Drivers License Abstracts, do they transfer when you move provinces?

talkinghamster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ive heard someone say they don't. called registries couldnt get a clear answer.

basically what im asking, is if i took my alberta drivers license, and moved to sasketchewan and got a sasketchewan drivers license, would my abstracts transfer or would i have a clean slate?

when i was younger i swapped my alberta learners for a sasketchewan one, got my license in 9 months instead of 12. took my road test and then swapped it the next week for an alberta one. so im wondering if there is some sort of loop hole to clear abstracts without having too wait?

sorry, bizzare question i know..

legal benders of snow and mud feel free to chime in.

d mills

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ive heard someone say they don't. called registries couldnt get a clear answer.

basically what im asking, is if i took my alberta drivers license, and moved to sasketchewan and got a sasketchewan drivers license, would my abstracts transfer or would i have a clean slate?

when i was younger i swapped my alberta learners for a sasketchewan one, got my license in 9 months instead of 12. took my road test and then swapped it the next week for an alberta one. so im wondering if there is some sort of loop hole to clear abstracts without having too wait?

sorry, bizzare question i know..

legal benders of snow and mud feel free to chime in.
Trying to get rid of the GDL?

talkinghamster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i can get my GDL in Febuary so im not concerned about that.

the thing im most concerned about is i was a dumbass a couple years ago, and got a suspension for too many demerits.

now on my abstract it says i had a suspension for demerits. i only have three demerits right now for one thing.

i just dont want my abstract to say i have had a suspension.

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your best source will be a long haul trucker, they usually know this game by heart.

teamgreen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It follows you. I had an Alberta licence and moved to Manitoba. All my Alberta offences(two, one speeding and one failure to provide insurance) were on my Manitoba abstract when applying for jobs back in Alberta.

talkinghamster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ahhh damn. thats what i figured. time to play the waiting game then

i really wish i could kick young me in the a$$ right now lol

mb1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think that's the right answer but there may be loopholes. I moved around a lot ( about 10 years ago now ) and I'm sure my mistakes didn't all stick on the abstracts.

polaris011

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have some buddies that have tried this and sometimes it worked sometimes not... kinda like when you get a ticket out of province sometimes it follows and catches up to ya other time you never hear of it agian

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im not sure about that, know a guy who live in southern BC and got a impaired, hew quickly moved to Calgary, got a new DL there only to get another impaired a few months later then he quickly moved to sask and got a new DL. He waited until his one year suspension was over in BC and moved back. Maybe the transfer of information between provinces is faster now then it was 10 years ago.

gordhunt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its all computerized now not like the old days

Sent from my S4

Toyboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ahhh damn. thats what i figured. time to play the waiting game then

i really wish i could kick young me in the a$$ right now lol

Your gonna be waiting a long time. Suspensions never dissapear only demerits. Your abstract only shows your last three years but to the popo it is always there.

Last time i got pulled over he recited my last 12 years to me suspensions included.

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my friend's son got an impaired in Alberta (he is originally from BC) and lost his licence. So, he renewed his BC license and to his amazement he got his BC licence with no impaired charges showing from Alberta. That was last year. Go figure.

talkinghamster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yea my dad said that this used to work in the 90s..

heres my story, last year i decided to DD on new years eve, i only have my GDL so no alcohol allowed.

i had one beer two hours before driving, got pulled over in front of the bar i was picking my friends up at, cops asked if i had anything to drink

(i was trying to be responsible) so i told him i wasn't going to lie, and i had one beer about two hours ago.

que the breathalizer. i blew 0.02 (legal limit 0.05)

cop wont here me out or cut me a break, impounds my truck and takes my license on the spot. all while drunk folks are heading towards vehicles that he doesnt bat an eye at.

and then he has the nerve to ask me about my truck and starts asking questions about it. like F%#@ off buddy..

teamgreen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yea my dad said that this used to work in the 90s..

heres my story, last year i decided to DD on new years eve, i only have my GDL so no alcohol allowed.

i had one beer two hours before driving, got pulled over in front of the bar i was picking my friends up at, cops asked if i had anything to drink

(i was trying to be responsible) so i told him i wasn't going to lie, and i had one beer about two hours ago.

que the breathalizer. i blew 0.02 (legal limit 0.05)

cop wont here me out or cut me a break, impounds my truck and takes my license on the spot. all while drunk folks are heading towards vehicles that he doesnt bat an eye at.

and then he has the nerve to ask me about my truck and starts asking questions about it. like F%#@ off buddy..

