Drift or Go Pro??

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i went with the drift innovation hd170 for many things.... it's more slender [ don't get hit as easy ] , u can mount it anywhere [ and turn the lens ] , and the remote switch [ no fumbaling to turn it on and can still ride and turn it on ]...

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
but jeff you are supposed to point it down the trail or on riders ahead of you. not pointing at your face all day bwwwwaaaaaahhhhhh

HardcoreRMK

Reaction score
I got the GoPro and I'am not disapointed it's easy to use just hold the botton down for a second and ride then the same to turn it off.I don't like the Drift(the way it's desined) and yes the GoPro is hitting this sometimes but if you get used to giving the top of your head 2inches more you won't hit anything..GoPro all the way..

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One other thing I forgot is drifts have a screen ... That way u can delete if u missed something or take a video to make sure Ur mounted right with the right view.

Also drifts can take still pics at will.

sent from my htc

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One other thing I forgot is drifts have a screen ... That way u can delete if u missed something or take a video to make sure Ur mounted right with the right view.

Also drifts can take still pics at will.

sent from my htc[/QUOTE

]who is will and why you taking still pics of him?

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
THX for the replies. I like the Remote idea, looks like Go Pro has that as well as an upgrade. Did the Remote come standard with the Drift? Or was it an upgrade as well?
I thought I heard someone say the drift has GPS so you can see a track of where you went? Not a big deal if not as just about any PDA will do that with an App no a days. (I've used and tested many when running).
I like the smaller size of the new Drift, replaceable lenses is I neat idea as well.
Price is a big selling point too. I'll have to sit down and see all the accessories they come with. Looks to be a lot of different options as far as packages.
The drif looks like it has a pile of accessories as does Go Pro. Looks like the price can get out of hand fast.
That will be the other problem........ what do you need as accessories ? Don't want to buy a bunch of stuff and never use it.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
THX for the replies. I like the Remote idea, looks like Go Pro has that as well as an upgrade. Did the Remote come standard with the Drift? Or was it an upgrade as well?
I thought I heard someone say the drift has GPS so you can see a track of where you went? Not a big deal if not as just about any PDA will do that with an App no a days. (I've used and tested many when running).
I like the smaller size of the new Drift, replaceable lenses is I neat idea as well.
Price is a big selling point too. I'll have to sit down and see all the accessories they come with. Looks to be a lot of different options as far as packages.
The drif looks like it has a pile of accessories as does Go Pro. Looks like the price can get out of hand fast.
That will be the other problem........ what do you need as accessories ? Don't want to buy a bunch of stuff and never use it.

Remote is standard.

sent from my htc

nd4spd

Reaction score
never had or used the Drift.. looks nice though. I have the GoPro and have been happy with it so far. you can get a screen for it but that is an extra 100$ and they are also coming out with an app that will use wi-fi to your phone; not sure on all the details of that. I have beat the crap out of my gopro and it still works; the suction cup came off my car at a high level of speed and didn't break.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had the old GoPro non HD. The only thing of quality on the GoPros is the case and mounts. The camera inside is a cheesy cheap piece of plastic. The switches stopped working on my original GP after 2 seasons...threw it in the trash. I bought the original Drift 170 (non HD) and used it for 2 seasons...no issues. The remote is a great feature....makes for much less video editing. You turn it on and off as you see fit while you ride....no sense recording hours of trail riding that nobody wants to see. I gave the 170 non HD to a buddy's kid who is still using it. Second season on the 170 HD and like it just as much.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Navy Seals use Go Pro. Just sayn'.....
GoPro is waterproof to certain depths and has a case to go as deep as you want. The Drift is only waterproof to 1m....so "waterproof", but don't use underwater. Mine has been rained and snowed on a ton, plus I wash it off in the sink as to not scratch the lense...no issues. But I wouldn't scuba dive with it.

Mythbusters use GoPro too. Like I said, the best thing about the GP is the case and the mounts. You can stick them on anything at any angle and adjust to get a good vid.

krazy c

Reaction score
I have had the drift 170 for a couple years now with no problems! Have taken many spills with it also and it still works great. The remote is sure handy to have also!

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So two very good cameras from the sounds of it. Thanks for all your input. Still undecided but at least I know now both are good units.

tool_man

Reaction score
Had a go pro and replaced it with a drift, better features and so easy to use!

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Finally made up my mind and picked up a drift. Are those sticky pads really going to hold the camera in place?

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes they do a good job.
But still put some kind of teather on it. As a back up.. i have stoped before and had mine hanging

sent from my htc

Last edited:

4x4racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i got both and the drift is great with the remote comes with it and comes with a handle bar mount easy to turn on and off and two diffrent beeps so u know if it is recording or not

Taminator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Highfly...I use a Drift and haven't lost it yet.:) The sticky mounts seem to work well. It also can mount to other things easily with the screw mount. We use a GoPro too, and like both cams but the most useful features on the Drift to us are the viewing screen and the adjustable lens, you can get your shot set up how you like easily and not rely on the mount location as much. We use it handheld sometimes for those times you need a vid cam quick too. The GoPro has resulted in some nice shots of the ground and the sky sometimes...lol :rolleyes:

Top Bottom