E Module fix?

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sled in question is an 08 summit, with the 800R.

So while doing some things to my machine last night, I noticed that the E module is cracked in front of the primary. It's obviously not enough to make a huge issue, but it's something I want to get done this summer. I'm not adverse to wrenching, just trying to gauge how big of a job I will be looking at.

Along the same lines, if I need to pull the engine anyways, I may as well do a top end. Which leads me to my next question, I'm hovering at 3200k currently, and will likely crack 4000 before the season is through. A guy should go through with a crank at that mileage with this opportunity no? I know the 08s had crank issues, so it would make sense to get it rebuilt while it's ripped out of the machine. Might I be better off getting a shortblock or doing a rebuild? I would opt for a reman'd crank with bearings etc if I went the rebuild route.

This really puts a large dent in my 'wantstobuyadirtbike' fund, but so is life I suppose.

Input?

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are you sure it's the E-Module that's cracked or is it the motor mount pictured below? I recently had that mount break on me. I was able to change it in under 2 hours without removing the motor. These mounts commonly break in the 08s because the rubber stopper under it is too hard. If this is broke though it puts a lot of stress on the motor mount bolts causing the bolts to break. This often leads to the primary and secondaries colliding. :eek:

As far as the motor's concerned if the cases and jugs are good there's no sense in short blocking. I would just go the rebuild route.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    24.4 KB · Views: 356

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are you sure it's the E-Module that's cracked or is it the motor mount pictured below? I recently had that mount break on me. I was able to change it in under 2 hours without removing the motor. These mounts commonly break in the 08s because the rubber stopper under it is too hard. If this is broke though it puts a lot of stress on the motor mount bolts causing the bolts to break. This often leads to the primary and secondaries colliding. :eek:

As far as the motor's concerned if the cases and jugs are good there's no sense in short blocking. I would just go the rebuild route.

Wish I could be so lucky, It's the E module for sure. Spent some time poking around the parts fiche last night. It's just the top bolt on the clutch side front 'arm' for lack of a better term. The more I read, the bigger a job it seems, though it gives me a prime time to rip the motor apart and do a rebuild with it on a bench.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
take a picture. but id say ride it.

as far as the engine.

regrease pto and mag bearings. check crank runout throw a set of pistons in it if required and throw another 5000k on it

this can be done motor in

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Dont want to hijack this thread but i will ask for him. Which pistons are all you guys using on your 800R rebuilds?? Single or double rings??

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
take a picture. but id say ride it.

as far as the engine.

regrease pto and mag bearings. check crank runout throw a set of pistons in it if required and throw another 5000k on it

this can be done motor in

I fully intend to ride it until the season is over, I will grab a photo after work today and post it up for further insight.

As for the piston thing, I was going to go with stock doo pistons. I held a double ring piston next to a stocker and it was pretty light in comparison. I think some beef may be appropriate for something like this, no?

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
no. mcb dual ring piston. the lighter the piston the faster it raps. thats why i use wisecos you can actually notice a performance difference with them being a few grams lighter than stock.

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds fair, but I have seen a set of MCB dual ring pistons that the pin had let go on, after 400km? Looked pretty ugly. Bad install?

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
when was that? mcb had some issues with those pins in the earlier days. all is well now with there new versions.

but if your not comfortable with mcb nothing wrong with a doo piston either.

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not super sure when it let go, would have been this season. Didn't know the guy who had it happened, just saw the carnage on a bench

kjb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just picked up a wiesco top end kit in montana for $289.00 for my 800HO. I got quoted $580 in calgary. IF you don't want to spend your hard earned money localy.

BRP QSC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hmm seems that everybody fixes the 08's instead of junking them or buying newer... that was my plan this summer

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hmm seems that everybody fixes the 08's instead of junking them or buying newer... that was my plan this summer

If I could sell it with a clear conscience, I would upgrade. Since I cannot, I will fix it.

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I fully intend to ride it until the season is over, I will grab a photo after work today and post it up for further insight.

As for the piston thing, I was going to go with stock doo pistons. I held a double ring piston next to a stocker and it was pretty light in comparison. I think some beef may be appropriate for something like this, no?

Did you get a chance to snap a pic yet. I'm interested to see where it let go. I've taken some big hits on the pto side so I hope I'm not in the same boat.

flabbajabba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's just the top bolt on the clutch side front 'arm' for lack of a better term. .

If your talking about the little 10mm bolt on the top thats right where mine broke. I changed the "E-module 518325410" and the "518324860 Front Suspension Support" I noticed the broken piece of the E right away but wow was the Front Suspension Support ever bent when I got it out. I bolted mine in it took two evenings to get it out and back in. Hardest part was finding a way to get the rivets out. The best thing I found was a air-chisel to split the nut part of the rivet, then they just tap out.

Mine was broke on the mag side I have the "E" still sitting at home you could just change the "arm" on the clutch side it rivets in as well. You can have the one off mine if you want I don't think its bent but who knows?

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If your talking about the little 10mm bolt on the top thats right where mine broke. I changed the "E-module 518325410" and the "518324860 Front Suspension Support" I noticed the broken piece of the E right away but wow was the Front Suspension Support ever bent when I got it out. I bolted mine in it took two evenings to get it out and back in. Hardest part was finding a way to get the rivets out. The best thing I found was a air-chisel to split the nut part of the rivet, then they just tap out.

Mine was broke on the mag side I have the "E" still sitting at home you could just change the "arm" on the clutch side it rivets in as well. You can have the one off mine if you want I don't think its bent but who knows?

That's the spot. I keep forgetting to grab a photo when I get home from work. It's going back on the truck today, I'll be sure to snap a photo. I may just rip it all the way down and get it fixed right, machine has been real good to me, it deserves a rebuild, haha.

BRP QSC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If I could sell it with a clear conscience, I would upgrade. Since I cannot, I will fix it.

Isnt that the truth.... I rebuilt a engine and replaced all the front end parts on one of my sleds so that i could sell it. It made me feel good that someone was going to get a good sled and they didnt have to spend huge dollars to get into the sport... kinda thought about keeping it after that cause it was strong and solid. but i did that to upgrade

Top Bottom