EcoBoost vs 6.2L in a F 150

xsyourride

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Been GMC man all my life and have been toying around the new F150 truck. They got some impressive numbers for fuel mileage and towing capabilies out of those new engines. Dealer is really pushing the ecoboost model. Just wondering if any one had any feed back of ther own on these.
Thanks

PowMower

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a few small issues reading that forum.. From what I here the 6.2 is a pig.
Anyone tried the 5?

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have about 5000km on my ecoboost and really have no conplaints. the one thing i don't like is the truck does seem to idle high at 1000 rpm when your coming from higher rpm's. If you let it sit for ten seconds or so it goes down lower. When in parking lots and shifting from forward to reverse and vise versa the truck really bangs into gear. If you wait a while after you stop it shifts fine. I have been told that when new the truck learns your driving style and will be rough driving for a little.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the ecoboost is really performing well! we have sold all our eco boosts and waiting and begging for more! the great part with the ecoboost is the power comes on at low rpm like a diesel making it a lot nicer towing motor but also a motor that is great and keeps power at elevation! the ecoboost can also be chipped up and make over 425+hp and I think just over 500 tq thats pretty impressive for a v6 half ton! 6.2 is a good motor with lots of hp but is a bit harder on fuel if it were my choice I would be going f150 ecoboost and probably add intake,exhaust,chip and really wake that truck up!

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
One of the guys that work for me has one he said it's the perfect grocery getter soccer mom truck get decent mileage still has a bed to haul bikes and such and has the capability of doing some towing just not in the hills. He said as a daily driver works good but don't buy it as a towing machine sure it can drag around stuff but not a quaility towing truck.

SavageCanuck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was considering an ecoboost until i read an extensive review from a guy in Winnepeg that pulled a TT to BC and back.He doccumented all 19 tanks and averaged approx 350km or less per tank on the smaller 98l tank.Sametowing mileage as my 08 silverado with 5.3.I went duramax

Mikew5j

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have almost 25,000 KM on my Eco now. I haven't had any issues with mine. It's a great daily driver and is more than capable of pulling my 27' enclosed. However... as it gets very decent mileage unloaded and light on the pedal, if it gets worked like a V8 it will use fuel like a V8. Simple fact. Having said that I love my Eco and I have absolutely no regrets. The power is impressive and comes on low down. It's not a replacement for a 1 ton diesel (what I drove for 8 years before this truck) but it's the next best thing. A lot less hassle and expense for someone that tows occasionally. I get a big grin on my face every time I lay into the pedal and hear the air rush through the turbos.

rondun

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have two buddies with the ecoboost, and buddies with the 6.2. They are both happy. The fuel econ pulling is still poor, ecoboost gets 8mpg and the 6.2 got 10.5 the ecoboost did have too rev higher and had a shake in the body. I have a 6.2l in my 2010 Chevy with a 3.42 diff and my buddy has a Rapter with a 6.2 with a 4.10. fuel econ is not the same mine 12.5l per 100km....his 15.5l per 100km. In a drag race he jumps me off the line but I pull him hard from 30 ft on....He wont race any more...??? or he wont even line up to me at a stop light.....???.....I enjoy the saying ...no replacement for displacement

Moose

Reaction score
i have a ecoboost and love it. went to valemount/mcbride last weekend pulling a 2 place with 2 m8's driving it fairly hard 120/130 km/h. put on 1850km and used 305 liters of fuel i didnt think it was to bad for driving it that hard. and also had lots of jam for passing wasnt un common to be on the governer. my dad has a 2011 5.0l and mines a 2011 we both use them for checking wells and we are getting the same milage. like others guys have said no regrets and would buy another one tomorrow.
go to youtube and search ecoboost vs 6.2l....

xsyourride

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's hard pill to swallow to go from diesel to gas.But to tow my fifth wheel 4 to 5 times or my boat 10 times a year in are nice short summers it doesn't seem justifiable for diesel as a daily driver any more. some pretty good feed back on those engines. Drove both 6.2 and eco big block sure sounds mean can't get over how that eco takes off and pulls hard. I'd be curious to see how it pulled with 10,500lbs behind it.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's hard pill to swallow to go from diesel to gas.But to tow my fifth wheel 4 to 5 times or my boat 10 times a year in are nice short summers it doesn't seem justifiable for diesel as a daily driver any more. some pretty good feed back on those engines. Drove both 6.2 and eco big block sure sounds mean can't get over how that eco takes off and pulls hard. I'd be curious to see how it pulled with 10,500lbs behind it.

Problem is, look at the gear ratio you need to get that tow rating on the eco boost, not good for empty fuel economy. I bet it would be fine a few times a year, but if your towing a lot near 10,500lbs i'd be worried about how long that engine will take working that hard 10,500 is a decent load you'll feel with a 2500/3500 diesel, nevermind a little gas engine in a 1500.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
But I agree with your logic in a 1500, that is what I just did to. I plan to pull around 10,500lbs a few times a year. But I got the biggest engine the 1500 has to make sure it can tow it.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

BIGFOOT

Reaction score
One of the guys that work for me has one he said it's the perfect grocery getter soccer mom truck get decent mileage still has a bed to haul bikes and such and has the capability of doing some towing just not in the hills. He said as a daily driver works good but don't buy it as a towing machine sure it can drag around stuff but not a quaility towing truck.

.... U just sayin that cause you are a Ram guy !

Top Bottom