Drift or Go Pro??

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
LOL lucky Mabe tam ???

K I never had a issue last winter with it hanging on the safety.

But quading this year 2 times. But then there is more close combat with trees ect than winter.

And it wasnt the sticky that came off just the Velcro did

sent from my htc

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the Drift has a lot more standard features that you have to pay extra for on the go pro. I really like the drift, I have the hd drift, go pro, and a vio pov.hd....I find I use the drift a lot more than the other 2.

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feed back. I'll rig up a teather to be on the safe side.

Junior Highmark

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My Contour Roam is actually perfect for what I need.

1080p, Battery can last all day, stuck a big memory card in so I can record all day if I want, VERY simple on/off sliding switch.. Lens can rotate and its got a laser button on the back you can push to turn on the laser to level the lens.

Those fin looking things are on for the mounts. They slide on and clip in place with a tether so there is no way to lose it without the whole bracket tearing off, theres all sorts of different brackets to.

That big thing on the top is the on off switch.

Contour has a really nice video editing software as well.
contour_roam_bg.jpg

Last edited:

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I doubled mine up.

U can't count on the mount either.

And at 200 plus a safety is worth it.

sent from my htc

What are you using for a tether?
I lost my Drift HD last year. I knew where I lost it but once it's under the snow... it's gone!
I bought another one and I definitely want to add a tether.

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I lost my Drift HD last year. I knew where I lost it but once it's under the snow... it's gone!
I bought another one and I definitely want to add a tether.

I'm interested in what set up you guys are using as well.

Mik-B

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

For my GoPro, I went and bought some 12" steel fishing leaders. I hook one end to the camera, and the other end to a small hole that I drilled right beside one of the vents in my helmet.

I haven't had to test the tether yet. The GoPro mounts have been strong enough for everything I've hit, so far, but it's comforting to have it on there.

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It is brilliant, but I can't take credit for it. I definitely read it on some forum (might very well have been this one).

Regardless if it was your idea or not thanks for passing it on.

Toyboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For my GoPro, I went and bought some 12" steel fishing leaders. I hook one end to the camera, and the other end to a small hole that I drilled right beside one of the vents in my helmet.

I haven't had to test the tether yet. The GoPro mounts have been strong enough for everything I've hit, so far, but it's comforting to have it on there.

Same here but i put the other end on one of my visor screws and siliconed the screw threads when i put it back in. Tore it off the velcro and the cam smacked me in the side of the helmut so i knew right away.

TB

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had gopro for couple yrs now and would go with drift next time. I think the pro is a pain in the arssss when trying to turn on and dont know if it went on or not. Like the ideal of wrist band for on and off.

Junior Highmark

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I was told you should never drill holes in your helmet ever, because you are modifying the integrity of the helmet.

Mik-B

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was told you should never drill holes in your helmet ever, because you are modifying the integrity of the helmet.

That could very well be true. I thought of using the visor screw, but decided I didn't want to use tools to remove the tether, every time.

The hole I drilled is about 1/8" and is directly beside a vent, which is a hole. I feel as safe as I did before. Good heads-up though.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I used the visor screw and one of those fake climbers quick clips.

Slide the cam into the mount and slide the teather in to the clip.

The visor bolt longer and a big washer over the small end
sent from my htc

Last edited:

Grinder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the Drift HD mini and the 170HD. I have it mounted under the visor so no helmet in view and I can see the camera at all times. There is a waterproof case for the mini cam. Here is a video with the 170 HD.

Dakota crash site crowsnest pass - YouTube

This is with the mini, not much difference other than size of camera

Ruby Falls Sept 24 11 - YouTube

The mount is the side helmet mount riveted under visor so the camera is out front by about 1-2cm.

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have to find somewhere other than my helmet to mount my drift. I look around way too much and my videos will make astronauts and blind people sick.
I'm going to play with mounting it on my shovel handle extended frommy backpack.
There was a guy a few years ago that mounted his camera with a rig on his spindle. The camera was pointed at him and it was one of the best videos I've seen even nowand this was back in 05/06.

Toyboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the Drift HD mini and the 170HD. I have it mounted under the visor so no helmet in view and I can see the camera at all times. There is a waterproof case for the mini cam. Here is a video with the 170 HD.

Dakota crash site crowsnest pass - YouTube

This is with the mini, not much difference other than size of camera

Ruby Falls Sept 24 11 - YouTube

The mount is the side helmet mount riveted under visor so the camera is out front by about 1-2cm.

Does it block your peripheral vision under the visor?

Launch Helmet Cams

Reaction score
I have to find somewhere other than my helmet to mount my drift. I look around way too much and my videos will make astronauts and blind people sick.
I'm going to play with mounting it on my shovel handle extended frommy backpack.
There was a guy a few years ago that mounted his camera with a rig on his spindle. The camera was pointed at him and it was one of the best videos I've seen even nowand this was back in 05/06.

Have you considered using the ? It provides a really immersive view, although mounting the camera on your shovel handle also sounds like a good idea too.

GoPro have just released their which can also be used for other cameras. The tether loops through the hing on the back door of the GoPro camera. With a Drift camera, we have found attaching it to the clip on the back is the best way to go. The anchor point still relies on an adhesive base, so it's not going to be as sturdy as attaching to a fixed point on your helmet (visor hole is a good place to start; I'd be very wary about drilling a hole in my helmet) but it does mean you are a lot less likely to lose your camera.

Top Bottom