EcoBoost vs 6.2L in a F 150

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
of course the eco boost is gonna use up the fuel when towing so is any truck out there even a diesel! every truck is gonna burn fuel when your foot is in it! my dmax get over 700 on a tank when not on the gas when i'm on it i'm lucky to see over 550 so thats HUGE! The ecoboost has been solid and does work well for towing of course its not a big v8 and wont tow as well as a big v8 but if all you are doing is towing then buy a diesel if you want a solid truck for daily driving,towing,or going on long trips the eco boost is a great choice

Mikew5j

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have an ecoboost '12 my dad also has one '11, and we would both buy another one. He's just pissed that mine came with a 36gal fuel tank

Well I have 1 regret with my 2011. The tank is damn small when towing. Having only a 400-450 km range can be annoying.

And just to add I'm completely happy with how my Eco tows, and I've had lots of experience with diesels.

Last edited:

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
400-450 range isnt that bad for a gasser towing! I know for a fact milton on here gets about that with his dmax hauling his trailer. When i had a nissan titan I pulled a tiny enclosed just big enough for two sleds and some gear and was lucky to see 400. We just chipped one up with the edge evo ht programmer and WOW what a difference 2nd gear punch it and tires get all kinds of buck wild! always fun to be just cruising around at 45-50 km crack the gas and be going sideways especially in a half ton thats pretty good considering it would just start to break the tires loose a bit without the chip

wilsonck

Reaction score
400-450 range isnt that bad for a gasser towing! I know for a fact milton on here gets about that with his dmax hauling his trailer. When i had a nissan titan I pulled a tiny enclosed just big enough for two sleds and some gear and was lucky to see 400. We just chipped one up with the edge evo ht programmer and WOW what a difference 2nd gear punch it and tires get all kinds of buck wild! always fun to be just cruising around at 45-50 km crack the gas and be going sideways especially in a half ton thats pretty good considering it would just start to break the tires loose a bit without the chip

You did the edge evo ht programmer on an EcoBoost? what about intake/exhaust?

xsyourride

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
of course the eco boost is gonna use up the fuel when towing so is any truck out there even a diesel! every truck is gonna burn fuel when your foot is in it! my dmax get over 700 on a tank when not on the gas when i'm on it i'm lucky to see over 550 so thats HUGE! The ecoboost has been solid and does work well for towing of course its not a big v8 and wont tow as well as a big v8 but if all you are doing is towing then buy a diesel if you want a solid truck for daily driving,towing,or going on long trips the eco boost is a great choice
Wow i wish i got that kind mileage out of Dmax. From Morrinville to Hinton 3/4 tank pulling and 1/2 a tank empty on 98L tank doing 110kph. I guess i could include my slip tank and say i can do 1500km.LOL Thats incredable mileage you get!!!

Moose

Reaction score
Has anybody tried premium in their ecoboost? if so how did it work?

Trukker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've had my Ecoboost for about a month now and its no diesel but am impressed for what it is. I need a daily driver and don't pull anything more than an enclosed and camper.Best milage HWY 12 L / per 100 km hwy and around 15 in town. If you plan on towing make sure you get Tow Package with lower gear ratio. Been driving GM's all my life so first Ford for me and I really like truck. A/C seats rock. May have to make a trip to Castle Custom Trucks for some attitude :)

Dragon4x4

Reaction score
Buy Dodge be happy. thats the way i look at it interior is a million times nicer non of those cheap little gay dials, Why is the ford dealership open here is town till 3am for service.. kinda funny really how people keep buying such sh*t. if you want a 1/2 ton thats going to last spend the extra 3k and get a ram or a toyota at least the truck will last 300,000

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Buy Dodge be happy. thats the way i look at it interior is a million times nicer non of those cheap little gay dials, Why is the ford dealership open here is town till 3am for service.. kinda funny really how people keep buying such sh*t. if you want a 1/2 ton thats going to last spend the extra 3k and get a ram or a toyota at least the truck will last 300,000

Not to many 300,000 km Dodge gassers running around out there. They don't hold up for farm use.

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not to many 300,000 km Dodge gassers running around out there. They don't hold up for farm use.

........ I have a ram with very close to 300,000. Have 290,000 on my 03. Haven't touched the engine.

Mind you I drive it very nice too. :D

crossfire879

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

She is old but my uncles farm truck in sask is a 86 dodge 1/2 ton. 318 v8. Last time I was there the odometer read 714xxx kms. She has been rolled, on fire, sunk, hit a couple deer and years of field abuse. Put a transmission in it once, a couple windshields, and wear items like starters and a coil. It burns a nice bit of oil and smokes like a whore on cold start up but it's still goo enough for what we use it for. Not saying this because I am a dodge fan, i am a chev guy and infact i would rather a ford over a dodge I I didn't have a chev but that 86 dodge just won't die.

dezmitchell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

My 05 dodge ram is JUNK!!!! i have lost all faith in the 1500 ram model and would never buy another dodge 1/2 again ....If i were goin diesel i would go for the cummins but i think my next truck will be a eco boost

rondun

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a buddy with a 2011 Ford Ecoboost with 40K on it. Last week he had a problem starting it, It did start but the turbo crattered he tried to drive it to the dealer it then ch!t out the transmission. The dealer fixed the turbo but the trans is the problem. The oil is burned black and the dealer has said its good only a computer problem. I don't know about that!!!

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Love our 2012 eco boost i bought for the wife in Jan. Im actually thinking about giving up the diesel all together.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is something to be said for a real motor to do real work. Lets face it if you want a truck but dont want to burn fuel, then maybe you don't want a truck? The last thing Im gonna trust is a v-6 turbo in a truck with technology that originally comes out of a SUV. It may make good power and be great on fuel for a truck and I know the engine was tweaked for a truck and its set up different in the truck than the SUV but still........... I would choose displacement over some fancy turbo technology any day of the week because at the end of the day it's still just a V6 motor and Im sorry V6's belong in cars and SUV's or fake 1/4 trucks, which really shouldn't be classified as trucks. The 6.2L may burn more fuel but hands down is a better motor and so is the 5.0L as well IMO

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i'm negotiating selling my dmax soon and getting an ecoboost! I love my diesel power and ease of getting power out of it but i have drove a chipped and piped ecoboost and that little halfton moves! I could only imagine it with some upgraded turbos w/billet compressors and some fancy tunning! truck with just the chip makes nearly 430 hp so upgraded turbos and tunning will easily put you in that 500 range wich would be a pretty major contender in the halfton performance industry

Top Bottom