EcoBoost vs 6.2L in a F 150

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is something to be said for a real motor to do real work. Lets face it if you want a truck but dont want to burn fuel, then maybe you don't want a truck? The last thing Im gonna trust is a v-6 turbo in a truck with technology that originally comes out of a SUV. It may make good power and be great on fuel for a truck and I know the engine was tweaked for a truck and its set up different in the truck than the SUV but still........... I would choose displacement over some fancy turbo technology any day of the week because at the end of the day it's still just a V6 motor and Im sorry V6's belong in cars and SUV's or fake 1/4 trucks, which really shouldn't be classified as trucks. The 6.2L may burn more fuel but hands down is a better motor and so is the 5.0L as well IMO
Im very positave most models of trucks come in a V6. I have hade one sled in the back pulling a 3 place trailer with 3 sleds and a 90 gallon fuel tank in it and not even know it was there and still getting 24mpg. I don't care if you think its a junk set up or not, thats impressive. Hands down that little 3.6L V6 is a far better motor then the 5L. There is a reason it was put into trucks ment for towing and hauling.

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im very positave most models of trucks come in a V6. I have hade one sled in the back pulling a 3 place trailer with 3 sleds and a 90 gallon fuel tank in it and not even know it was there and still getting 24mpg. I don't care if you think its a junk set up or not, thats impressive. Hands down that little 3.6L V6 is a far better motor then the 5L. There is a reason it was put into trucks ment for towing and hauling.

The saleswoman at ford suggested against the 3.5L actually. She said of the 3 engines they've had the most problems with the 3.5L. The engine was developed to replace the ranger for small amounts of work, not to be treated like a large displacement engine.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The saleswoman at ford suggested against the 3.5L actually. She said of the 3 engines they've had the most problems with the 3.5L. The engine was developed to replace the ranger for small amounts of work, not to be treated like a large displacement engine.
The ecoboost was designed for towing and hauling, why do you think it has the biggest pay load of the 4 trucks. Believe me when I say I never thought I would own a 1/2 ton truck ever. Ford EcoBoost F150 v6 448AA - Episodes 1-5 - YouTube

northern bear

RIP May 30,2022
Reaction score
There is something to be said for a real motor to do real work. Lets face it if you want a truck but dont want to burn fuel, then maybe you don't want a truck? The last thing Im gonna trust is a v-6 turbo in a truck with technology that originally comes out of a SUV. It may make good power and be great on fuel for a truck and I know the engine was tweaked for a truck and its set up different in the truck than the SUV but still........... I would choose displacement over some fancy turbo technology any day of the week because at the end of the day it's still just a V6 motor and Im sorry V6's belong in cars and SUV's or fake 1/4 trucks, which really shouldn't be classified as trucks. The 6.2L may burn more fuel but hands down is a better motor and so is the 5.0L as well IMO

So your saying you would rather have an inline naturally aspirated six?

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So your saying you would rather have an inline naturally aspirated six?

? Never did say that, do believe I was talking about V-8's and mentioned nowhere that I would prefer a naturally aspirated six. I would prefer naturally aspirated v8 over a v-6 turbo any day. Ecoboost has alot of technology going on under that hood. It'll be fun to see how those motors are holding up after 5 or 6 years of abuse, hauling heavy loads, running in extreme cold temps, etc etc. Buddy of mine just bought one in January and its been in the shop more times than my last three hemi's combined, mostly due to turbo problems. However a few guys at work have them and haven't had any problems yet, but they have only had them for a yearish.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I highly doubt that as some of the guys I work with are struggling to get even 16-18 mpg pulling a 2 place sled trailer with nothing in the back in their eco-boosts. Last fall a few of us went out camping with our holiday trailers in tow and even my 11 hemi was within a 1-2 mpg's of their eco-boosts and all our trailers are roughly 6000-6500 lbs loaded up. And for what they paid for their trucks and what I paid for mine it's gonna take a long time at only a couple mpg's better to recoup those costs. Same options......ish and almost $10000 difference in price? Not worth it IMO

Trukker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i'm negotiating selling my dmax soon and getting an ecoboost! I love my diesel power and ease of getting power out of it but i have drove a chipped and piped ecoboost and that little halfton moves! I could only imagine it with some upgraded turbos w/billet compressors and some fancy tunning! truck with just the chip makes nearly 430 hp so upgraded turbos and tunning will easily put you in that 500 range wich would be a pretty major contender in the halfton performance industry
I'm all about chipping mine but not piped................Nothing appealing to the roar of a 6 cyl:)

Mikew5j

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thought I'd post up my real world experience. I just did my first long distance trip unloaded. Last week I drove from Edmonton to Fairmont and back. I was averaging close to 14 L/100km to Red Deer because of a strong head wind, but my trip average dropped down to 12.3 L/100km by the time I was back in Edmonton. So around town I get 14-15 L/100km (I have a heavy foot). I towed my 27 foot enclosed to Cranbrook/Fernie on 3 sled trips this winter. The truck usually averaged 22-23 L/100km, but closer to 25 with a head wind. I have the Max Tow with 3.73 axles.

