Hauling sled in pickup box

Grouser

Reaction score
When I was a kid it was nothing to stick your 8.5 foot long sled into your 8 foot truck box and drive away. Could even raise the sled a bit and close the gate. Now of course sleds are longer and boxes are shorter and higher. If I were to want to haul my sled in a 76 inch box it would hang out about two feet. Any tips on ramps, tying the sled down, glides for the box bed floor, safety etc?

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I put a piece of 3/4 inch plywood in the box to protect it and cut it so it hangs out an inch past the tailgate. Also keeps the tail gate from trying to close while loading.

I use a tri fold ramp from princess auto.

I only use it for loading. I put the sled in reverse and just ride it out when unloading.

I strap to the a arms on the front to the factory tie down points and one on the back on the track or rear sissor to the rear factory tie down points.

Last edited:

greenthumb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I put a piece of 3/4 inch plywood in the box to protect it and cut it so it hangs out an inch past the tailgate. Also keeps the tail gate from trying to close while loading.

I use a tri fold ramp from princess auto.

I only use it for loading. I put the sled in reverse and just ride it out when unloading.

I strap to the a arms on the front to the factory tie down points and one on the back on the track or rear sissor to the rear factory tie down points.
This ^^ I went deckless for years and this was the same system I used.

I would add a couple straps going from the sled to the back tie downs as well though. To keep the sled from moving forward.
Front of the box isn't that strong and helps reduce damage in a minor mishap. I even do it on my sled deck.

One buddy was sitting in a drive thru, light rear-ender, wrote off a 2 year old truck because the back of the cab got pushed in.
Another slid into a snowbank. No damage to front of truck, but it was enough to bend the skis up and pop the back glass.

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought a used tailgate and use it all winter and firewood season. I have a piece of plywood cut to about 6 feet. I put the plywood just close to the end of tailgate and use my trifold ramp to drive the sled on or off. I also grinded the carbides off. when I am done sledding and getting firewood I put my good tailgate back on. Auto wreckers have lots of used tailgates

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought a used tailgate and use it all winter and firewood season. I have a piece of plywood cut to about 6 feet. I put the plywood just close to the end of tailgate and use my trifold ramp to drive the sled on or off. I also grinded the carbides off. when I am done sledding and getting firewood I put my good tailgate back on. Auto wreckers have lots of used tailgates
Thats a great idea! What kind of money do they charge?

Top Bottom