of Edmonton (I feel) should not have been put on the hook for the millions of dollars of taxpayers money being used for the benefit of the entire city including the businesses that profited hugely. Ultimatly Edmonton does loose out as it brings in millions...in fact much more than it costs in the shortfall. Remember thou that the organizers didn't want to open their books and why? I think and its only my opinion that if maybe the benefactors of the Indy (hotels, eateries, etc etc.) had made up some of the shortfall and had the organizers threw all their cards on the table it may have turned out different. One thing I hated was that it wasn't a track that was built and they could improve on. Think of all the wasted money in setting up and tearing down every year?! Too bad they couldn't have approached Castrol Raceway and made an additon to the track or factility already in-place and maybe ...just maybe we could have gone back to the glory days of being the motorsports capital of Canada like when we had Speedway Park back in the 70's....those were the days! Too bad thou really....anytime you loose an International event such as the Indy or any other big time event...the city and the whole area loses. Those types of International events bring the world to your door in advertising and many other ways... and put a dollar value on that!

Last edited:

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
I went the first 2 years and after that...no way....pee cans running over and having to walk through that mess to go to the bathrroom...thihnk not! and I am a motorsports freak. I am not sure of the mechanics that caused this to fail but in a round a bout way....the taxpayers of Edmonton (I feel) should not have been put on the hook for the millions of dollars of taxpayers money being used for the benefit of the entire city including the businesses that profited hugely. Ultimatly Edmonton does loose out as it brings in millions...in fact much more than it costs in the shortfall. Remember thou that the organizers didn't want to open their books and why? I think and its only my opinion that if maybe the benefactors of the Indy (hotels, eateries, etc etc.) had made up some of the shortfall and had the organizers threw all their cards on the table it may have turned out different. One thing I hated was that it wasn't a track that was built and they could improve on. Think of all the wasted money in setting up and tearing down every year?! Too bad they couldn't have approached Castrol Raceway and made an additon to the track or factility already in-place and maybe ...just maybe we could have gone back to the glory days of being the motorsports capital of Canada like when we had Speedway Park back in the 70's....those were the days! Too bad thou really....anytime you loose an International event such as the Indy or any other big time event...the city and the whole area loses. Those types of International events bring the world to your door in advertising and many others ways... and put a dollar value on that!

Castrol Raceway was part of the discussions right from the beginning when they were doing the Cascar events - the roadblock was the cost of building the new track, they wanted the event holders/city to buck up for the cost of the track but Castrol Raceway would still own and control the track and much of the money coming into the event. This was not acceptable to the other parties as they wanted more control. If the event failed the only winner would have been Castrol Raceway with a brand new road course to use.

Recently those talks had resumed and Castrol Raceway was being considered to hold the event in the future.

badss

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
good points....there is a ton of knowledge out at Castrol with Ron Hodgson and a bunch of others out there....would be way cool if they could get that happening and make it work for sure. Maybe they have a plan "B" as that first proposal went away ....way too fast! Time'll tell I guess.

Last edited:

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
good points....there is a ton opf knowledge out at Castrol with Ron Hodgson and a bunch of others out there....would be way cool if they could get that happening and make it work for sure. Maybe they have a plan "B" as that first proposal went away ....way too fast! Time'll tell I guess.

It would be a good move if the event can survive.

Top Bottom