This is just my experience so far. Your results may vary.:beer:

gordhunt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So you are getting the same mileage with your eco boost that I get with my 6.2 in my Raptor sounds like the eco boost is a bust

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Moose

Reaction score
seems funny how all the bashers are the guys that drive the other brands and have probably never even drove one. all they can say is my buddy or o guys i work with. like i said in my other posts i love my ecoboost and recommend it to anyone and some info for the guys thats are thinkin of getting one i pulled my 31 bumper pull camper that weighs 11000lbs loaded and it pulled it better than my 96 powerstroke with chip,exhaust,intake and banks intercooler. also went to the city a week ago doing 130km/h with no trailer and got 685km to 95L

BIGFOOT

Reaction score

I run a couple of big irons... But sure like the Eco for my bride.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have actually driven them a bit and even almost bought one. Had it on a test drive for two days and yes it was a nice truck, motor seemed to pull good and was very quiet but at the end of the day I really wasn't to happy about the price for the damn thing. And as for the 130 km/h going to the city getting 685km to 95L, I get that in my hemi all day. Went to Grande Prairie and back two weeks ago at 125-130km/h the whole way, odometer read 588 km and I burnt 81L of fuel, not bad for a 5.7L V8, getting the same mileage as a V6 eco-boost. The Eco-Boosts fuel mileage numbers seem to be a little inflated coming from the factory.

seems funny how all the bashers are the guys that drive the other brands and have probably never even drove one. all they can say is my buddy or o guys i work with. like i said in my other posts i love my ecoboost and recommend it to anyone and some info for the guys thats are thinkin of getting one i pulled my 31 bumper pull camper that weighs 11000lbs loaded and it pulled it better than my 96 powerstroke with chip,exhaust,intake and banks intercooler. also went to the city a week ago doing 130km/h with no trailer and got 685km to 95L

Moose

Reaction score
good for your hemi. i dont recall saying hemis are bad and never buy one, if it wasent for that coil rear suspension i might b drivin one. I believe this forum was started because someone was wondering 6.2 or ecoboost,peeps that have one give there numbers and experiences for peoples can use that as info for themselves but like any other forums when someone is asking for help theres always the diehards to there brands that sit on the internet all day and look for the negative on some thing and then blab it to their friends. before u know it everyone hates it. its the same as sleds, quads, sidexsides. as for anyone buying a ecoboost cuz the factory numbers say 29mpg the better read the fine print cuz thats on a 2 wheel drive pickup at sea level

just sayin

Mikew5j

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So you are getting the same mileage with your eco boost that I get with my 6.2 in my Raptor sounds like the eco boost is a bust

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

It's only a bust if it doesn't perform. You like your Raptor, good on you. It's certainly a nice truck. Knowing my driving habits I probably wouldn't get as good mileage in it as you do. I like my Eco and absolutely don't regret not getting a V8 or getting rid of my diesel. I didn't really believe the mileage hype they put out on the Eco, and maybe that's why I'm not so disappointed (I've never had a vehicle that got the mileage it was supposed to). Driving 110+ with occasional strong head winds I don't think 12.3 average is too bad. If I tried and babied it and had ideal conditions I could see getting down towards 10L/100km on the highway, but that's no fun. I just drive it and get what I get, and that's why I didn't sugar coat my results. There is an alternative to a V8 for those who want to try it and it works great.:twocents:

:smilieicon_ford:

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And I never said an eco-boost was bad. If you go back to the beginning of the thread you'll see it was a question on how they compare to each other and that he heard the 6.2 is a pig on fuel. And the facts are coming out that in fact it isn't as s*it hot on fuel as it is said to be. I used my Hemi's fuel mileage as a comparison to what mileage you said you were getting just as a further proof that the eco-boost does alright on fuel but it's not blowing a strong dependable v8 out of the water. And I never once bashed ford or said Dodge was better. In fact it was a very close decision for me between a ford(not the eco-boost) and a dodge. I almost bought a 6.2L ford but it all came down to the deal and it just wasn't there in the Ford.

good for your hemi. i dont recall saying hemis are bad and never buy one, if it wasent for that coil rear suspension i might b drivin one. I believe this forum was started because someone was wondering 6.2 or ecoboost,peeps that have one give there numbers and experiences for peoples can use that as info for themselves but like any other forums when someone is asking for help theres always the diehards to there brands that sit on the internet all day and look for the negative on some thing and then blab it to their friends. before u know it everyone hates it. its the same as sleds, quads, sidexsides. as for anyone buying a ecoboost cuz the factory numbers say 29mpg the better read the fine print cuz thats on a 2 wheel drive pickup at sea level

just sayin

wolverine68

Reaction score

You mean like a "6 cylinder" Cummins with a "fancy turbo"?

wolverine68

Reaction score
Your going to compare a v6 gasser to a I6 diesel? You might as well compare a smart car to a semi, it's about the same thing.

Just sayin that turbos have been around for years. The technology is not exactly "new' or "fancy". The Eco has some very impressive torque numbers at amazingly low rpm. I don't have one and I'm not saying that it's the "end all" engine, but it looks promising.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'll keep you guys posted but we are just waiting on some goodies for our ford stores eco boost but we are doing a edge evo ht programmer,afe silver bullet throttle body,afe stage 2 intake,afe mach force exhaust, levelling kit and some bmf novakane's wrapped in 305/50/20 nitto's it should be pretty sleek! I just love the power they make with just the chip,intake,throttle body,and exhaust there claiming close to 450 hp and over 500 torque thats pretty impressive I just wish they made the eco boost in the harley package and I would snap one up and sell the dmax.

Top Bottom