dot regulations in bc!

ackid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
big heads up to anyone going west this winter! i was stopped in the tims parking lot in golden this spring by rcmp and dot. if u are running a deck u have to have a light and flag if u are 1.5 m or more overhang from your taillights. each sled needs one of these setups. we used a 2 " marker light and the gromet, then mounted it to a orange wide load flag 30 cm x 30 cm. then we straped them to each sled. then just wired into the taillight plug in on the back of the truck. im sure that i will have a better set up this winter. make sure you are tide down good as well. super clamps are good on the front, but the back is were they found a problem! i use ratchet straps to go over the track around back to the deck, one was good and the other one was not. the reason was because it could move side to side, not what they want to see. the one guy(rcmp) wanted to see a strap to go over each sled, over the seat and tunnel. i told him there was no way i was going to do that or was any other sledder out there!! then a dot guy pulled up. he said what i had as a set up was good other than to mack sure that the sleds could not move side to side as well. by this time the cop left because the dot guy kind of over ruled him on what he thought was supossed to be done! i asked a few other ?s that i had to the guy as well. one was lift kits, whats the deal? if u are 4" less u are fine. but if u are a inch more look out. i bc you are to have a lifted truck inspected every 6 months, and its law. he said its all on the ministry of bc s site, but i cant under stand their site. there are a few more things he said that we are not following the rules on. and the fines are high.

bcboy

Reaction score
i'am in bc my deck is high on my truck i always put a rachet strap throught the front ,one over the track and one which is purple from my rear sled bumper to the holes drill where my ramp sits and have never had a complaint.

i drive fast so i make sure everything is tied down . i made the mistake of letting my buddy tie his on the trailer and lets just say i was a yard sale then hes like to me :rant: and i was like u should have let me tie it down :d

oh and as far as lifted trucks go i have a 4inch lift and they tried giving me a ticket i told them to stuff it and one for no mud flaps (they r bolt on) and the said i needed fender flares which i had so i just told him no i will not take the ticket and i always carry the tape measure with me to .

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If anyone has the chance to talk to a Dotty dude or gal, ask them if the superclamp rear hold downs are acceptable.

Shredder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wonder if a set of the rear Superclamps would be good enough for the back?:confused: As for the lift kits; I can't see how they can enforce that on a truck legally registered and in Alberta that is just in BC for a short period of time. :rolleyes:

Fallen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
does anyone know if the new toyota turdra can handle a sled deck with two sleds?

2manykids

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wonder if a set of the rear Superclamps would be good enough for the back?:confused: As for the lift kits; I can't see how they can enforce that on a truck legally registered and in Alberta that is just in BC for a short period of time. :rolleyes:

To be put simple " when in Rome do as the Romans"

Yes DOT can fine you for it. It doesnt matter where you are from.
Take the legal age for driking 18 in alberta 19 in bc, same thing.

Not apple and apple but you get the picture, sorry to be the guy that brings the bad news. Will you get a break if you are out of province, probley unless you are beng a total azzhat.

Trust me when i say a DOT can put you on the side of the road. A little please and thank you goes along way with DOT.

ackid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

he said that any lift over 4" has to be inspected even if its from alberta! they dont care if u are ab insured and registered! we are on there roads, their rules!

ackid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
To be put simple " when in Rome do as the Romans"

Yes DOT can fine you for it. It doesnt matter where you are from.
Take the legal age for driking 18 in alberta 19 in bc, same thing.

Not apple and apple but you get the picture, sorry to be the guy that brings the bad news. Will you get a break if you are out of province, probley unless you are beng a total azzhat.

Trust me when i say a DOT can put you on the side of the road. A little please and thank you goes along way with DOT.

almost the exact words from the dot guy. if u are nice u may have a chance! they are just doing there job and trying to make the roads as safe as they can! we have been lucky for the past, and as long as we all do what we can and not flip the bird things should ride smooth! if some idiot out there were to hurt me or my family because they think the rules are stupid i hope the get whats comming!