Breaks are a nicety. Unfortunately you broke the rules and got caught; we all have the stories including myself.

i can get my GDL in Febuary so im not concerned about that.

the thing im most concerned about is i was a dumbass a couple years ago, and got a suspension for too many demerits.

now on my abstract it says i had a suspension for demerits. i only have three demerits right now for one thing.

i just dont want my abstract to say i have had a suspension.

Guess if you were suspended due to demerits you dont learn very quick tho

talkinghamster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Breaks are a nicety. Unfortunately you broke the rules and got caught; we all have the stories including myself.

Guess if you were suspended due to demerits you dont learn very quick tho

yup no need for a sob story $hit happens!!

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my friend's son got an impaired in Alberta (he is originally from BC) and lost his licence. So, he renewed his BC license and to his amazement he got his BC licence with no impaired charges showing from Alberta. That was last year. Go figure.
I've never had an impaired in AB but have had a few tickets that don't show in BC. My sister got caught doing 210km/hr on the Henday cop took her DL on the spot, she quickly moved back to BC and renewed her steering papers not showing any infractions. Have been told that alberta drivers getting tickets in BC will show up in alberta, thank goodness not the other way around. Recently I was cleaning out the office and found the papers from the gov't fearing I might be in some trouble I called to see if maybe there were some warrants or something but everything came back negative. Must have got off lucky some place.

E-Zmoke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here is a good one:

Born and raised in BC, had a BC drivers license when I was 16-18 Moved to Alberta when I was 18, and got a Alberta drivers license. I go to BC all the time and seem to get tickets every time I go to BC for some stupid reason. I usually don't pay for them as they dont come up on my AB DL

Anyways a couple years ago I got pulled over and got handed a bunch of bullsht tickets on my Alberta drivers license. I didn't pay for the tickets even after they sent the conviction notices to my alberta address. I go home this last summer and their was some mail for me. I thought it was kind of weird as I had not had any mail their in years and years. I opened it up and to my surprise ICBC had now put the tickets on my old expired BC drivers license even though I have not had a BC drivers license for 14yrs. I didn't know they could do that? It's an expired license from 14 yrs ago, and I got the tickets on an Alberta license! The document has both my Alberta DL # and my old BC DL # on it. It's some sort of driving record search and them recommending me to take driver improvement course?

Last edited:

d mills

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've never had an impaired in AB but have had a few tickets that don't show in BC. My sister got caught doing 210km/hr on the Henday cop took her DL on the spot, she quickly moved back to BC and renewed her steering papers not showing any infractions. Have been told that alberta drivers getting tickets in BC will show up in alberta, thank goodness not the other way around. Recently I was cleaning out the office and found the papers from the gov't fearing I might be in some trouble I called to see if maybe there were some warrants or something but everything came back negative. Must have got off lucky some place.
Thank goodness a dangerous driver who was caught doing over 2 times the limit is still able to get a license and potentially endanger others in the future.

Pinner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Even if the driving record didn't follow you it would only show X amount of time. For example if you got a Sask licence today and showed an employer next week a clean abstract it would say no convictions for the one week... You could hope the employer wouldn't notice.

SIRsleeper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im not sure about that, know a guy who live in southern BC and got a impaired, hew quickly moved to Calgary, got a new DL there only to get another impaired a few months later then he quickly moved to sask and got a new DL. He waited until his one year suspension was over in BC and moved back. Maybe the transfer of information between provinces is faster now then it was 10 years ago.

I know a guy who did similar and got busted with his out of province plates visiting his family over Christmas, they flat out cut up his card on the side of the road.

When I came to Alberta 8 years ago, I had two
Accidents follow as minor tickets without demerits and my 6+ fines went missing... Made for one happy guy getting insurance quotes since they dropped in half!

Top Bottom