Early season riding and spring riding sled transportation

altaredneck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just sold my 1 ton truck with the sled deck and downsized to a half ton as I only really needed my big truck to haul sleds around on. I have a little enclosed trailer now but some places you don’t want to drag it can get u into trouble. Thinking about getting one of those 2 place flat aluminum trailers and wondering how durable they are to drag around in the spring aswell as tow up the logging roads. I figure I could always flip it around on the road manually if needed. I will be hauling two sleds. Kinda miss my big truck and deck now lol. Just wasn’t practical to take kids to their activities. As well don’t want to be the guy with the sled deck on the 5’6” box either. Thx for any advice

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
two place open trailers are tough as nails and yes super easy to maneuver in a pinch. Downside is your sleds get just chit pumped with road schmoo. If you get one make sure it has an enormous salt shield and have really good fitting covers on the sleds. A trip through the car wash at each end of the drive is a good idea too.

GreyGhost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just sold my 1 ton truck with the sled deck and downsized to a half ton as I only really needed my big truck to haul sleds around on. I have a little enclosed trailer now but some places you don’t want to drag it can get u into trouble. Thinking about getting one of those 2 place flat aluminum trailers and wondering how durable they are to drag around in the spring aswell as tow up the logging roads. I figure I could always flip it around on the road manually if needed. I will be hauling two sleds. Kinda miss my big truck and deck now lol. Just wasn’t practical to take kids to their activities. As well don’t want to be the guy with the sled deck on the 5’6” box either. Thx for any advice

I would highly highly recommend getting a steel one! Speaking from experience they bounce and don’t track as nice as a steel one

Jorg Jorgenson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would highly highly recommend getting a steel one! Speaking from experience they bounce and don’t track as nice as a steel one

For the last several years we have towed around a steel 2 place which worked great never any issues however now with many years of road salt and grime etc even with frequent cleaning after every trip it has taken its toll. It’s a 20-25yr trailer though... we just purchased an aluminum one this past spring and took it with us on a late May trip can’t say as we noticed a difference but generally aluminum might crack easier with lots of bouncing around. Just don’t fly up or down the trail if you don’t have to. The spin-ability of a 2 place has really helped us in some early and late season pinches.. its a nice way to travel 3 guys 1 on a deck 2 on an open 2 place. Big salt shield a must

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe a $hitty aluminum one, spend the dough, buy a good one and set it up properly. I got the larger capacity axle,increased wheel and tire size from stock, upgraded to a good salt guard, put a nice double wheel jack on it for maneuvering plus all the bells and whistles.I just sold that beauty last year, was the best pulling 2 place open deck trailer I have ever pulled or had and Ive had a few steel ones before this. Everyone who pulled it said the same thing. Steel is ok but just rots and looks like $hit after a few years so requires way more upkeep.

Dutchman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Over the years I've used various open double trailers.
1....Steel trailer with 2200# axle, worked fine, until rust got a hold of it. The paint don't last long and it fell apart, Had to weld several times to keep it going.
2....Featherlite tilt Aluminum. the one with those fat stubby tires. bought off buddy, used for several years, sold to another buddy. Worked great and still going strong.
3....Triton aluminum tilt. C/w 3500# torsion axle and 15" tires. Same idea as featherlite but way higher off the ground.

Both aluminums never had issues with welds breaking or lighting problems. If you do get in a tight spot, unhook and turn around by hand. The Triton did have a front shield and superglides on it. As mentioned, need a good cover when driving in the slop. Would still have the Triton but I was tired of cleaning my machines, so finally bought an small enclosed.

Attachments

• 20191117_131749 (3).jpg
    20191117_131749 (3).jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 317

canuck5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’ve always loved my big enclosed but I’m back to a deck again just to convenient on logging roads I’m convinced a heated enclosed deck would be the ultimate . What about a cross over like a triton clam shell or tc model. Kinda the best of everything sealed salt protection light enough to whip around by hand.

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’ve always loved my big enclosed but I’m back to a deck again just to convenient on logging roads I’m convinced a heated enclosed deck would be the ultimate . What about a cross over like a triton clam shell or tc model. Kinda the best of everything sealed salt protection light enough to whip around by hand.

ive always been intrigued by those clam ones. I wonder how many guys have dummied into them while loading drunk haha

JungleJim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ive always been intrigued by those clam ones. I wonder how many guys have dummied into them while loading drunk haha
Teth-Air has a clam shell and it works great! Particularly for 155 and 165 sleds. Bit heavy if needing to turn it by hand all the time, but can be done in a pinch. I have a used galvanized open two place which is good for short distances as no salt shield. PIA dealing with tarps so prefer my deck.

Top Bottom