2manykids

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
almost the exact words from the dot guy. if u are nice u may have a chance! they are just doing there job and trying to make the roads as safe as they can! we have been lucky for the past, and as long as we all do what we can and not flip the bird things should ride smooth! if some idiot out there were to hurt me or my family because they think the rules are stupid i hope the get whats comming!

I get the pleasure of working with them from all over north america, as dealing with OD loads.

There are some simple and easy ways to get answers to questions.
Can i haul these sleds on this trailer/truck deck ?...... Weight it!! there are both public and gov scales. Dont forget body and gear weight count.

Check your tires just because " they are great i never get stuck" . Make sure they are rated for the correct weight. It is right on the sidewall, same place it tells you how much air goes in...lol

Got a question and really cant find an answer, stop at a goverment scale and ask. The person inside has no doubt been there for sometime watching trucks roll over a pad for hours. You can always call ahead. And if they dont know the answer off the top of ther head, they have means to an answer.
If you go in and do it spure of the moment , do it on your way home from a ride. You dont want to get turned around 24 kms from where you are gonna ride :eek:

This is just my :twocents:

99summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if lights came up in the conversation, I have reflective tape on all 4 corners but havn't got lights on yet.

2manykids

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if lights came up in the conversation, I have reflective tape on all 4 corners but havn't got lights on yet.

I would put lights on anything that hangs over the edge of the box.

It isnt hard to install either, can get parts @ pricess auto , crappy tire, or even fort gary. Take a simple trailer light package and install. For the guy with the track that is half off the deck use the signal and brake off the rear grab bar. Be a Mcgiver an find a quick way to toss it on and off, be as simple as a muffler wire " the stuff in a roll with all the holes in it" and a bit of rubber. 2 screws and they are on and off. Give both light for you and the guy behind.

Just my:twocents: from outside the box

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i know guys that have been given two options before either leave a sled on the side of the road or get someone to come pick it up, because they were over weight.. This happened over in terrace BC.. And the dot wouldn't let them drive anywhere with the truck, it had a deck on it.. But like has been said before, some common politeness can go along way at times when you are in a different province than you are from..

raceu4it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
and also i was informed last week that dot boys are going to be pulling in enclosed trailers headed west thru golden, and to make sure sleds inside are properly fastened down or:eek: you will be written up per sled.

RevBlk

Reaction score
This issue is raised every year. It is why I have a 1 ton. I personally would not put a deck & 2 sleds on a half ton. Will they fit? Absolutely. Is it safe? Nope. Will you make it to where your are going? Maybe. What really clued me in was a conversation I had with insurance agent. If you are exceeding your GVWR and there is an equipment failure and resulting damages. No coverage!!!!!!!!! Something to think about as your tooling down the Hwy. @110 kph + & your 1/2 ton axle fails. If you are lucky, it's just you stranded on the side of the road waiting for the big tow. Maybe you flop it in the ditch & crush your sled. $$$$$ Worse yet, what if the tire, hub etc., continues on & hits a mini van full of people? Or your vehicle does because it's out of control. The scenario just got really ugly for all involved. Not a chance I am willing to take. My .02.
Rev

bcboy

Reaction score
This issue is raised every year. It is why I have a 1 ton. I personally would not put a deck & 2 sleds on a half ton. Will they fit? Absolutely. Is it safe? Nope. Will you make it to where your are going? Maybe. What really clued me in was a conversation I had with insurance agent. If you are exceeding your GVWR and there is an equipment failure and resulting damages. No coverage!!!!!!!!! Something to think about as your tooling down the Hwy. @110 kph + & your 1/2 ton axle fails. If you are lucky, it's just you stranded on the side of the road waiting for the big tow. Maybe you flop it in the ditch & crush your sled. $$$$$ Worse yet, what if the tire, hub etc., continues on & hits a mini van full of people? Or your vehicle does because it's out of control. The scenario just got really ugly for all involved. Not a chance I am willing to take. My .02.
Rev

i have to agree with u. thats why i have a 1 ton dually i see people all the time with loads that should not be carrying . like this one guy towing a triple axle trailer with his f-150 and the hitch was about to break i said to him he should get a bigger truck he said it was find :nono: then he said u young guys don't know any thing :rant: then i started right there on this guy :nono:

Top Bottom